2014 Predictions!

Oh, so now it's too much west coast blood in the judging community? I don't know...maybe it's me...but I think SCV and Blue Devils are just that good, CONSISTENTLY! Don't always like their programing choices but can anybody argue with their consistency? Unless I am mistaken, Blue Devils haven't been out of the top 5 in 37 years! Santa Clara, much the same. So I guess there was too much west coast blood in the judging pool back then too?

Really?

Dan

Consistency ? When it comes to consistency, DCI World Class Drum Corps is chock full with what we'd call consistency. Pretty much from top to bottom in the Division. So yes, both these 2 Corps fit the bill re. consistency. Blue Devils for the last dozen or so years ( heck, back to the 70's ) are always in the top 1-4 fighting for the Title, with SCV now these days always somewhere consistently between 3rd and 8th, always a few placement positions below the BD ,the last dozen or so years with their consistent placements. Its hard not to accept the undeniable fact that while there is " change " within DCI Drum Corps of all sorts taking place, as far as placements are concerned, DCI Drum Corps these days is fully baked in when it comes to good ol' fashioned traditional consistency.

Edited by BRASSO

Consistency ? When it comes to consistency, DCI World Class Drum Corps is chock full with what we'd call consistency. Pretty much from top to bottom in the Division. So yes, both these 2 Corps fit the bill re. consistency. Blue Devils for the last dozen or so years ( heck, back to the 70's ) are always in the top 1-4 fighting for the Title, with SCV now these days always somewhere consistently between 3rd and 8th, always a few placement positions below the BD ,the last dozen or so years with their consistent placements. Its hard not to accept the undeniable fact that while there is " change " within DCI Drum Corps of all sorts taking place, as far as placements are concerned, DCI Drum Corps these days is fully baked in when it comes to good ol' fashioned traditional consistency.

It would be great if occasionally a lower corps nipped the title. Then again, in 2013 a first timer won. But it's rare.

But look at it this way. In Formula 1 the same teams win every year. McLaren won 7 out of 8 years in a row in the 80s, Ferrari won 5 years in a row (with the same driver), and Red Bull have now won 4 in a row and show no signs of letting up. And it's one of the most popular sports in the world.

Maybe dominance is exciting, though we hate to admit it.

I'm not going to make any predictions yet. However, I don't believe Cavies will finish below 5th. With the new brass staff and having excellent audition camps, I think are going to be very much improved. My biggest concern is not the brass for 2014, but the visual. The design was good, but the execution was not. I think SCV marched more like Cavaliers, than the Cavaliers did. If they get the visual better, I think they will be a big surprise.

Just pointing this out there, the Colts staff changes since last season, I believe, will be too effective to not produce improvement as a corps in skill, and placement! The brass changes are going to be effective, seeing that much of the brass staff is returning from the mid 2000's run (including their 2007 placement in finals). The talent and ambition is there, I think we will be seeing a lot from the Colts this year and it will be a fight for the bottom rankings in the the top 12!

****I am a fan of the Red Team, so I may be biased, but the facts add up and all of these low placements in Semi's are just to ridiculous and far fetched.****

Anyways, here is my overall predictions

1-3: BD/CC/SCV (The top 3 will be a fight for the top, it's all up in the air, anything can happen.

4-6: Bloo/Cadets/PR (Bloo is seeking a spot in the top 3, Cadets are also in the same bet as Bloo. Phantom is sticking around their typical placement.)

7-9: Cavies/MS/BC (Tough running for the 'manly corps' wouldn't be surprised to see them in the top 6 though, Boston will stick around their typical placement.)

10-12: Spirit/BK/BS/Colts/Troop (Finals placement this year will be rigorous, if the bottom three of last season can't keep up then everyone should be expecting the Colts and Troopers in Finals, Crossmen will likely place 13-14 due to major staff changes.)

These are only predictions, I hope to see some of you marching out there this summer, im likely marching with Red Team '14!

I'd say SCV or Cadets.

• Like 1

If they get the visual better, I think they will be a big surprise.

My 2013 award for most improved was the Cavaliers. Saw them in Lexington, KY, in June, and it was 10,000% better at Finals in August.

• Like 1

I predict that my son marching with The Cavaliers and my daughter marching with SCV are going to have life changing summers.

I like your prediction. The odds are definately in your favor, imo ( haha! )

• Like 1

My 2013 award for most improved was the Cavaliers. Saw them in Lexington, KY, in June, and it was 10,000% better at Finals in August.

My vote goes to the Boston Crusaders for the most improved Corps during the course of the 2013 summer season. They finished 6th out of 6 Corps on June 22nd ( behind Spirit, and more than a couple of points behind Cavaliers ) and were ranked 14th the first week on DCP Rankings. They trailed Cavs, Madison, BK, for much of the season. But they wound up 8th, just a mere tenth behind the Cavaliers at Finals for 7th. They really came on strong to finish their season well and breaking into the 90's.

As for the most improved Corps year over end ( 2013 from 2012 ), that honor seems to go to The Troopers, imo. In an age when its difficult to move up more than 2 placement positions from one year to the next, The Troopers went from 18th in 2013 to 13th in 2012, and came within less than 2 tenths of shocking the Blue Stars in the Semi's and edging them for that coveted Finalist spot. Their Semi's performance was " on ", and almost became the shocker of Championship week, imo.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 6

1. SANTA CLARA VANGUARD (winning Percussion and Visual)

2. CAROLINA CROWN (winning Brass and GE)

3. BLUE DEVILS (winning Guard)

4. PHANTOM REGIMENT (who can go wrong with SWAN LAKE)
5. CADETS (the EVEN year number curse)

6. MADISON SCOUTS (Crowd favorite gets a boost)

7. BLUECOATS (They get jipped)

8. CAVALIERS (still very presentable)

9. BOSTON CRUSADERS

10. *(surprise of the summer)

11. TROOPERS (on the way back up)

12. SPIRIT OF ATLANTA (JW Koester)