In 1 sentence - what 1 thing would you change about DCI?

Here we go (one sentence):

I would standardize the size of amps for the pit (smaller amps, less Db), have one mixing board and one mixer per show for which all the corps utilize and hook into when they setup, I would re-instate trooping the stands after a show, allow a corps to play a march or fan favorite while marching off the field, I would ban recorded voice in which singing or dialog is projected, and I would institute a secondary set of medals for corps with the top 3 most entertaining shows at DCI Semin-Finals (as voted on by the fans).

BTW, the Most Entertaining Shows would be held during semi-finals to give the top 17 corps a chance to grab a prize. All fans can vote, even those at home watching live on TV (via FN). There would be a text-message number setup for voting, and the top 3 voted corps receive $10,000 for 1st place, $7500 for 2nd place, and $5000 for 3rd place. Not bad.

This is a really excellent idea. With the demise of both Spirit of Disney and the Fan Network award, DCI no longer has any way to recognize entertainment separate from excellence. Concrete proposal, easy to implement. It would have been awesome to see Surf walk away with an entertainment medal in 2012!

I would remove direct competitors from having a say on the board of directors.

• Like 1

Off the cuff, I remember how fun it was to listen to Mark Sylvester comment on the corps' performances a few years back at one of the regionals. Maybe we can make him one of the visual GE judges and sell his judging tapes (audio) online. Could be some interesting calls, but more to the point I think you make a boatload of money on those tapes.

Remove Age Limit = bigger tent = more viewers = more profit

Eliminate this nonsense that DCI is anywhere close to being a Major League; axing the multimillion dollar per year touring system which is driving many corps bankrupt; and recognizing that this is an activity for 'youth performers' not an outlet for career-minded adults, oops, I mean over-aged children's egos.

Edited by Stu
  • Like 4