Chat Room for Prelims and Semis!

They just changed their percussion program two years ago. So far it's not working out as well competitively as the Lee Beddis era, but it does take time for a new staff to come in and establish a quality program. As painful as it is to have one section below the level of the rest, they should focus on building a program that long-term can play with the big names.

I agree. I'm not advocating changing the staff. Anybody that knows Hannum is aware he can write some beautiful stuff. First, choose a vehicle that gives percussion the opportunity to shine as much as the brass. That is, stop treating your percussion section as an accompaniment to the brass. If you can teach your brass to lay a smackdown like they're doing this year it can be done with percussion as well. They need more rudimental variety. They need to work on attacks and releases in the battery. It just needs to be more BALLSY!

Just got back home from the show (I was there live).

A few words on Crown...... Myself and all the people I was with thought Crown was clearly the best, and that it wasn't close. They have been my favorite corps all year, so I thought I would like them best... but the level of performance was completely on a higher level from Cadets (who went right before them).

I admit that Blue Devils are significantly stronger in percussion, and maybe guard than Crown, but everything else clearly goes Crown's way for me.... especially GE. I mean, they basically got 4 standing ovations throughout the show by a good majority of the crowd (at least in the lower section where I was). I have not seen that in years... not even with PR 2008. I assumed SCV would be the crowd favorite... but nope, that wasn't close either. People were still applauding long after Crown was beginning to leave the field.

I don't mean to gush on only one show (I enjoyed many others to), but Crown tonight was by far the best drum corps performance I have ever experienced.

Still had the correct answer to the man's assertion that a corps with a 7th place drumline doesn't deserve a title. Cadets '84 was 7th in drums, and just squeaked by with the title.

Cadets finished 7th in percussion but won GE percussion that year. Weird.

8/9/2013 - Semi Finals

GE Visual 1: K.Miller

GE Visual 2: F.Morris

GE Music 1: N.Jones

GE Music 2: K.Turner

Visual Proficiency: J. Orefice

Visual Analysis: T.Ochran

Color Guard: D. Torchia

Brass: M. McGahey

Music Analysis: J.Kennedy

Percussion: G.Fugett

8/10/2013 - Finals

GE Visual: Richard Kemp, Marie Czapinski

GE Music: John Bell, Wayne Dillon

Visual Proficiency: Michael Turner

Visual Analysis: Michael Lentz

Color Guard: Lee Carlson

Brass: Albert Lo

Music Analysis: David McGrath

Percussion: Jeff Prosperie

on dci.org...Judging Panels

judges have had these caption assignments in fairly recent shows. looking over some of the 2013 recaps, Lee Carlson has not judged Color Guard, but may have judged other Visual captions. David McGrath judged Music Analysis way back in Stanford.

Just in case you wanted that information.

After an awesome 6th place performance by BK's guard and a boneheaded decision by BAC's staff, Blue Knights moved ahead of Boston. I don't think we've seen the last of the improvements both Corps have in store for the next two performances. Where these two class acts end up...we'll have to wait for finals to see.

I loved both of their shows.

988279_10151620776073026_427774164_n.jpg

ps...can any of the experienced judges tell me if wardrobe malfunctions play into the scoring? Before Boston's clothing change, many of the brass line members had red showing on their arms. It appeared to me that their tops were kind of coming undone.

Edited by Granite

Crown has proven they can win, even with a 1.0 deficit in Percussion. Yes, it does make things harder on all the other captions, but it's also clear that despite the outcry here, their Music Analysis and Music GE are near unstoppable. The last Music GE judge who didn't put Crown up top was Joe Allison and he turned around and gave them a 98/100 last night.

If Crown can pull off wins in Guard (decent chance) and Visual Performance (slight possibility) on finals night, and manage some 19.9s in MA, Brass, and Music GE (not sure if any judge will give them a 20 if they are second-to-last to perform on Finals night), they have a very good chance of winning, particularly if BD sticks to #3 in Music GE.

In any case, this is definitely Crown's best run. I'm thrilled to see them very likely pulling a medal two years in a row.

Crown's percussion score... ouch. Madison's line beat them. 7th overall isn't going to cut it.

Why is this "ouch"? Madison has a better percussion section than Crown this year. By the way- I can promise you tonight and tomorrow will see different results as judges try to "fit" things together

CM