Has there ever been a show designed around comedy?

One thing about Bayonne back then that some overlook (not accusing anyone) is that they were ROCK SOLID in execution. They would have been killed by the judges if they weren't - it was too different than anyone else on the field.

That really is the trick, isn't it: you have to execute well, or else the "comedy" is negative (or sarcastically it's poor execution). Some of the later VK shows could've been so much better of they focused more on execution and less on trying to come up with goofy laughs (though to be honest, my favorite "VK-pokes-fun-at-SCV/Bottle Dance" bit was the space show, when the corps does the set up, the guard gets to their knees in Darth Vader masks, and then the corps goes into "Imperial March" instead of "Bottle Dance", with the drums/cymbals doing the "Bottle Dance" parts)

• Like 2

From reading the Bands of America live blog (a team effort) for this year's Grand Nationals finals, I learned that in Mason's show, with a wedding theme, the female guard in bridal garb were married to grooms who were life-size inflatable dolls. The marriage turns sour, and the wives abuse and possibly kill their husbands. The bloggers' responses:

--"Dark, but funny at the same time."

--"And the brides drag their betrothed off the field by their feet. It's grim, it's sick, it's mocking a sacred institution, and it's so VERY, VERY funny and masterfully done."

--"Never laughed so much at a BOA Finals event."

--"William Mason Band...clever, hysterical and entertaining! Thank you!!!"

Comment no. 2 is Michael Boo; comment no. 4 is Robert W. Smith.

In 2001, Blue Knights played Paul Hart's "Cartoon" for the entire show. When I was writing the DCI program book, I was told the designers programmed moments in the show for the audience to laugh. Later, though, they forgot to tell the audience.

Saw that show at DCI East in Philly that year. It had elements of "An American in Paris" in it... but you're right, zero humor.

If that show was that staff's idea of fun/humor... I don't ever want to hang around with anyone from that staff. :tongue:

My last two years in a local-circuit junior corps, we were so bad that we were unintentionally funny. LOL

• Like 1

I saw a great indoor percusion show last year based on "how to be succesful at indoor percussion without trying". some great humor in that, especially at how we take ourselves so seriously

EXACTLY!!!!although comedy seems easy to some they took what they did very seriously. To do what they did and make it entertaining takes alot of work , sometimes more than a traditional approach. That's the difference with those who have tried to take this avenue, if you aren't extremely good at this type of style in ALL areas it can come off cheezy and not taken seriously. This they were masters at it for sure!!!!

I believe you may have hit on a bigger point - for ANY entertainment format (tv sitcom, movie, standup, etc) endeavoring to have a successful comedic performance, the performers have to take it seriously. An awful lot of work has to be done for it to come together effectively. The really successful comics make it look easy, but it isn't easy.

One thing about Bayonne back then that some overlook (not accusing anyone) is that they were ROCK SOLID in execution. They would have been killed by the judges if they weren't - it was too different than anyone else on the field.

I agree.

They also spent a good deal of time to make the comedy bits look effortless.

The great Bobby Hoffman once told me, "Those 'spontaneous' moments in our show? We put in a lot of work to make them look spontaneous."

• Like 1

In 2001, Blue Knights played Paul Hart's "Cartoon" for the entire show. When I was writing the DCI program book, I was told the designers programmed moments in the show for the audience to laugh. Later, though, they forgot to tell the audience.

Humor either happens or it doesn't, but it needs to happen on its own. VK understood that for a show to be funny, the audience has to be let in on the joke. However, being "let in" doesn't mean to be force fed the joke and instructed, "Now you will laugh."

Yeah, Mike, you were around us enough to "get" what was up on the inside. That said, when the show was being taught and crafted ('cuz, ya gotta know, SO much time went into the content) we thought "communication" as being the primary goal...bottom line: if there's any chance at all that the crowd won't get the joke, make a sign! ;)

One corps I haven't seen mentioned is Impulse from southern California. I haven't seen them in a few years, but they were founded by some VK alums and carried on some of the comedic traditions of the older corps mentioned.