My thoughts

The funniest thing of the night. Watching program directors explain the meaning of their shows. And most shows I didn't care about the theme of the show but did enjoy the performance.

Craziest thing was Crusaders getting a point penalty for baby powder. Especially since it really wasn't on the field.

Weirdest thing, the evil queen in Phantoms show. I expected better.

Coolest thing tie between Madison singing You'll never walk alone and Troopers show.

WTF moment, 3 way tie between showing the same Bluecoats tenor over and over and over again and showing the same women wearing the yellow blouse in the stand over and over again. And when rondo spoke on Cavies shows "secret societies and one of the terms used was Grand Wizard when talking about leaders of secret societies. You could almost hear the inside of his head saying "#### I didn't mean to say that". My daughter and I looked at each other busted out laughing.

Biggest disappointment, the size of the crowds reports in DCP. Less then 20 at my picture house but I'm sure the other one was full. But most of that crowd is from the same high school.

Edited by Blackstar

I went to the cinema event last night. I enjoyed all the shows except for that mess BD put on at the end, and then they end up winning!!! I'm sorry, but if this is what DCI is rewarding these days, then it's become an absolute joke. Yes, the BD kids are amazingly talented, but it's an issue when those amazingly talented kids aren't entertaining. It's seems to me that would turn off fans. Maybe I'm just old and I don't understand what the young kids consider "entertainment." However, it just seems to me that winning DCI is about playing cleaner bleeps and blops instead of moving the audience to tears or making them jump out of their seats. Sad....

And one note regarding the original posting in this forum: The fact that PR has few african american members is a non-issue and silly to bring up. I've been a PR fan for years and years and they have had many members of all sorts of ethnicities.

Nobody that I could see or hear clapped for BD. It was all.most embarrassing and I felt bad for the kids. It was like the scene in Coming to America's Greatest Love of All when the preacher sang. Oh....but how genius the judges and creative staff. I'm pretty sure the kids would rather being liked and no win than win and be resented. Can't speak for them. I saw everyone and what is what I remember. Allentowns weather is nice, loved the music fest downtown, the fried oreos were great, said hello to Hop, the horn lines look very pegorative term dancing, apparently everything wants to be a circle and some guy loves a girl and BD mics their soloist. Beyond this....oh....I missed SCV because John Candy wouldn't let me in through the south gate. But...I don't like Led Mis anyway...so...down two strikes before the first note. They could a turned me around. Its possible.

I wish y'all would put those in th Reviews forum. But thanks for them, just th same!

Saw the show last night in a theater in Myrtle Beach. Nice sized, enthusiastic crowd. Applause for every corps. I have not seen any drum corps this summer other than a few Youtube moments, so these are my first impressions. I am too old to be negative, so I will stick with what I liked.

PC - very enjoyable way to start the night. Great sound, nice looking corps.

Troopers - Reminded me way I first starting liking drum corps more than 35 years ago. Great show. Sun burst goose bumps.

Crossmen - as in many years in the past, a foot tapping musical book. Loved the arrangements.

Blue Stars - well designed show. The drum line was smoking in my opinion, probably under scored. The finalist corps seem pretty well set from what I saw.

Spirit - Great sound and a fun show.

Blue Knights - Loved this show, everything about it. The music and visual worked well together. The ending, which I guess was new, really worked. I would not be surprised if they moved up a placement.

Boston - I wondered what came first, the bombing or the show theme. I assume the show was well along in design before April. Whatever, I found the show engaging with a pretty emotional tug. The revelation of the red uniform top brought quite a reaction from the crowd in the theater. Very well done Boston.

Madison - Drum corps is better when Madison is good. Great moment when the camera showed people in the crowd standing and singing.

Cavaliers - The hand wringing from earlier this summer can stop. The Cavies performed very well last night and the G7 should be intact come Saturday.

Bluecoats - I really enjoyed their musical selections, sound and look. Just an all around solid drum corps that seems to bring it every year.

Phantom - I would like to give a shout out to Don Hill's arrangements. Beautiful music. The classic Phantom look was there. Another solid top six drum corps.

SCV - I will use this line again (paraphrased), drum corps is better when SCV is challenging at the top. Anyone who was introduced to drum corps in the mid-70s loves the Vanguard. Their show was a joy to watch and listen to - recognizable music and classic visuals. A tip of the hat to the mellophone soloist who is playing without a net in the closer, beautiful. Thank you.

Cadets - Incredible show. The demand is off the charts. I loved this show and would not mind seeing it win on Saturday. The horns, drums and guard all perform at a level I could not imagine just a few years ago. I thought the ending was simply great.

Crown - home state favorite for those in the theater. I would not mind if they win on Saturday. Everything about this show is cool. This is a corps I had seen on Youtube and I always figured the talking was recorded. New found respect when I realized most of it was performed live. Carolina Crown did SC proud.

Blue Devils - Every year they push the design envelope and find kids who can perform the show perfectly. What a great drum and bugle corps. I was mesmerized by this show and wish I was in Indianapolis to watch it live all three nights. Someone in the theater complained that they do not move - I am not sure what show he was watching, because they appeared to be moving quite well from my vantage point. A third corps that I would not mind seeing win Saturday night (I have no bias against any of the three).

For those attending the show Saturday night, you are the lucky ones. What a great top twelve you will see. The top four are possibly the best top four ever. The top three could end up with a half point of each other - put their names in a hat and pull out a winner, you will probably get it right.

The theater experience was worth the money spent. The video and audio were top notch. The three announcers did well. The field interviews were fun. The backstage shots were cool.

My one negative sitting in the theater after viewing all the crowd shots - drum corps fans as an aggregate need to lose some weight. Holy cow, if we do not take better care of ourselves, there will be very few fans over the age of 60.

• Like 1

"Oh, and I really like the Rite of Spring, but Stravinsly is spinning in his grave right now after they butchered his masterpiece"

You do realize they are not playing the Rite of Spring .... they are playing Brenzel's/Sebesky's jazz arrangements of the Rite of Spring.

Yes, I realize that.

Blue Devils 2005. "YOWZA!"

I'm kidding.

The allowance of narration and other instruments (did you know Oregon Crusaders have an electric guitar in their pit?) and sampling has not done anything to make new fans of corps, or to make the shows more 'fun' contrary to Mr. Hopkins' beliefs.

And it has caused real harm to the audio/video history of the activity through portions, or entire shows, being blacked out (obviously referring to the use of electronics with this). I think it is very hard, maybe impossible, to find the positives and very easy to find the negatives. That has been a net loss to the activity and DCI. It is rare that I find anybody saying that the narration actually positively added to a show either, instead most people (even newbies) find it distracting/annoying.

Edited by Tekneek