Carolina Crown Narration

180 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like Crown's narration?

2. 2. Do you think Crown's narration is effective?

I've seen this discussed in multiple threads over the past few weeks so why not join them all together here as we head towards semis. I've put in polls and the one thing I would ask is even if you do not like Crown's narration please think about whether it is effective or not before you vote in the second, don't just let your dislike or like effect the way you vote in the second one. Make that two things, let's not insult the kids or staff of Crown, but especially each other. We all have different opinions. It's what makes us human.

May as well start the topic with my opinion and a disclaimer. I am familiar with Einstein on the Beach. I enjoy Einstein on the Beach. I enjoy 20th century minimalist works like those written by Glass and Arvo Part and the like. I also enjoy Crown's narration and the effect it has over the show. I think the most effective parts of the narration are in the ballad when he says "You are the light of my life, my sun, moon, and stars. Without you, I have no reason for being." and it leads into the horn build to the hit and then at the very end when they recap "Everything must have an ending except my love for you." and he goes through the 'wormhole' to her and they end on the park bench again. Goosebumps every time. I do think there are parts of the narration that are less effective than those two parts, though it's never even close to the point of bringing me out of the show. The "Impossible you say?" moment leading into the closer always makes me smile.

I think 'it's in the source material' is on the weaker side of reasons to include something which is why I brought up how effective I personally feel it is first, however I also think it's something that needs to be considered. And they did modify the narration in the ballad. They took out other narrations that were happening on top of it in the source material. And it is more effective within their show for that reason.

I don't consider the singing counting to be a narration, but I think between the narration and the singing, it's an overall thread that is one of the reasons, in my opinion, the show ties together so well and works so well. I think it's a great representation of music that isn't heard very often and a great showing for the multiple talents of some of the kids.

With my opinions out there, let the debate begin! thumbup.gif

• Like 1

Irrespective if I like or dislike voice-over narration. If it is going to be done about the subject of Love, please use or create a wonderful sonnet and not the trite words I heard from Crown.

But the 'trite words from Crown' are the original source materials from Einstein on the Beach, Knee 5, the last section.

• Like 6

I think putting anything over that wonderful brass line is a sin. However, at certain times it can be effective (I consider the counting narration) but not, in my opinion, the lines in the ballad (I don't care if they were in the source material, they don't translate well to the field).

• Like 2

But the 'trite words from Crown' are the original source materials from Einstein on the Beach, Knee 5, the last section.

Still, the words came across as trite (lack of freshness, non-believable due to lack of passionate enunciation); and if that is the way the original source material meant it to be then the source material is the problem. The voicing of the numbers, and of the various rhythmic syllables were rather effective, but not the words on Love.

Edited by Stu
  • Like 1

Should include one more poll - if you could keep one would you keep either narration? I'm ok with the Einstein on the Beach narration because it fits (sadly I sat through a good chunk of the opera during college and was familiar with it). The love story narration has got to go.

• Like 1

Irrespective if I like or dislike voice-over narration. If it is going to be done about the subject of Love, please use or create a wonderful sonnet and not the trite words I heard from Crown.

The only thing that would make the words trite would be insincerity in my opinion. Just because the words may have been said before, or even edging on cliche, doesn't mean they're trite.

• Like 1

It is original (and from the inspiration material) ... and the majority of it is performed live and in-synch with the music ... it's not just random phrases and sound effects sampled and played over speakers as others are doing and have done in the past.

Wow. Surprising how many people are seemingly unfamiliar with Philip Glass' Einstein on the Beach!

• Like 2

Should include one more poll - if you could keep one would you keep either narration? I'm ok with the Einstein on the Beach narration because it fits (sadly I sat through a good chunk of the opera during college and was familiar with it). The love story narration has got to go.

Are you talking about the counting as one narration? And both are Einstein on the Beach narrations if the counting is what you consider one narration so I'm a little confused.