Why Such Vitriol on DCP?

I've been reading (and occasionally) posting to DCP for several years now. This is not the first "forum" of this type that I have participated in over the years, on a number of topics. I have NEVER seen such consistent MEANNESS in any forum other than DCP. There seems to be a huge number of nasty posts, which range from showing a lack of respect to outright cruelty to a previous poster. Sometime I gasp out loud when I read some of these mean comments. I just can't believe that people are so nasty, much less that they are willing to put it into writing in a medium where it will never completely disappear.

What is it about this forum that brings out such lack of common courtesy? such downright rudeness? such nastiness?

Don't tell me it's because it's a competitive activity and that people have a lot of passion for it. Other activities are just as competitive, and inspire just as much passion as drum corps, and the fans don't attack each other. Just because I'm a (Fill in the Blank) fan doesn't mean it's okay for me to totally slam someone else just because they like (Not "Fill in the Blank"). I'm passionate about my college team but I don't consider our rival's fans EVIL, and I don't say nasty things about them just because they happen to like a different university than I do.

I just don't get it. . .

I just wish we could all respect each other, and feel free to discuss our opinions without the fear of being personally attacked.

(I fully expect people will respond with comments that say I am wasting DCP bandwidth with this topic, that I'm an idiot, that I'm naïve, that I obviously haven't ever been on another forum, etc. I think that's sad. . . )

• Like 7

I do agree with this statement, but the problem is those that respond that way, won't see the light from a post like this :doh:

Keep fighting the good fight though :thumbup:

I actually disagree with the OP. For the most part I see nothing but good dialogue, healthy argument and discussion, and at times people being rather blunt but honest. None of those are what I'd call mean-spirited. They are absolutely necessary in a forum like this, and not just because DCI is competitive, but also because we are looking for a way to save the activity.

In a few cases things can get ugly, things do get said that are false or just bad generalizations about issues (like when Hop bashing or TOC bashing, etc.), and there have been some downright nasty comments.

For the most part, however, I'd say 90% of discussions are cordial, honest, with good debate and some healthy bluntness. At times a person's honest opinions of a show will hurt the feelings of fans of that corps, but in fairness they have a right to their opinions. The activity is better for that.

Edited by jwillis35
  • Like 8

You've never lurked/participated in any kind of officiating forum I'm guessing. If you think fans are tough on officials you ought to see how they treat each other (and these are, for the most part, HS officials with some low level college thrown in). Yeesh...

To your point, though, I agree that some of the posters here can get too personal/nasty. I deal with it by ignoring that stuff and skip ahead to more content-filled responses. If it gets really bad I'll just choose not to lurk/participate for a while and let the queue clear out.

Remember, the nastiness is not a reflection of you but of the person posting it. It's easier to deal with when you think of it that way.

• Like 1

I've been reading (and occasionally) posting to DCP for several years now. This is not the first "forum" of this type that I have participated in over the years, on a number of topics. I have NEVER seen such consistent MEANNESS in any forum other than DCP. There seems to be a huge number of nasty posts, which range from showing a lack of respect to outright cruelty to a previous poster. Sometime I gasp out loud when I read some of these mean comments. I just can't believe that people are so nasty, much less that they are willing to put it into writing in a medium where it will never completely disappear.

What is it about this forum that brings out such lack of common courtesy? such downright rudeness? such nastiness?

Don't tell me it's because it's a competitive activity and that people have a lot of passion for it. Other activities are just as competitive, and inspire just as much passion as drum corps, and the fans don't attack each other. Just because I'm a (Fill in the Blank) fan doesn't mean it's okay for me to totally slam someone else just because they like (Not "Fill in the Blank"). I'm passionate about my college team but I don't consider our rival's fans EVIL, and I don't say nasty things about them just because they happen to like a different university than I do.

I just don't get it. . .

I just wish we could all respect each other, and feel free to discuss our opinions without the fear of being personally attacked.

(I fully expect people will respond with comments that say I am wasting DCP bandwidth with this topic, that I'm an idiot, that I'm naïve, that I obviously haven't ever been on another forum, etc. I think that's sad. . . )

You're a naive idiot who's wasting DCP bandwidth and, obviously, has never been to any other forum. Jeesh!

Just kidding 440!

As to the snarky, childish, narcissistic behavior of some posters here, I think you're personalizing your observations way too much.

I'd suggest that, if you put all of the DCP "regulars" in the same room with an adequate supply of adult beverages, you'd find that we're all good friends.

Obviously, the people who frequent DCP have thick skin, strong personalities, and defined opinions. You don't NEED those qualities to survive here, but having them generally, makes the back-and-forth more fun.

If you don't have those things in you, then perhaps you need to go back to your knitting forum where the other thin-skinned gray-haired whiners play.

Oh, come on! That was funny!

:tongue:/>

• Like 4

I actually disagree. I mainly like to kibitz about show designs in the summer, and don't pay much attention the rest of the year. This season I've thought almost everyone has been very respectful. You get occasional snide comments, and right before Finals, on cue, people who just signed on or haven't been on all year cruise through to throw drive-by bombs about scores and other perceived injustices, etc.

Beyond that, though, it's Sunnybrook Farm, relatively speaking!

If you want to see lack of courtesy, rudeness or nastiness, check out the comments on any CNN article. Mercy. :ph34r:

I have NEVER seen such consistent MEANNESS in any forum other than DCP. There seems to be a huge number of nasty posts, which range from showing a lack of respect to outright cruelty to a previous poster. Sometime I gasp out loud when I read some of these mean comments. I just can't believe that people are so nasty, much less that they are willing to put it into writing in a medium where it will never completely disappear.

Well, my guess you are not a participant in any sports teams discussion message boards, as its mostly impossible to find a sports team ( college or Pro ) fan message board, imo, that is more tame and civil than DCP. Its all perspective and frame of reference I suppose. While there are occasional posters on here that from time step over the line with their comments and observations ( myself included in crossing that line I suppose from time to time ). I consider DCP a forum that is nowhere near the overall meanness that you just described. 90% of the posts on here are civil, respectful, funny, non threatening, and generally good natured... although oftentimes posters might disagree with one another's observations and assessments, and as one would expect, would bring that energy and passion to their postings regarding what it is that prompted them to post. You, yourself just brought that energy and passion for how you view thread topics in your post just now, and it certainly sparks a reply as to whether or not DCP is as jaded and as mean a fan site as you believe it to be. I hsppen to disagree with your overall assessment and observation of the overall postings and threads here on DCP. But thats ok, and thanks for sharing your thoughts here on DCP. :smile:

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

I actually disagree with the OP. For the most part I see nothing but good dialogue, healthy argument and discussion, and at times people being rather blunt but honest. None of those are what I'd call mean-spirited. They are absolutely necessary in a forum like this, and not just because DCI is competitive, but also because we are looking for a way to save the activity.

I disagree with the OP as well. While some can be negative / that's the case in any discussion and/or comment site. DCP is much better than, say, and NFL forum where the language and insulting can get downright vicious

Mod team here does a good job of staying "invisible" which is a good thing / too heavy-handed causes its own drama, but they still get rid of the actual trolls

They'll never be a "perfect" discussion site - but DCP comes darn close. Great job by the owner and forum folks here!

• Like 1