so - are Cadets and SCV REALLY in it?

BD perform and they are awesome. Significantly better than Cadets. Do you write 19.9 (giving them less spread than they earned) or 20.0 (betting that Crown will not surpass what you just heard)? I'd bet a lot of drum judges would go for the 20.0.

This is a good counterexample to my argument above. I agree that the Percussion judge could be pretty certain in assigning the 20.0 to the second-to-last corps if Crown is following. And a situation like that where the final corps is significantly lagging behind in a particular caption (or the currently performing corps is significantly outscoring all other corps), then maybe, but in the end, I still think it's irresponsible to have gotten that tight to begin with.

All top 4 are execellent in their own right. I think SCV has by far the least demand but their may have the highest emotional component.

Crown is exceptional and it will depend on percussion and guard. (I think they need to win guard as a buffer against their percussion gap).

BD is performing very well but can be overtaken in GE by Crown and even Cadets.

Cadets have the demand and content scores and will depend on their performance levels. Last night they performed extremely well and the score popped. We'll see...

And with the competition so close, the judging panels are paramount. (Tochia, Oliverio big BD hacks).

Is it too far to say that if Torchia and Oliviero are judging finals night, give BD a 20 or close to it, and BD wins (even narrowly) that it invalidates the outcome?

(edit: hopefully less incendiary sounding)

Edited by Zorro

Is it too far to say that if Torchia and Oliviero are judging finals night, give BD a 20 or close to it, and BD wins (even narrowly) that it invalidates the outcome? If so, what reaction would be appropriate on the part of the fanbase?

The fanbase will do whatever the fanbase wants to do. Of course, the fanbase can probably be divided into 3 camps:

1) Crownaholics will moan and groan for another year, state how they have been robbed, grow more even more vehemently angry.

2) BD Honks will simply smile and gloat for another year, and smugly look down on everyone else.

3) Neutral third parties (like me) will simply become more cynical and disillusioned.

See you on Sunday morning.

This is why the lower half of the corps at any given Finals Week show will score lower than they scored the last time they performed, and it's why no more than 7-8 corps can possibly get 90 on Finals night.

Exceptions, while unlikely, are not impossible: nine corps scored 90 or better in 1992 and 2004.

I already have my snide, cynical, sarcastic remarks lined up for Saturday night, for when BD wins. I have them cocked, locked, and ready to rock. Here is a sampling (I will have more ready by Saturday):

"I really hate being right all the time."

"Ho hum, tell me a real news story."

"The sun rises in the east, sets in the west, and BD puts another trophy in the case."

"That is the sound of inevitability. That is the sound of your death. Goodbye, Carolina Crown." (That is the reference to The Matrix.)

"Whoever uses the most props in their show always wins."

And if BD loses, i will be the most shocked person since Julius and Ethel Rosenberg.

I'm a huge BD fan (I'm auditioning there this fall) but we seriously might not know until 2nd place is announced on Saturday night. I really love how this season is turning out because it seems like every corps is pushing all the way until the very end. Who knows, SCV might come from behind and take a medal or Cadets could take Crown and BD! No matter what way it goes, I will be happy with how this season has turned out.

I'm a huge BD fan (I'm auditioning there this fall) but we seriously might not know until 2nd place is announced on Saturday night. I really love how this season is turning out because it seems like every corps is pushing all the way until the very end. Who knows, SCV might come from behind and take a medal or Cadets could take Crown and BD! No matter what way it goes, I will be happy with how this season has turned out.

VERY well said. Pulling for Cadets and personally *think* BD will win but it is an amazing season however it turns out!

I already have my snide, cynical, sarcastic remarks lined up for Saturday night, for when BD wins. I have them cocked, locked, and ready to rock. Here is a sampling (I will have more ready by Saturday):

[...]

"That is the sound of inevitability. That is the sound of your death. Goodbye, Carolina Crown." (That is the reference to The Matrix.)

Well, we know how that turns out! So Crown is going to let BD get hit by a train, and then insert themselves into BD and destroy them from the inside out.

(Although to extend the analogy further, BD would later remake other corps into clones of itself.)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Why, Crown? Why, why, why? Why do you do it? Why get up? Why keep fighting? Do you believe you're fighting for something? Can you tell me what it is? Do you even know? Is it freedom? Or truth? Perhaps peace? Could it be for love? Illusions, Crown. Vagaries of perception. The temporary constructs of a feeble human intellect trying desperately to justify an existence that is without meaning or purpose. And all of them as artificial as DCI itself. Although, only a human mind could invent something as insipid as love. You must be able to see it, Crown. You must know it by now. You can't win. It's pointless to keep fighting. Why, Crown, why? Why do you persist?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

• Like 1

Exceptions, while unlikely, are not impossible: nine corps scored 90 or better in 1992 and 2004.

True, and I realized I was overstating things when I typed that up, but then forgot to go back and clarify. I'm guessing that if we looked at the captions in those years, we'd find a lot of inconsistency in rank among the corps. In fact, the real data to be looking at is the individual caption scores. How many years did more than 8 corps get above an 18 in any particular caption? I dunno if details to that level are available online anywhere.

Seriously, there should be a database somewhere of historical scores including judges down to subcaption scores. Does that exist? Is the data even available anywhere?

(I know DCP has some of the data going back to 2003, but as far as I can tell, not available in raw form.)

Edited by skywhopper