Hostrauser's Incredibly Unpopular DCI Quarterfinals Opinions

Thanks for the posts.

Crowns drumline is right where they belong.

They should feel lucky phantom isn't in front of them.

Groupings:

Cadets

BD

SCV

Cavies

Bluecoats

Phantom

Crown

Madison

• Like 2

We have pretty similar takes on the year...

YAY and MEH: The Cadets. Loved, loved, loved Symphony No. 1, how much they used of it, and how it was worked into the show. Fantastic. On the other hand, Medea was a mess. Just a few chop-n-bop segments and quotations, never allowed to develop or contribute like the Symphony and Adagio did. The soft ending didn't bother me, but the lead into it did. The six note pattern at the end of Medea that builds into a furious climax they neutered, turning it from a crescendo into a decrescendo, and hammering that square peg into that round hole until they reached the Adagio again. Sorry Mr. Bocook, DCI Hall of Famer or no, that Medea-to-Adagio progression at the end of the show is just plain bad writing.

Especially this. Symphony #1 is the most musical thing on the field this summer, period. It's also just a beautiful use of the visual to support/interpret the music rather than the other way around. But then I just sort of pretend that the Cadets play some angry music for a while that has nothing whatsoever to do with Samuel Barber's Medea - it's easier to swallow that way.

If only they had resisted the temptation to shoehorn Medea into the show...

Thanks for the posts.

Crowns drumline is right where they belong.

They should feel lucky phantom isn't in front of them.

Groupings:

Cadets

BD

SCV

Cavies

Bluecoats

Phantom

Crown

Madison

Interesting coincidence: a guy who marched Regiment last year but got cut from the line this year...is marching Crown.

?6MfWz2#Q!?: Blue Devils. People talk about comparing apples and oranges, but that's not quite right. It's more like comparing a bowl of assorted fruit (the rest of DCI) and a talking octopus throwing bricks at the fine china (Blue Devils). The Blue Devils are fundamentally different from every other DCI corps (for better AND for worse). Every other corps treats the visual book as drill and guard for the skeleton, then body movement, dance, and other flourishes as the meat and skin that's added to the skeleton to make it look real. The Blue Devils toss all of the elements in a blender, then make a funkadelic visual golem out of the resulting putty. They both LOOK and ACT like visual programs, but they are fundamentally different to their very cores. Sure, the Blue Devils' drill is once again the easiest of the Top 3 or 4: lots of follow the leader, block forms, and scatter. But while the DRILL demands on the performers might be less, the overall VISUAL demand is not. The scope and variety of different elements going on simultaneously but working together to form a cohesive visual program in the Blue Devils' show is staggering. The field coverage and utilization of space is incredible. Musically, the drumline has been the strength of this corps for most of the past five years. But there's significant brass difficulty here, too. The harmonics of Stravinsky have not been watered down, placing tremendous demand on the performers to have a unified concept and execution of tone and intonation. It can be very difficult to make dissonance sound correct and not like a mistake and, far from just dipping their toes in this pool, the Blue Devils' horn book stays in this challenging area for pretty much the entirety. In terms of chord structures and ensemble harmonics, BD has the toughest show on the field. And, while they might not have the audacious runs of Crown, there were more than a few complex jazz syncopations that require an almost hive-mind like approach to articulation. So, yeah, Blue Devils. I'm not sure they should win, but there's no way they're not one of the Top 2 corps this year. Again. I like it, I'm not sure I like it, I don't want to like it, I don't like it, and I really, really respect it. All of these are true, all at the same time.

This may be the most accurate description of what the Blue Devils are doing that I've read all summer. You are spot on, especially regarding the visual demand and brass book.

• Like 5

Are you becoming like the groundhog coming out to predict the end of winter?

It's about time you popped out with your clever outlook!

I miss your notorious rankings - you were always " spot on " !

Glad you enjoyed " The Sunburst " - to me it is really exciting that when the form develops you know exactly what is coming!

I agree with mostly all you said - especially how Phantom just seems to come to a halt -

for myself - I enjoyed the Blue Devils - Rite of Spring grew on me over the years

please bring back your rankings

frankiE

• Like 1

Interesting coincidence: a guy who marched Regiment last year but got cut from the line this year...is marching Crown.

So you can pour your heart and soul into a corps one year and get cut the following year?

Is this a common practice in corps? This is the first I have ever heard of this.

Edited by Tupac