DCI 1+E 2013...Kinda Weak Sauce?

At least from the viewpoint of a percussionist, it's kind of a bum out to see so few corps participating. BD + LBS, from my glance at the recaps, being the only World Class corps competing. No bass ensembles this year either. I completely understand the (or at least one) rationale for declining to participate in light of its diversion of corps practice hours at such a crucial time in the season.

So the question is: are we witnessing the slow death of I +E?

I'm not even saying whether this is good or bad, but, "is this a phenomenon that is currently happening?"

And if so, how long before it's gone completely?

Discuss amongst yourselves.

• Like 1

Sorry, Bluecoats threw down also.

But still!

I think it's sad that many corps ban their members from participating in I&E.

I think it mainly happened this year because it was right before the finals run. It works out much better for everybody when it's after San Antonio, but for some reason they couldn't do that this year.

I think it mainly happened this year because it was right before the finals run. It works out much better for everybody when it's after San Antonio, but for some reason they couldn't do that this year.

It's MUCH better during finals week. It worked fine for 35+ years. if you really thing one day of rehearsal is going to get you that extra tenth, you've already lost.

• Like 1

Seemed to work fine for the many, many years that it was before Finals. Those few hours the day before Quarters aren't going to make more of a difference then the 2 months before.

• Like 1

Seemed to work fine for the many, many years that it was before Finals. Those few hours the day before Quarters aren't going to make more of a difference then the 2 months before.

The problem is that corps are more often having to house farther away from Indy. Schools start early in Indy, which screws things up. It's not just a few hours. It's that, and an extra 3 hours of driving possibly.

I also think it does make a difference between having it after San Antonio and right before finals. There's a lot more momentum and push on the day before Quarters. But that's just my two cents.

I also know for a fact that Bluecoats would have let all of their members compete, not just ageouts, if it had been in San Antonio. But like I said, they aren't close to Indy.

Edited by Noname

At least from the viewpoint of a percussionist, it's kind of a bum out to see so few corps participating. BD + LBS, from my glance at the recaps, being the only World Class corps competing. No bass ensembles this year either. I completely understand the (or at least one) rationale for declining to participate in light of its diversion of corps practice hours at such a crucial time in the season.

So the question is: are we witnessing the slow death of I +E?

I'm not even saying whether this is good or bad, but, "is this a phenomenon that is currently happening?"

And if so, how long before it's gone completely?

Discuss amongst yourselves.

I think it seems fairly obvious we're seeing the slow death of I&E; maybe another 5 or so years before folks give up on it?

I think it's sad that many corps ban their members from participating in I&E.

To be fair, is this corps "banning" their members from participating, or is it the members just aren't that interested in participating anymore? I know it might be a chicken/egg type of thing, but maybe members just aren't as interesting in putting in a bit of extra time on a solo/ensemble type of thing. I've talked to folks in corps who used to send lots of members to I&E, and they've told me they'd rather rehearse and get better as a corps than take half a day off, or rehearse with holes. And I totally understand that logic.

Don't get me wrong: I know there are definitely corps that do not participate in I&E, and haven't in a long time (if not ever). But some corps that have participated previously but don't know might not be 100% "corps banning members from participating"

I thought it was sad this year.

The kids performing in darkened tents.

Oh and the BD percussion ensemble. Terrible. Just a bunch of unmusical same volume street beats. And it won?

I personally think it's kinda silly how some of the percussion soloists verbally say the name of the 'piece' they are going to be playing. The piece will never be performed or remembered again, right?