Scores?

so THAT's what happened... wow. Blue Knights passed them. Would they be penalized if they used dry ice?

As long as they don't leave any debris or residue on the field. I don't think dry ice fits what they're going for that well, but if you need to avoid the penalty and still want to use the effect, may as well take the hit in authenticity. That or bring a vacuum cleaner :devil:/>

Wow, Legends opened up a big spread on Raiders: 3.400 points today vs. 0.750 points on Tuesday!

[...]

Is it possible that Legends' score was actually 65.300 or 66.300?

Checking the recaps, I see that while Legends' overall placement was 29th, they were 23rd in music G.E. and 26th in brass, so I listened to today's performance: the scores were well deserved! Nice work, Legends.

BAC penalized a FULL POINT for the use of baby powder.

I mean... that really is sort of funny I suppose in a sort of macabre way. Especially when we think of all the things that ARE allowed now on the field of competition in DCI these days.

Which should I fight for more ? To keep woodwinds, ie flutes, saxophones, etc out of DCI ? or Johnson & Johnson's Baby Powder ?

Which should I fight for more ? To keep woodwinds, ie flutes, saxophones, etc out of DCI ? or Johnson & Johnson's Baby Powder ?

Well, as of right now, both are not allowed. So you would be fighting to make one of those legal.

The question is: was Boston counting on this penalty happening? (Do they have a backup plan ready?) If a relatively uneducated fan like myself has been fearful of a penalty for the past week, surely their staff knew it was likely, right?

Edited by N.E. Brigand
  • Like 2

Check this out...posted by @corpscores on twitter just now

Interesting. Apparently there is actually an explicit rule against powder, found by @meganlucinda1: pic.twitter.com/cJso7hXmyE

Sorry don't have time to post the pic, but cut and paste the link and it works

But I agree with BRASSO bigtime. we are gonna complain about powder, yet DCI allows all this other crap on the field. TIme to change the rules I think

BOSTON CRUSADERS, I'm watching Semi finals on my 55 plasma tomorrow hoping I'll get to see this effect!!

The question is: was Boston counting on this penalty happening?

Boston is the only Corps to my knowledge that has ever gone onto tne field of competition with something in useage that they knew would incur a penalty, but did so anway. It was in their percussion section. Anybody want to guess what it was they used that resulted in a penalty ?... and when it was ? They knew it would bring a penalty but used it anyway becuse they belived it would give them the effect they wanted in their show and the audience acceptance they wanted and the instrumentation rules at that time. They simply played the instrument and took the penalty as a the neccessary trade off cost of its decision for its incorporation into their show.

But something tells me that Boston in the Quarters did not realize that baby powder was not permitted on the frield of competition, so they took the penalty not realizing it can't be utilized. But maybe someone close to the Corps could chime in on the baby powder penalty and if Boston staff was unaware of the prohibition of the use of baby powder in competition, and that its useage would result in a 1 point penalty.

Edited by BRASSO

Take the penalty. It was worth it.

That's so 1985 of them! tongue.gif

thumbup.gif

( For those of you who don't know, that's what they did in 1985 when they played Axel F ( From Beverly Hills Cops) with a synth. Was it a synth?)

That's so 1985 of them! tongue.gif

thumbup.gif

( For those of you who don't know, that's what they did in 1985 when they played Axel F ( From Beverly Hills Cops) with a synth. Was it a synth?)

You are correct. The Boston Crusaders were the first Corps to utilize a synth in a DCI field competition. Its use was prohibited at the time. But BAC used it in their show anyway, and willingly took the penalty at each show.

Good question. I know Broken Arrow did it at BOA Grand Nationals and were not penalized.

If dry ice is not considered a flammable liquid or hazardous material then I'd say it would be legal.