Why Such Vitriol on DCP?

RAMD wasn't completely bad. I found my lovely bride there.

Garry in Chicago (at the in-laws)

• Like 4

It has a lot more to do with the way the Internet works than anything else. People feel liberated from having to have any sort of manners or politeness when you cannot see them and will probably never meet them. I don't think it is more complicated than that.

I TOTALLY AGREE with the OP. In fact, I have reduced my visits to DCP as a result. I'm not a fan of some folks who attack even the most personal and well-considered opinions. And, when marching members of the activity shy away from DCP because of this, it does not bode well for the site.

• Like 2

I am most definitely not a troll. I'm just a drum corps fan who found this forum and try to use it to learn more about this activity that I love. The fact that some people have responded by questioning the OP (me) rather than discussing the topic should not have surprised me.

1. I have a life - a very fulfilling one.

2. As I stated, I have participated in several other forums that are just as, if not more, competitive and passionate than drum corps (SEC Football, anyone?).

3. Maybe I'm just overly sensitive and expect people to respect other people's opinions. I love a great discussion, and I have learned a lot from this forum, but here is a sample of what I read this afternoon in just a few minutes: (This is NOT meant to pick on any individuals - I am simply reporting what has already been posted to the universe (and I'm not correcting typos). Please do NOT take offense if I've chosen your comment - you are the one who wrote it. I'm just explaining what makes ME feel that unkind comments are to be expected here.)

- Christ,this is an exercise in the inane and arcane

- you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about

-"Hmm, what non-issue can I ##### about today?"

- Seriously...NOREALLY SERIOULY? There is all this GREAT stuff going on and your take away from 2013 drum corps is "SCV is disrespecting the F&*^ing French Flag".

- And the results are in! The wining post of the dumbest thing on DCP goes too………………..

- Give me a break..... . Get over it

- Man what a STUPID thread!.

I'm done. :smile:/>/>/>

The way I see it, the best way to handle it is to just skip over posts like these. Don't try to pick apart why they are so mean, don't try to reform the person you think is being mean. I've had a few run ins over time, and basically if I stay calm and stick to facts, the situation is easily diffused. And, if I make a mistake I'll own up to it. (like I did in my first response to you when I totally missed something you said) Social graces in a public forum can be demonstrated and encouraged by all in the way we behave.

In my opinion, the VAST majority of the commentary I read here feels positive, as well as rich with information, passion and joy. I enjoy my time on the forums. I don't think we have a huge problem here at all. I've been reading for a long time now. I have never changed my screen name so you can see from my profile that I've been around here for almost 8 years (and I still consider myself a newbie sometimes). Sure, we can get a bit puerile or pugilistic, but truly I think people here would be willing to share a beer and be friendly if they met up by accident in life somewhere, even if they had a history of being combative to each other on DCP.

In any case, I suggest that it's best to not sweat this small stuff. However, you can always use the report button if you think it's needed.

3. Maybe I'm just overly sensitive and expect people to respect other people's opinions. I love a great discussion, and I have learned a lot from this forum, but here is a sample of what I read this afternoon in just a few minutes: (This is NOT meant to pick on any individuals - I am simply reporting what has already been posted to the universe (and I'm not correcting typos). Please do NOT take offense if I've chosen your comment - you are the one who wrote it. I'm just explaining what makes ME feel that unkind comments are to be expected here.)

I love talking (and listening) to people I disagree with on various topics. No one ever gets their opinions changed but at least we get a better understanding of the other side. (Congress take note....)

As for some of the comments left by some on DCP.... Well.... some people are very closed minded... or just jerks...

I TOTALLY AGREE with the OP. In fact, I have reduced my visits to DCP as a result. I'm not a fan of some folks who attack even the most personal and well-considered opinions. And, when marching members of the activity shy away from DCP because of this, it does not bode well for the site.

I posted an observation earlier in the season but stayed off of DCP most of the season because of the rudeness of the replies. I didn't care to see any more snarky replies by egocentric tween bandos. I've come back during the final weeks of the season mainly to see the show posts while I watch the FN broadcasts.

EDIT: I'm not saying everyone here is an egocentric tween bando!

Edited by jkingqm

If you think this place gets nasty, pop on over to the DCP Facebook page. It's weird, here everything is mostly anonymous. Over there though, everyone can see your name and pictures, but people are much nastier. Boggles the mind

These forums look tame by comparison. DCP FB is, at times, worse than RAMD was. There are some angry angry people there. I think some of them have no idea that this site exists. They think that the Facebook group is the extent of it. That's a good thing, in some cases.

These forums look tame by comparison. DCP FB is, at times, worse than RAMD was. There are some angry angry people there. I think some of them have no idea that this site exists. They think that the Facebook group is the extent of it. That's a good thing, in some cases.

DCI FB is a work in progress. It's almost doubled in size over the past year, which makes catching things sometimes difficult. We're working on it. (But I was as surprised as anyone to see that attaching your real name to your posts really makes no difference in the civility of conversation as compared to over here.)

Mike

DCP FB Cat Herder

• Like 2

Burstall :peek:/>

Sharon

:ph34r:

Mike

DCP FB Cat Herder

Is this on a name plaque on your desk? Oh please please tell me it is!

:thumbup:

• Like 1