Hostrauser's Incredibly Unpopular DCI Quarterfinals Opinions

This may be the most accurate description of what the Blue Devils are doing that I've read all summer. You are spot on, especially regarding the visual demand and brass book.

Tell me about it. This is why I come here, to look for that rare post about a show I'm just having trouble getting the full picture out of and coming away with a completely new and excellent understanding of what's being done and why it's more amazing than I can imagine.

Essentially, my thoughts are like BD's show and this post just translated them for me to understand.

Edited by DrumcorpsmademeaTuba
  • Like 1

You say his assessment of BD is "spot on" but apparently you ignored what he said. You suggest that BD's drill is less demanding but he explains that "The scope and variety of different elements going on simultaneously but working together to form a cohesive visual program in the Blue Devils' show is staggering." and it is being done across the entire field constantly. The best corps with the best performance of the best designed show will win tomorrow night....and unlike you, if it's BD, I'll be thrilled..... if it's CC or Cadets...I will be surprised, but equally pleased for the Champions....they will have earned it.

and you ignored what I said, I said in the post the the difficulty in BDs show is the volume of things the performers must do, its the 50 hard things vs 100 easy things argument.

• Like 1

and you ignored what I said, I said in the post the the difficulty in BDs show is the volume of things the performers must do, its the 50 hard things vs 100 easy things argument.

I'm not really sure you even understand what demanding is. You've posted for a long time about how easy you believe BD's drill to be. I think you are only thinking in terms of tempo or step size (something Devils have had in abundance, particularly the last few years). Whiplash drill isn't what it's all about. Heck, a lot of high-speed whiplash drill is fairly easy, or at best only physically demanding.

The Blue Devils (and Crown to some extent, with different responsibilities) are putting excruciating physical AND mental demands on the performers. They also do it in terms of simultaneous responsibilities, something you rarely see from whiplash drill corps. The folks that took pot-shots at the chairs, mirrors, and poles really have no idea how zero-tolerance that visual style is, not to mention exhausting physically and mentally. Consider as well the challenge of marching closed geometric forms with *multiple* points of exposure and it gets even harder.

I wish Devils would have a fantasy baseball type camp where we could send the folks that just don't understand...they'd learn really quick how truly difficult that type of visual program truly is.

Edited by Kamarag
  • Like 8

I love the OP! I love the way you turn a phrase. I just wish you wrote it based on watching a live performance.

Great insights for sure. i would have loved to here what he thinks of the Bluecoats, now especially with a tie with Phantom going into finals. Was there last night and enjoyed all the energy areound the corps and the audience.

Hostrauser:

With all those green pluses, I believe you underestimated just how popular your "incredibly unpopular" opinions would be!smile.gif

I just went back and looked at his original post. He has 26 green "+" signs, and a GOLD STAR in the right top of his post which proclaims him to be "popular!" Hmmmmf.

I could be "popular" too, if I really wanted to be. sad.gif

Edited by wvu80