Viewing Finals on Web

Thanks for creating this thread. And do you mind if I crash and ask about my situation?

I have a MacBook Air. Exactly what kind of HDMI Adapter do I need to connect to my Smart TV? Be as specific as you can because a techie I am NOT.

I also have a very old (white) MacBook which I used for prelims and semis-- using some adapter thing (which cannot be used with my newer MacBook Air). Great audio, but the video was not HD quality (not sharp).

There has to be a way to get great video AND audio with either or both of my Mac laptops. Help, please?

3rd question--Why is it that, at least with semis, the only option I had on the FN was to connect to HQ/MOBILE multi-cam or hi. What's up with the MOBILE choice only?

Yesterday on the train coming home from work, I was viewing semi-finals live on my iPad Mini.....no Flash needed.....worked great, even on LTE cell connection.

Great, they've improved this then. I don't think you could do this on an iPad without Apple TV a year ago.

Thanks for creating this thread. And do you mind if I crash and ask about my situation?

I have a MacBook Air. Exactly what kind of HDMI Adapter do I need to connect to my Smart TV? Be as specific as you can because a techie I am NOT.

I also have a very old (white) MacBook which I used for prelims and semis-- using some adapter thing (which cannot be used with my newer MacBook Air). Great audio, but the video was not HD quality (not sharp).

There has to be a way to get great video AND audio with either or both of my Mac laptops. Help, please?

3rd question--Why is it that, at least with semis, the only option I had on the FN was to connect to HQ/MOBILE multi-cam or hi. What's up with the MOBILE choice only?

You want a mini port to hdmi adapter. You may be able to get one at best buy but I don't know (I got mine from amazon). Hdmi includes sound, but you have to enable that on your MacBook in the sound settings.

Ok, for you fellow PS3'ers...

I'm right now using the internet browser on my PS3, and am watching the little pre-recorded video with Potter and the dude from dcifinals.com.

Stream looks and sounds beautiful, but I can't figure out how to use either my controller or PS3 remote to access full screen.

Anyone else doing this, because I'd hate to get this far and have to go back to hardwiring the HDMI connection between my aging MacBook and TV.

And yes, I'm one of those idiots that bought a 1st Gen Apple TV, so mirroring is out of the question.

UPDATE: Turns out I figured out the PS3 full-screen issue by accident. When viewing the small-screen video, I used the game controller and simply pushed down on the right joystick, then simply adjust the picture horizontally and/or vertically with the left directional buttons. Works beautifully.

Edited by HollywoodNeoCon

Something like THIS. That's exactly what I use. I know an Amazon link won't help you now, but you can take that to Staples, Walmart, Radio Shack, etc. and see if they have one like it. It doesn't have to be the same brand. When you plug it in to the port on the Air (Thunderbolt port on the newer Airs), go to System Preferences -> Sound and make sure the output is set to HDMI.

And as for your third question, that's not mobile only. They just called it that so those with a mobile device would know that it would work. It's Flash when you watch it on your computer, and HTML5 when you watch on a mobile device. There's no difference in quality.

Yeah, in order to get sound into the TV, the laptop would need an audio out port along with a video out port if it doesn't have an HDMI out port--and since it's an old laptop, I can see that it wouldn't have HDMI out. If it just has a video VGA or DVI out port without an audio out port, you won't be able to get sound into the TV from this laptop.

Most newer TVs now have a "DVI" input section on the back, which consists of an HDMI port for video and a 3.5mm jack for audio (from the headphone jack) from older computers. So it would be possible.

Great, they've improved this then. I don't think you could do this on an iPad without Apple TV a year ago.

The only thing keeping it from working on mobile devices, iPad included, was the lack of HTML5 support. Apple TV has never been necessary. It is a great option for mirroring the display to the TV though.

Edited by cmathis

You may have a hard time finding one on such late notice, but you can watch it on your TV with Google's Chromecast. ($35.00). You need a wireless connection and a USB port on your TV.

Yeah, in order to get sound into the TV, the laptop would need an audio out port along with a video out port if it doesn't have an HDMI out port--and since it's an old laptop, I can see that it wouldn't have HDMI out. If it just has a video VGA or DVI out port without an audio out port, you won't be able to get sound into the TV from this laptop.

Most newer TVs now have a "DVI" input section on the back, which consists of an HDMI port for video and a 3.5mm jack for audio (from the headphone jack) from older computers. So it would be possible.

I don't think we're disagreeing. My point is that if someone is using a cable with DVI on one or both ends, there is no sound that goes to the TV. So he has to check his laptop to find some type of audio out port--yes, it can be a headphone jack, though he may find the audio level disappointing doing this--and he then has to match the cable from that to the TV audio in port, or he won't hear sound on the TV. Not everyone knows that cables that are HDMI on both ends carry sound, but cables that are DVI on at least one end do not carry sound and require a separate sound cable.

Something like THIS. That's exactly what I use. I know an Amazon link won't help you now, but you can take that to Staples, Walmart, Radio Shack, etc. and see if they have one like it. It doesn't have to be the same brand. When you plug it in to the port on the Air (Thunderbolt port on the newer Airs), go to System Preferences -> Sound and make sure the output is set to HDMI.

And as for your third question, that's not mobile only. They just called it that so those with a mobile device would know that it would work. It's Flash when you watch it on your computer, and HTML5 when you watch on a mobile device. There's no difference in quality.

The only thing keeping it from working on mobile devices, iPad included, was the lack of HTML5 support. Apple TV has never been necessary. It is a great option for mirroring the display to the TV though.

Thank you so much! I'll try to find what you recommend!

How new is your Macbook Air? If you have an Apple Store nearby, that's your best bet to find the right adapter at this late date. You need a Mini-DisplayPort to HDMI adapter, but newer Macbook Airs have Thunderbolt, which uses the Mini-DisplayPort connector, but it can do more over the wire, and which adapter is best depends on which model you have.

Might be easier to just get an AppleTV ($99), which you can then stream your Mac's screen to over your wifi.

The word "mobile" in there just means it'll work on iPads and iPhones and other things that support h.264 streaming. It doesn't mean you can't use it on your computer.

Edited by skywhopper

You may have a hard time finding one on such late notice, but you can watch it on your TV with Google's Chromecast. ($35.00). You need a wireless connection and a USB port on your TV.

Not USB. It plugs into an HDMI port on your TV.

But yeah, Chromecast is a good option if you can find it (they carry them at Best Buy but it might be sold out). I'm planning to use my Chromecast to watch Finals tonight (I haven't had a chance to really try it out yet beyond a few VODs, so it better work!! :tongue: ).

Or, AppleTV will do the same for you for $99 if you have an iPhone, iPad, or Mac.