Hostrauser's Incredibly Unpopular DCI Quarterfinals Opinions

Just wanted to pile on the kudos to this excellent post.

Also, to merge Dr. Strangelove with Zero Wing? Epic.

Annnnnd Dr Zoidburg..... :tongue:

• Like 1

TROUBLING TREND: There were many DCI corps this year that had HALF of a great show. It seems like the show designers came up with this really awesome idea, and front-loaded the show so that the first 5-6 minutes were just incredible and amazing. But then we got to the point of development and resolution and the inspiration fairy fluttered away while giving them a two-fisted "rigid digit" salute. Too many corps followed up an impressive first half of a show with a fairly uninspired, drum corps-by-the-numbers second half, as if they either (a) didn't know how to wrap the show up, or (b) were just going down the Standard DCI Checklist for What Scores Well and checking off boxes. The G7 corps were not immune from this plague, either. I don't want to name names, but if you think of the University of Virginia, West Point, and old Leroy Anderson pops pieces you might figure it out.

I believe the fact that corps followed up an impressive first half of a show with a fairly uninspired second half may be simply a matter of talent. Finding people that have the ability to conceptually envision and design the full show is a very difficult task. When the ideas for great drum corps moments dry up the tendency is to look at what worked in this activities past and try to emulate. Both Crown and Blue Devils have seemed too latched on to designers and minds that can sustain their inventive qualities over multiple seasons. The trend for many corps is to bring in new designers, and while these are very talented people at what they do, being able to design the “full package” may be beyond their collective abilities at this point of their careers. There is also the question of economics both for the corps and designers.

Thanks Hostrauser for a great post.

Herein lies the rub. My comments about BD, and my entire argument regarding BD, is that for them drill is NOT the core of the visual program. I feel it is for virtually every other corps in DCI, but not the Blue Devils. For the Blue Devils, drill, dance, body movement and control, and everything else are all given EQUAL importance and blended together until they are part of a unique amalgamation that can only be labeled as "Blue Devils visual style." And that is what makes them fundamentally different from every other corps, from design all the way through instruction and execution.

Also, there seems to be an expectation from the fans that DCI's visual judges should treat drill as first and foremost in visual judging. But I don't think the sheets are written that way. Joe Crowdmember tends to value drill design and execution far above all other elements in their visual opinions, but it does not necessarily have the same weight/priority that the judges are looking for.

You are right...but here is my problem, how do you comparably judge one corps who is so fundamentally different from everyone else? I feel they are being rewarded because they are different and in a way that punishes corps who have taken the traditional ideas of visual design to new heights. No matter how you slice it BDs visual show is easier to perform relative to the other top tier corps (and that DOES NOT mean it is easy in and of itself) why should they be deemed better automatically because they are different.

• Like 1

You are right...but here is my problem, how do you comparably judge one corps who is so fundamentally different from everyone else? I feel they are being rewarded because they are different and in a way that punishes corps who have taken the traditional ideas of visual design to new heights. No matter how you slice it BDs visual show is easier to perform relative to the other top tier corps (and that DOES NOT mean it is easy in and of itself) why should they be deemed better automatically because they are different.

I do not agree with your contention that it is easier to perform. At all.

• Like 2

You must have been watching BD’s contras, Contrafart

At least 4 times in this years’ show they set their contra’s down on the field and do some of the ‘added visual detail’. Once, they ran back and forth around their horns and but the most impressive was their primitive monkey dance circle

Sure, it was an effect and it went with the show but, well, you know…those bits seemed a lot easier than hauling around with a contra in formation a lot less risky to the judges eye also

• Like 3

You must have been watching BD’s contras, Contrafart

At least 4 times in this years’ show they set their contra’s down on the field and do some of the ‘added visual detail’. Once, they ran back and forth around their horns and but the most impressive was their primitive monkey dance circle

Sure, it was an effect and it went with the show but, well, you know…those bits seemed a lot easier than hauling around with a contra in formation a lot less risky to the judges eye also

Spirit's contras put down their instruments for an extended period so that they could manipulate the poles used for the bar / jail sequence.

Prove your "feeling of them being rewarded because of being different" and if it was "automatic" why did Crown beat them in effect visual on several occasions?

Also I will point out my beef I have with this style of visual... Long musical transitions that seem pointless (in order to make seamless visual transitions) . $20, at the end of the day, the visual ended up hurting them in music effect. So, the visual might of cost them the win.

Edited by CloudHype
  • Like 1

Spirit's contras put down their instruments for an extended period so that they could manipulate the poles used for the bar / jail sequence.

Yes they did, the guard handed them off to them and they set up a jail scene at the end of it…it didnt seem to get the same sort of judge love in visual or wet pants from Spirit fans as being art above the masses' head but it was a good way to absolve the contras of marching a bit, probably saved some ticks and dirt…it too was an effect that went with the show theme but I dont feel it upped the visual demand, Id say it was also easier than marching a form with a contra

Edited by cowtown
  • Like 1

But it's not the Blue Devils so we can't ##### about it.

I think it was easier to do the primitive monkey dance than to march a formation with a contra, do you think otherwise?

Why?

I think it’s easier because I have marched and have done the primitive monkey dance (or similar) so it’s entirely based upon my opinion due to my experience so somewhat subjective perhaps

Have you done the primitive monkey dance?

Go ahead, give it shot and do the primitive monkey dance

Edited by cowtown
  • Like 1