Crowds... seem bigger this year?

Wow, Brian!

That sounds like 25 (junior) shows per week. I was around then, but could only do two shows per week myself!

smile.gif

And Fred, I was actually UNDERestimating. Just for the fun of it I counted up how many contests were won by the top 70 winningest junior corps in 1972, and just those corps won over 320 contests that season.

Edited by Northern Thunder

Still would require somewhere around 8 shows happening every night of the season, including during the week. As much as I know there used to be more corps, I don't think there were that drastically many more shows than there are now.

Quick stats: DCI 2013- 103 shows

DCI 1973: 113 shows. So pretty close with 40 years of time and loss of corps

Reference:From the press box.com

1. 1973 was only the second year of DCI so it is entirely possible that the number of DCI shows increased after that season.

2. Weren't there other circuits around back then besides DCI? Were those included in your numbers?

Maybe 5X was a large estimation but I could see 2X or 3X.

1. 1973 was only the second year of DCI so it is entirely possible that the number of DCI shows increased after that season.

2. Weren't there other circuits around back then besides DCI? Were those included in your numbers?

Maybe 5X was a large estimation but I could see 2X or 3X.

I just used what I could find online, according to Northern Thunder though, there were a lot more shows. So yeah, probably 2 to 3x as many shows is entirely possible. The season did also seem to run quite a bit longer. I saw shows from May to September, instead of just June to August like now

Still would require somewhere around 8 shows happening every night of the season, including during the week. As much as I know there used to be more corps, I don't think there were that drastically many more shows than there are now.

This doesn't take into account all the local circuit shows. DCI wasn't the only game in town back then. We had a dozen or more CDCA and ODCA shows in my Canadian province alone every year.

I just used what I could find online, according to Northern Thunder though, there were a lot more shows. So yeah, probably 2 to 3x as many shows is entirely possible. The season did also seem to run quite a bit longer. I saw shows from May to September, instead of just June to August like now

I was curious, so I counted how many junior contests I have in my files for 1972. I have 338. (There were over 50 before June 15!) And I don't have a complete tally (nobody does) so that total is understated. It just shows how big drum corps was at the time.

I was curious, so I counted how many junior contests I have in my files for 1972. I have 338. (There were over 50 before June 15!) And I don't have a complete tally (nobody does) so that total is understated. It just shows how big drum corps was at the time.

Brian,

Thanks for doing the leg work that I didn't have time to do. Youngsters today have no idea how big & widespread Drum Corp was in the 60's 70's & 80's. Illinois had something like 30 Drum & Bugle Corps, same with NJ & many other states. On the 4th of July there were 25+ shows across the country. Drum Corps were full of local kids then who went to school together, etc... Unfortunately, that is gone from today's corps. Today's model isn't sustainable. This activity must get back to its local roots & recruit local kids, not music majors.

Edited by FlamMan
  • Like 2

The press box.com is not close to being a complete listing of show information. I am aware of hundreds of shows that are not listed on their site. In as much as it is a great website, I would wager the site is missing more shows than that are actually listed. One example:

Press box website has scores for three drum corps shows on July 9th, 1983. Ypsilanti DCI North show, Cody Wy DC/NW show and Sacramento, a PDCA show.

But on that date there were 14 drum corps shows in North America. The three mentioned above and shows in

Gloversville NY

Hanover PA

Pittsburgh PA

Fort Erie Ont

East Haven CT

Central Islip NY

Schaumburg IL

Lindsay Ont

Olympia WA

St-George de Beauce Que

Laval Que

and one in East London England a DCUK show

DCI corps competed in all of these regional circuits as well as DCI sponsored shows and DCI only sponsored 4-5 regional shows, championship week and a few other biggies the entire season, DATR is one that comes to mind.

The Toledo Key to the Sea show had so many corps, they had two shows of Prelims and two shows of Finals over two days involving 45 corps. And looking at that list , I only see three of that year's top twelve in the show as most likely everybody else was preparing for the US Open, another gigantic show.

Edited by bstar82