Random Thoughts From DCI Buffalo

I don't need to know the music before it is performed. When I got into drum corps in the late 80s, it wasn't unusual for it to be the first time I had heard many of the pieces. I could still really enjoy it. It actually turned me onto a lot of other music as I sought out the original works. I think the blame for the obscurity and inaccessibility of the music is on the shoulders of the program designers and arrangers. Nobody knew Robert Smith's originals before Suncoast Sound took them onto the field in the 80s, but we could still enjoy the hell out of it.

My rule: it doesn’t have to be music I’ve listened to by itself before seeing the show, but it has to be music I would listen to by itself after seeing the show.

I haven’t liked a single a show that doesn’t follow this rule.

I don't think you could be more wrong about the drum lines. If you close your eyes and had no idea of who was playing the style and approach to playing is unbelievably distinct. SCV, Cadets, BD are top 3 right now and each sound very different and very stylistic of their corps style. And they are playing more rudiment and hybrid rudiment combinations than you can imagine.

I'm sure if I was around the lines more often I would notice the differences between them a lot better but I still think it's a lot closer than you think...it was just a general observation on my part that is also shared by many other people...I also know that lines play a lot of complicated stuff -- I saw the Cadets in the lot first hand but would it kill people to throw in the odd Pataflafla or Ratamacue...lol

The really good news is that there are a lot of very talented drummers out there which is great!

Cheers,

Edited by oaklandcrusader

I attended my first DCI Drum Corps show in 3 or 4 years on Monday August 5, 2013 in Buffalo...But before I begin with my thoughts and impressions of the show, let me first preface what I'm about to say by letting you know that I'm not someone who is stuck in the past or someone who doesn't believe in change or progress...Also, as a former member of the Oakland Crusaders Drum Line back in the mid to late 70's, I can certainly appreciate all the hard work, dedication and commitment that it takes from everyone involved to put on a show...

With that said, let me begin by saying I watched 7 of the top DCI Drum Corps perform which included the Cadets, Phantom Regiment, Santa Clara Vanguard, Carolina Crown, Bluecoats, Blue Devils and the Calvaliers...With that great lineup, I can't believe what I'm about to say -- I was bored stiff! ...I have performed in and watched hundreds and hundreds of shows over the years and I have never been so disappointed in the performances that I saw and heard as I was on Monday night... I wanted so badly for any corps to do something that would pull me out of my seat and make me stand up and cheer like I have so many times before -- whether it be an outstanding horn solo, an unbelievable drum break or a horn line playing a number so powerful that they almost blow the stands down...Sadly, for me that moment never came...Santa Clara came the closest but for more subtle reasons that are so classic of Vanguard -- their execution, precision and how amazingly clean they were...

So, without further delay here are some of my random thoughts, likes and dislikes :

*( did not get to see the Cadets show -- they just took the field and ushers would not let us thru the tunnel until they were finished )

Random Thoughts ( Overall Impressions )

-- Is it me or do most of the corps seem to lack their own personality and identity? ( Santa Clara one of the few exceptions -- have adapted to new age of drum corps but still true to their roots )

-- Maybe I should have bought a program which might have helped explain what each corps was trying to do but I didn't get or understand most of the shows -- that can't be good

-- Why are some corps allowed to play a street beat or cadence off the field and others not?

-- My absolute favorite part of going to a drum corps show is definitely watching the drum lines warm up in the lot before the show -- brings back memories of when everyone always crowded around us to watch us play

( wish YouTube was invented back then...lol )

-- $39 to see a drum corps show -- really? ... and why does the announcer introduce the corps 45 seconds into their show?

-- I don't know why but I've always liked corps that start their show from the end zone rather than the middle of the field -- different I guess?

-- Do we really need 20 people in the pit? -- I can't remember which corps it was but one corps pit was so loud I could barely the horns and the drums the whole show

-- I hate to say this but who ever came up with Phantom's show should be fired -- not only was it boring and not entertaining but more importantly, the kids didn't look like they were having any fun out there

-- The talent level of today's drummers, horn players and color guard is exceptional -- too bad the shows aren't

-- Other than Madison and the Calvaliers, it still seems weird to me seeing guys in the color guard -- not that there's anything wrong with that

-- Not 100% sure but I think Santa Clara had the only cymbol line out there -- those guys are literally in a class by themselves not to mention the fact that they're amazing too!

-- It used to be that the General Effects were there to visually enhance and compliment the music -- now it seems like it's the other way around -- something is way out of whack here

-- The whole time I'm watching the shows I'm thinking in the back of my mind -- this looks like some sort of a drum corps video game or a track meet out there

-- Keeping their the long and great tradition of excellence in mind -- tell me the Blue Devils didn't just jump the shark this year? -- marching around 100 pylons out there -- really?

-- I'd like to meet all the idiots who put the together the concepts for some of these shows and ask them one question -- what were you thinking?

-- I have to give credit to all the performers out there -- how you can play and do all that running around out there is truly remarkable

-- Maybe it`s because I`m getting older but all the performers looked like they 14 or 15 yrs old

-- Is it really necessary to have a half hour break after the first 3 corps performed -- do you smell stadium and DCI money grab?

-- I wonder if the food they feed them is better than it was back when I marched? -- dumb question... guess it doesn`t take too much to improve on prison like quality food...lol

Likes & Dislikes

Drum Lines

-- Was very impressed with the amount of talent in all the lines

-- Lots of great chops

-- Bass drum licks that all the lines play -- technology (sticks, heads and teaching tools) have helped bring that section up way beyond the next level

-- How clean Santa Clara`s entire line was

-- Bluecoats drum line especially their quads -- their line reminds me a lot of our Oakland Crusaders line when we were just starting to come into our own -- watch out for them!

-- Some of the stuff the Cadets were playing -- crazy!

Dislikes :

-- Nobody seems to play all 26 rudiments anymore -- sounds like a lot of taps and diddles to me

-- Nobody seems to have their own distinct sound or style -- I`ll argue that you could switch Devils line with the Cadets or Cadets line with the Crown etc and you wouldn`t notice much of a difference

-- Maybe I caught them on a off day but Blue Devils were slurring way too much

-- Wish the Bass drums today had a deeper sound

-- Did I mention the fact that I don`t like the sound of today`s drums -- Santa Clara was the best followed by Bluecoats

Horns

-- Carolina Crown`s up and down rundown while they`re in that soft curve formation

-- All the horn lines playing technically difficult music while running around like Usain Bolt

-- How clean Santa Clara was

Dislikes :

-- Other than Santa Clara ( Les Miserables ) I didn`t recognize 90% of the music played by everyone else -- not necessarily bad but definitely odd

-- No real solos like we`re used to hearing -- how could all those corps have not one great solo?

-- No power -- I think it`s because 1) the types of horns they use today and the way they`re constructed...2) they have no wind left after doing all that running around out there

Color Guard

-- The Rifles -- they`re back! ...was impressed with a lot the work and tosses from 3 or 4 of the corps

-- It`s not a new concept but I like the idea that the Rifle lines were also used on flags to make things much more visually enhanced

-- The Calvaliers used one particular flag at one point in their show that was visually eye catching and stunning

-- Was really impressed with the quickness and athleticism of everyone on the field -- to be young again...lol

Dislikes :

-- there is so much movement going on that it becomes distracting and confusing and you can`t take it all in or appreciate everything that`s going on

-- Do we really need all these dumb props the some of the corps are using just to make some sort of statement that -- hey, we`re ahead of the curve!

Finally, to all you Show Coordinators out there -- remember, that sometimes less is more and that when you`re putting your show together that your 2 main goal should be :

1) Make sure that the marching members have fun and enjoy performing the show -- otherwise what`s the point

2) To entertain the audience -- not to try and impress the coordinators of the other corps with how smart you are and what a great visionary you are...I shouldn`t have to ask myself after watching your show -- what the hell was that??

Anyways, that`s my story and I`m sticking to it ( discuss amongst yourselves...lol )

Duz Ga Duz

And yes, I'll get off your line before you break a hip chasing me out...

You should probably look up a lot of the music. Bluecoats continued their Paul Simon love affair, Cadets did a show comprised entirely of Barber works that had already seen the field in previous years, Crown somehow combined Philip Glass and Richard Strauss, you'll recognize Blue Devils' Rite of Spring music from Fantasia, Cavaliers played the theme from the recent Star Trek movies, plus some music from the daVinci Code and Angels and Demons (which I honestly didn't recognized but I didn't see those movies). I didn't recognize Phantom's Shostakovich music but then again I haven't heard much of his music. None of it is really out there, though some of it is new to drum corps.

I didn't mean my comment to be taken as a criticism...I was just making an observation that I'm usually a lot more familiar with the music that that the corps are playing...I agree with you that hearing certain music over the years thru drum corps has opened up my tastes to a lot of different types of music that I enjoy still to this day( jazz, blues, opera, classical, etc )

Cheers,

Oakland, you had the courage to post what many, many people would love to say but don't. Us drum corps nuts are and have been divided for a long time. We had a show near where I live last Sunday none of whom were G7. $40 per ticket and not one top seven corps. I have been involved in drum corps either marching or as a fan for over five decades and I feel the same as you do for the most part. It's only going to get worse but I still will be a fan but with much less intensity. Don't let the younger crowd get to you as they only know drum corps as it is today....glorified marching bands. Their attitude is " if you don't like it then go away". That is precisely what many people have done....gone away and put our hard earned money elsewhere.

Good thing you didn't see Cadets in a way as they put something like16 (?) " towers" on the field (junk all over the place with most corps nowadays) not to mention transporting all that stuff and George Hopkins has the nerve to want more money. Things are messed up but it's not going to change. Thank you for telling it like it is.

• Like 2

[/b]

Thanks for your comments --some them were very insightful...I'd like to respond to a few of them

-- Why are some corps allowed to play a street beat or cadence off the field and others not?

I think that may be part of the Tournament of Champions format. Corps can do that if they choose. Not sure, exactly, but that would be my guess.

The reason I mentioned this is because even back when I marched they would tell before we went on that you couldn't play a Cadence off the field only a single bass beat then half the other corps would end up playing a Cadence off the field...I think the reason was to not interfere with the next corps warm up...I saw the same situation in Buffalo which gave me a flashback...lol

-- My absolute favorite part of going to a drum corps show is definitely watching the drum lines warm up in the lot before the show -- brings back memories of when everyone always crowded around us to watch us play

( wish YouTube was invented back then...lol )

Tell me about it! Could you imagine lot videos of the old Bridgemen lines? The lot has been and always will be one of the great things about going to a drum corps show.

I would gladly pay to see the lines play in the lot...better not say that out too loud or DCI will get some ideas...lol

-- Do we really need 20 people in the pit? -- I can't remember which corps it was but one corps pit was so loud I could barely the horns and the drums the whole show

That may be an amplification problem, it can be annoying and it is a common complaint. As for the numbers in the pit, I don't have a problem with it. Those are some of the best musicians on the field and so often in the past, aside from some quieter moments in the show, I could never really appreciate their true contribution to the musical presentation. I appreciate actually getting to hear the different sounds and textures they add to the performance. I would agree, however, that they are often amped too loud.

You make a good point about the pit players getting their due but I just think it's a little overkill sometimes

-- I hate to say this but who ever came up with Phantom's show should be fired -- not only was it boring and not entertaining but more importantly, the kids didn't look like they were having any fun out there

Not sure how "them having fun" manifests itself in your eyes. Even in their most "Phantom" of years when they were firing on all cylinders, I never really got the impression that they were having "fun," but then again, they (like SCV in some ways) are a very intense corps and "them having fun performing their show" can manifest itself in different ways. Are we expecting them to smile or something? It may be that you just didn't like the show and you projected that dislike onto the performers? Just a thought.

What I meant by having fun was that they didn't look like they were enjoying performing the type of show they have...it was merely an observation and gut feel on my part and you're right they are of a more serious type of corps but maybe it's time for them to move in a different direction...how many DCI titles have they won over the years doing it their way? ...they obviously have a lot of talent but you what they say about the definition of insanity -- it's when you keep doing the same thing over and over again and expect a different result...lol

-- It used to be that the General Effects were there to visually enhance and compliment the music -- now it seems like it's the other way around -- something is way out of whack here

Not sure I understand what you're saying (in relation to how you said it). Is it that you think the visual is getting rewarded too much? If so, a lot of people agree with you. I'm more of a visual guy and I think the balance is right.

What I simply meant was that the M&M used to be built around the music but now it seems the music is built around the M&M

-- Keeping their the long and great tradition of excellence in mind -- tell me the Blue Devils didn't just jump the shark this year? -- marching around 100 pylons out there -- really?

Meh. It's not like they're the first one to use props, or even props like that before where the performers march around them. The 1995 Cadets had a similar thing going on with "trees" all over the field (their props didn't move). In addition to a park bench and several wooden crates for the guard to dance on. And oh yeah, a whole bunch of drum sets on the field. Talk about prop overload! (But I digress, it was the 2012 Blue Devils who totally influenced the direction of prop use in drum corps this year….sorry, that was an argument for a different person in a different thread.)

Never thought BD would need gimmicks to help put them over the top...like you basically said, props as an accessory are alright but when they become the main attraction of the show that's overkill

-- I'd like to meet all the idiots who put the together the concepts for some of these shows and ask them one question -- what were you thinking?

Just because you don't like the shows, doesn't make them idiots. They're actually very deeply invested in the drum corps activity and have been for many many years. They've devoted their lives to it, in fact. They are FANS of drum corps just like you, they love drum corps just like you, and they work very hard and are extremely good at what they do. That you don't care for the product is your right, but lets leave the name calling out of it. My guess is that if you actually sat down and spoke to some of those people, you might just get a better idea of where they're coming from, even if you still don't agree with it

Maybe I was a little harsh but that's the way I feel...like I said, I would love to be able to sit down with some of these people to find out what they were thinking and where they were coming from...to me they're like those fashion designers who's outrageous clothes you see on models on those runways...lol

Cheers,

"Nobody seems to have their own distinct sound or style -- I`ll argue that you could switch Devils line with the Cadets or Cadets line with the Crown etc and you wouldn`t notice much of a difference"

Um...no. You must not be a drummer.

Thanks for your reply...It's just an general observation on my part...and for the record, I was a drummer on one of the top Drum Lines in DCI history for a few years that was instructed by Tom Float-- so I know a tiny, little bit about what I'm talking about...Have you ever marched on a DCI Championship calibre drum line?

Cheers,

Hi oakland crusader. I'd like to reply to a couple things you said.

"What I meant by having fun was that they didn't look like they were enjoying performing the type of show they have...it was merely an observation and gut feel on my part and you're right they are of a more serious type of corps but maybe it's time for them to move in a different direction...how many DCI titles have they won over the years doing it their way? ...they obviously have a lot of talent but you what they say about the definition of insanity -- it's when you keep doing the same thing over and over again and expect a different result...lol"

Is that not a bit vague? You complain that they don't "look" like they're having fun but you yourself resort to saying that it's a "gut feeling" when asked what your definition of them having fun is. Whether they're having fun or not is very much in the minds of the talented men and women in the corps. Much of your feeling probably comes from your dislike of the show. Their show is admittedly not a high energy one which may make the corps members seem like they are not having fun. And why do you assume that all phantom regiment wants is a DCI title? Yes it is a competition but (correct me if I'm wrong), most of the people who sign up for drum corps do it for the tremendous learning and growing experience. Not for a ring. I find Phantom's classic shows very enjoyable regardless of how many titles they possess.

"Never thought BD would need gimmicks to help put them over the top...like you basically said, props as an accessory are alright but when they become the main attraction of the show that's overkill"

Maybe this is an overreaction (much like how your whole original post is an overreaction) but does this statement not come off as rude? You assume that these props or as you call them, "gimmicks," are the reason why BD is at the top. There are very talented individuals in that corps and I do not think you are being very fair making this statement.

"Maybe I was a little harsh but that's the way I feel...like I said, I would love to be able to sit down with some of these people to find out what they were thinking and where they were coming from...to me they're like those fashion designers who's outrageous clothes you see on models on those runways...lol"

Judging from this comment alone I can tell you are one of the oldies who prefer things how they have been back in the day. That's not meant to be a criticism or insult, just an observation. Another observation I have made is that generally (not always. I don't like to generalize a whole population) older people (and just humans in general, I guess) do not like change. They prefer how things have always been. My only suggestion is that you try to keep an open mind. You will enjoy things (not just drum corps) a lot more if you do smile.gif

• Like 1