2014 Predictions!

Totally disagree about Spirit being out of ideas. Having been to the past few camps I can tell you for certain Spirit will surprise a lot of folks. I put then anywhere from 8-10

I would put Blue Stars battling for the same range. People thinking they will fall to 14th are smoking crack.

I like Crossmen back in finals!!!

I long for the days where Crossmen are knocking on the doors of top 6. Hopefully a return to finals this year!

James Beatty

Crossmen 1996, 1998

I would put Blue Stars battling for the same range. People thinking they will fall to 14th are smoking crack.

I've been thinking the same thing. Instead if falling further last year they fought their way back into finals. They're retaining the staff they got, show sounds awesome, I think they're fine. And I think Spirit will be right there too. They got freakin JW Koester. We know what he did to Vanguard starting in 1996. The show sounds beautiful and I don't even know the music yet.

Edited by DrumManTx

My predictions for 2014 are as follows.

1. Santa Clara Vanguard

2. Carolina Crown

3. Blue Devils

4. Bluecoats

5 The CADETS

6. Phantom Regiment

7. Madison Scouts

8. Cavaliers

9. Boston Crusaders

10. Blue Knights

If these are the final standings no one will be more surprized than me !!! WE'LL SEE !!!

• Like 2

I am not a die hard Blue Stars fan, but before anyone dismisses them, keep in mind that in 2012, Blue Stars had a bad semi's performance in comparison to a very powerful performance by Crossmen. Most people did not quite expect the upset after prelims (though I did, you can check past posts if you really care). It was a tough break for Blue Stars, and while 13th is out of finals, it was not a major fall from grace. Last year Troopers almost eclipsed Blue Stars in a rather close race as well. So while I would not write Blue Stars off, I also would not place them much higher than 11th.

Edited by Tim K

Last year Troopers almost eclipsed Blue Stars in a rather close race as well. So while I would not write Blue Stars off, I also would not place them much higher than 11th.
Totally disagree about Spirit being out of ideas. Having been to the past few camps I can tell you for certain Spirit will surprise a lot of folks. I put then anywhere from 8-10
I really think Pacific Crest is going to do well this year. Top 15 for sure.
I like Crossmen back in finals!!!
Troopers (Doesn't take the show of their lives to earn a Finalists spot next year; with more solid brass and visual, Troopers earn a comfortable 12th place.)

10. Troopers

11. Blue Knights--last year I predicted a major fall from grace for BK, based largely on DCP speculation, but not only was I wrong, I actually enjoyed their show.

As for the coveted open space: could be Crossmen, Blue Stars, or Spirit.

11. Troopers. Building on last year and deserve to be in this time, allowing them a better chance to stay in

12. Crossmen. Show design matures over last year

13. Blue Stars. Great percussion, rest of corps just not quite up to it

14. Colts. Also building on last year

15. Spirit. Too many staff changes and very young corps

10-12 Blue Knights, Crossmen, Blue Stars

13-15 Spirit, Troopers, Colts,

Etc., etc., etc.

Nitpick all you want about the 0.2 that will separate Crown and BD. Go ahead and agonize for days over whether Cavies can get back to 6th. Burn up the boards with your arguments why Cadets can't beat Bloo. Sharpen your knives to make the case for SCV. I'm telling ya', the real fun is going to be down the board. It's going to get bloody between 11 and 15, maybe 10 and 15. You'll see more back-and-forth; more inexplicable show-to-show jumps and drops; more inconsistency among caption judges; more hair being pulled out and some of the most intense critique-time lobbying you've ever seen, in this group of corps. The plain fact is finals no longer is big enough to hold finals-quality shows, and there are going to be 6 or 7 corps with a legitimate case to make for the 2 or 3 finals slots available to them. The stakes here are higher than anywhere else on the board. First or second? It's all good. 12th or 13th? Different ballgame, baby.

This is where the action is this year. The story in drum corps is that the floor is rising.

And if this keeps up, in a couple years, spots 7-11 won't be safe, either.

• Like 4

Well, seeing as only corps that have done west coast tours have won DCI championships since at least 2007, I'm gonna bet either Vanguard or BD. It'll likely be BD, but I know that Vanguard has been building up a really strong corps since all of their staff changes in 2011 and 2012. Can't wait to see it.

1. Blue Devile-Really digging the show concept1

2. Crown- As much as I love CC, it would be better for the activity if they do not win again. Everyone pulls for CC to win, until they do it every year. Then the haters come rushing in.

3. Santa Clara Vanguard- I don't see why this couldnt happen. But a BD/CC 1/2 not happening, is not a possiblity if you ask me.

4. Bluecoats-Show=YES

5. Cadets- Nothing to get too excited about if you ask me.

6. Phantom- Just getting a wee bit tired of the female only plots.

7. Crusaders- Very interesting show concept

8. Cavaliers- It will be a while before they can prove to me that they are back at elite status.

9. Blue Knights- Could easily eclips Cavaliers.

10. Scouts- Back 6 should be another tough battle.

11. Blue Stars- I don't have any reason to believe they shouldn't be in finals.

12. SOA- They sound good so far.

13. Troopers- I haven't heard anything to get excited about. Especially with reports that they are still hazing. Very dissapointing.

• Like 2

Wow. Personally I see them in 15th. Guess I must be smoking the drug that killed my best friend.

Just getting a wee bit tired of the female-only plots.

Maybe they should take the Love! Valor! Compassion! treatment of Swan Lake as a model?