Crown Wins! And Other Finals Results

Since people are talking about records and firsts for things. How about this one.

Isn't Crown the first corps to ever win Division II (now Open Class) and then World Class?

Also the only corps to ever have participated in a lower division of DCI to have won the top division. :thumbup:

To turn things around, the only corps that's still around that won their first championship while Carolina Crown has even existed is Phantom.

At 2004 Finals in Denver, after Crown's performance of "Bohemian Rhapsody" I told my friend Dave "Watch out for this Corps".

Now Dave claims I never said those words.

I said it thrice. In 1995, they first made Finals with "Stormworks." It was so hard and mature in design, yet they managed. Then a few years later when M. Shapiro was making that color guard do impossible stuff, I said it again. Then, they dropped out of Finals, and I shut my mouth. Then, that awesome horse show made me say it again. (I thought for sure they'd win in 2010.)

It's like watching a friend's kid learn to walk, talk, take that first school bus ride and finally give the Valedictorian speech at commencement.

• Like 1

Also the only corps to ever have participated in a lower division of DCI to have won the top division. :thumbup:/>

To turn things around, the only corps that's still around that won their first championship while Carolina Crown has even existed is Phantom.

If you're counting only DCI Championships, don't forget the Cavaliers.

If you're counting other championships (VFW, etc.), then I think you're right as it is, unless Phantom has some I don't know about.

Some up and coming corps should hire Pyware's demo writer then, if he can come up with drill that gets 2nd and 4th place content scores.

They were pretty inconsistent over the course of the year.

*conspiracy rant on*

I think the hardest thing for up and coming corps is GE. I think GE and the scores is the whackiest part about drum corps and I think it's generally the glue that holds the placements year to year. I really think that there are corps outside of the top 6 with genuinely more creative, clever, better visual design, but because of the pack they might be in, they just get compared to that. Alternatively, all it takes to fall down is GE and suddenly all aspects of the corps goes down with it.

*conspiracy rant off*

I thought that it wasn't going to be percussion this year that brought them down, but the visual scores. Obviously it didn't work out that way fortunately, but I am of the opinion that the visual program, with the exception of the color guard, is pretty blah. I mean, every transition was a pinwheel and it all too often went to basically the same box in generally the same part of the field. And the scatter was even more useless than when BD scatters. All the form to box drill moves looked just like the drill writer hit "B" and all the little people on the screen snapped to a grid. The drum break, which is normally a time for a vis staff showcase, was pretty pasty boring 6-5 walking to yard lines with band arm visuals. Am I the only one who notices these things in drill? Apparently

Edited by TESB
  • Like 1

I mean, every transition was a pinwheel and it all too often went to basically the same box in generally the same part of the field. And the scatter was even more useless than when BD scatters. All the form to box drill moves looked just like the drill writer hit "B" and all the little people on the screen snapped to a grid. The drum break, which is normally a time for a vis staff showcase, was pretty pasty boring 6-5 walking to yard lines with band arm visuals. Am I the only one who notices these things in drill? Apparently

I suppose I agree that their drill itself didn't stand out as the most interesting of the year, excepting the rotating tetrahedron, but it was difficult and they executed it extremely well, and they do a lot of other interesting things visually that make up for the less interesting drill.

I do think the best year for drill design from Crown was 2009, though the visual execution was their weak spot that year. But that show had some truly incredible and effective drill design, in my opinion. The pulsating, rotating storm that transitions into a block with a ribbon moving through and the flip-flopping arrows, and the rotating blocks with guard-run-through into the big diamond that jumps sideways, and the lead-up to the snake form... yes, I believe these are the technical names for the moves. :tongue:

2008 had some fantastic moments as well, but there were some pretty iffy transitions. Although the homages to older famous drill are brilliant in and of themselves.

Edited by skywhopper

At 2004 Finals in Denver, after Crown's performance of "Bohemian Rhapsody" I told my friend Dave "Watch out for this Corps".

Now Dave claims I never said those words.

Jeez, he should remember what you told him. Its not like it was 25 years ago. It was only 9 years ago this month you said those words to him.