Dino musings on Buffalo

Perfect drum corps weather - great venue. I watched SCV's drumline warmup for just a little while, but when I saw Cadets starting to suit up I headed into the stadium as this will be the only show I get to this year and didn't want to miss anyone.

BUT - the lineup at the only open gate was nuts. By the time I got in to the gate that lead to my section, Cadets were on and they weren't letting anyone into the stands. The tunnel to the gate was packed solid, so it wasn't just me being stupid, it seems like a lot of folks didn't get in on time, which made me feel badly for Cadets, as half of the audience had to be missing. From what I heard they sounded good but really - I can't comment.

So - Cadets leave the field, and the attendant says - yes, right section but you really need to go to the next tunnel as you'll never reach your seat from here. I dashed to the next tunnel to be met by another wall of folks trying to get in - and they stopped us from going in because now Phantom was on the field. By this time a lot of folks were big time ######. Lot's of yelling and booing - I wonder if the kids on the field heard that and wondered what was up? It wasn't you, trust me...

So I missed Cadets and Regiment - not a great start to my only show of 2013. When I finally got to my seat we were in a great position, two off the 50 not quite half way up the lower deck. A little too low to read a lot of the drill but great for the music, which is what it's all about for me.

Vanguard - loved it. Imagine a melody that lasts longer than 8 bars! This show is beautifully crafted - drumline better be Sanford trophy bound. You don't need a philosophy degree or an extended stay at an ashram to figure this show out - you just sit and enjoy drum corps the way it should be. Crowd on it's feet at the end of the show!

Crown - loved them in 2011, not so enamoured of them tonight. This show feels like last year's BD - babble, babble, babble. Great hornline and they had some moments, but - shut up and play for God's sake. Unis are hideous. My least favourite corps of the night by far.

Madison Scouts - weren't there - bummer...

Bloo - The unis look a lot better live than I thought they would, but the guard - not sure why they're in street clothes? Looked like they got to the stadium too late to change and it gives a messy, cluttered look to the corps. Solid all around corps and they managed to get some laughs with some of the effects with the props. Good job.

Devils - I know - controversial. I don't like what they're doing (judging by the golf claps and complete lack of appreciation for the soloists, neither did anyone else) but they do it well. They're playing avante-garde, fusion jazz - so yeah - the crowd reaction is predictable, but all captions are rock solid. The stick forest is stupid - distracting, clutters the field unnecessarily and adds nothing, including relevance. Body work is bizarre, which is intended from the beginning. WAY too much miccing of soloists and it seems ZERO crowd appeal/involvement. I still enjoyed them more than I did Crown.

Sorry Cavaliers - didn't see you. Really had to hit the washroom.

Nice touch - Cavies guard members greeting people as they left the stadium and thanking us for coming to the show. Class act kids doing a nice piece of PR work for the activity.

Not so nice touch - cheesy intermission schtick. Didn't know how long it was going to last (too long, as it turned out) and after the seating debacle earlier, I was afraid to leave my seat...

SO - I came away with mixed feelings. While I loved Vanguard et al and am pretty sure I would have enjoyed Cadets and Phantom had I seen them, the fact that the judges seem to be rewarding a design direction that I can't get behind leaves me with concerns. We're planning on going next year, but where I was a solid fan once upon a time, not so sure I'm sold these days.

EDIT - all comments are IMHO and do not reflect anyone or anything but myself...

Edited by Grandpa
  • Like 1

This post expressed my exact feelings better than I have expressed them. 100% right on the money. This is the new post of the year. Nice job.

Perfect drum corps weather - great venue. I watched SCV's drumline warmup for just a little while, but when I saw Cadets starting to suit up I headed into the stadium as this will be the only show I get to this year and didn't want to miss anyone.

BUT - the lineup at the only open gate was nuts. By the time I got in to the gate that lead to my section, Cadets were on and they weren't letting anyone into the stands. The tunnel to the gate was packed solid, so it wasn't just me being stupid, it seems like a lot of folks didn't get in on time, which made me feel badly for Cadets, as half of the audience had to be missing. From what I heard they sounded good but really - I can't comment.

So - Cadets leave the field, and the attendant says - yes, right section but you really need to go to the next tunnel as you'll never reach your seat from here. I dashed to the next tunnel to be met by another wall of folks trying to get in - and they stopped us from going in because now Phantom was on the field. By this time a lot of folks were big time ######. Lot's of yelling ad booing - I wonder if the kids on the field heard that and wondered what was up? It wasn't you, trust me...

So I missed Cadets and Regiment - not a great start to my only show of 2013. When I finally got to my seat we were in a great position, two off the 50 not quite half way up the lower deck. A little too low to read a lot of the drill but great for the music, which is what it's all about for me.

Vanguard - loved it. Imagine a melody that lasts longer than 8 bars! This show is beautifully crafted - drumline better be Sanford trophy bound. You don't need a philosophy degree or an extended stay at an ashram to figure this show out - you just sit and enjoy drum corps the way it should be. Crowd on it's feet at the end of the show!

Crown - loved them in 2011, not so enamoured of them tonight. This show feels like last year's BD - babble, babble, babble. Great hornline and they had some moments, but - shut up and play for God's sake. Unis are hideous. My least favourite corps of the night by far.

Madison Scouts - weren't there - bummer...

Bloo - The unis look a lot better live than I thought they would, but the guard - not sure why they're in street clothes? Looked like they got to the stadium too late to change and it gives a messy, cluttered look to the corps. Solid all around corps and they managed to get some laughs with some of the effects with the props. Good job.

Devils - I know - controversial. I don't like what they're doing (judging by the golf claps and complete lack of appreciation for the soloists, neither did anyone else) but they do it well. They're playing avante-garde, fusion jazz - so yeah - the crowd reaction is predictable, but all captions are rock solid. The stick forest is stupid - distracting, clutters the field unnecessarily and adds nothing, including relevance. Body work is bizarre, which is intended from the beginning. WAY too much miccing of soloists and it seems ZERO crowd appeal/involvement. I still enjoyed them more than I did Crown.

Sorry Cavaliers - didn't see you. Really had to hit the washroom.

Nice touch - Cavies guard members greeting people as they left the stadium and thanking us for coming to the show. Class act kids doing a nice piece of PR work for the activity.

Not so nice touch - cheesy intermission schtick. Didn't know how long it was going to last (too long, as it turned out) and after the seating debacle earlier, I was afraid to leave my seat...

SO - I came away with mixed feelings. While I loved Vanguard et al and am pretty sure I would have enjoyed Cadets and Phantom had I seen them, the fact that the judges seem to be rewarding a design direction that I can't get behind leaves me with concerns. We're planning on going next year, but where I was a solid fan once upon a time, not so sure I'm sold these days.

EDIT - all comments are IMHO and do not reflect anyone or anything but myself...

• Like 1

So - Cadets leave the field, and the attendant says - yes, right section but you really need to go to the next tunnel as you'll never reach your seat from here. I dashed to the next tunnel to be met by another wall of folks trying to get in - and they stopped us from going in because now Phantom was on the field. By this time a lot of folks were big time ######. Lot's of yelling and booing - I wonder if the kids on the field heard that and wondered what was up? It wasn't you, trust me...

Same happened to me. The idea of having one gate with only two lines going through was beyond ridiculous - AND metal detectors? Don't know who would cause mayhem in Buffalo (or why) and at a drum corps show, definitely overkill.

Someone needs to answer for this because a lot of people traveled a great distance to go to this show (I drove 4 hours), made it in plenty of time, only to be held up by lines that wrapped around the stadium and moved slower than a snail on qualudes. I feel cheated missing Cadets, and almost missed Phantom.

Yes to the Cavies at the gate, good PR. Intermission, how about between every corps with the blockbusting movie soundtrack type music. Conversation at shout level. And the chatter from Dan Potter was unintelligible.

The corps were great, all of them, well, except Cadets - did I mention I didn't get to see them. Everyone did much better shows than the prevailing opinions I've read all summer.

Regards,

John

• Like 1