All eyes on Glenn Fugett tonight

So last night Martin Griffin had Crown's percussion a full point below BD and 1.1 behind Cadets.

It would have only taken .3 to put them 6th in percussion over Madison Scouts to tie BD in overall score.

If the percussion score was on par with BD and Cadets, there wouldn't be a question.

Last year, Crown slid from 3rd to 6th between QF and Finals.

Now that the slotting has been set, does Crown find a way to pull out those few extra tenths from Glenn?

(On a side note, I think a big part of what is hurting Crown's percussion score is the show design. They aren't executing it well, which is a whole other issue, but their design is just flawed. Everything revolves around the horn line and the percussion seems to not have enough moments to shine. The only thing memorable about their front ensemble is the vocals that I personally find annoying. I don't remember a single moment of front ensemble playing that wasn't overshadowed by something else going on.)

• Like 4

The fallacy with this type of reasoning is that it assumes all of the other caption scores will remain the same, except percussion. But just as a different percussion judge can mean a few tenths here and there, so can it for the other captions.

So yes, they can make it up in theory, but they may lose it elsewhere. Or gain elsewhere even.

• Like 2

The fallacy with this type of reasoning is that it assumes all of the other caption scores will remain the same, except percussion. But just as a different percussion judge can mean a few tenths here and there, so can it for the other captions.

So yes, they can make it up in theory, but they may lose it elsewhere. Or gain elsewhere even.

That may be true. Especially since all judges are different tonight but the Percussion caption is the wild card here. When was the last time anyone won a championship with a single caption that was in 7th place?

• Like 1

1972 Anaheim Kingsmen--7th Marching & Maneuvering

1984 Garfield Cadets--7th Percussion

So its been 29 years since that kind of spread won a championship. Pretty much what I was expecting.

Crown does have some room to improve to make up the spread in Visual Analysis if they can't make up any percussion ground but if Crown does pull this off, it will be in spite of their percussion scores.

Glenn will make the right call based on clarity (execution) of the ensembles tonight. My 2 cents, Cadets were SMOKIN' Thursday night, and SCV had an "off" night. While I appreciate BD's show design, I am at a loss as to why they were even in the top 3 / 4 percussion wise. Their battery tacets for 40 sexs to 1 min 30 secs at times, and they play easy "content" when on the move.

Placement Thurs should have been #1-Cadets; #2 Bluecoats (yes I am an alum, but they truly played nice Thurs); #3 SCV; #4- BD.

Unfortunately, gone are the days when perc judges (or most any judge) will "score" a corps low enough to drive them out of a "slot."

As for Marty Griffin...... he's becoming a true "artist" at slotting over the last 2-3 years.

Crown's percussion ens will make or break their title hopes.

• Like 6

While I appreciate BD's show design, I am at a loss as to why they were even in the top 3 / 4 percussion wise. Their battery tacets for 40 sexs to 1 min 30 secs at times, and they play easy "content" when on the move.

That's been the BD M.O. for about the last 15 years.

• Like 2

Glenn will make the right call based on clarity (execution) of the ensembles tonight. My 2 cents, Cadets were SMOKIN' Thursday night, and SCV had an "off" night. While I appreciate BD's show design, I am at a loss as to why they were even in the top 3 / 4 percussion wise. Their battery tacets for 40 sexs to 1 min 30 secs at times, and they play easy "content" when on the move.

Placement Thurs should have been #1-Cadets; #2 Bluecoats (yes I am an alum, but they truly played nice Thurs); #3 SCV; #4- BD.

Unfortunately, gone are the days when perc judges (or most any judge) will "score" a corps low enough to drive them out of a "slot."

As for Marty Griffin...... he's becoming a true "artist" at slotting over the last 2-3 years.

Crown's percussion ens will make or break their title hopes.

Dude...come on...really? You can really sit there and say that BD's drumcline should not be in the top 4? REALLY? And that Bluecoats line last night was better than SCV? Come on man...don't let the blind hate and homerism make you look silly.

• Like 2