2014 Predictions!

Seriously?

I needed a post like this today. Thanks for the laughs!

I got quite a kick out of Mr. BoyWonder1911's rankings too. Cadets in 2nd for another rehash/unoriginal show? (Just to clarify, I have no issues with a corps doing a show that has been done before. The person making the rankings however, seems to, but curiously had the impulse of not extending his rage towards the Cadets). Cadets 2013 = boring? Were we listening to the same show? No it did not have a storyline, but the musical arrangement was one of the most phenomenal arrangements I've heard. Phantom in 9th.... Phantom is doing what they do best. Even with Phantom's percussion CRASHING in semis and finals in 2013, they managed to stay in 6th.

Corps have identities and there is nothing wrong with embracing that identity. Phantom did Juliet in 2011 and then Turandot in 2012. I believe they received a bronze medal in 2012.

Do you honestly think a judge is going to be like "Wow, you know, they had a princess sorta thing going on last year too. I think I'm going to completely disregard the performance of the members on the field and give them a 10th place in music. Sucks to suck!"

• Like 1

My favorite part is the the Scouts doing Don Ellis and Stan Kenton is like what they've been doing the last bunch of years, Cadets being boring last year as well, and Crown doing a show about outerspace and it's somehow a sequel.

• Like 1

1) Blue Devils are going to win this year by a landslide Possibly by 1.5 pts.

I just hope that their show will be enjoyable. I have heard that the visual drill will be a little more accessible than the last few years. I hope so.

2) Cadets got 3rd last year with a boring, hard to understand abstract show, with no emotion. This year, their show will have emotion. And they will win drums.

Silver medal for The Cadets.

3) Bluecoats - it's about time they go back to something like 2010, with a powerful, in your face show.

4) Crown. Sequels don't work in DCI very well, except for 1989.

5) SCV. Traditional worked well for them last year, but this year there will be less emotion. I can't see this show medaling.

6) Cavaliers. A show back to their roots, they've hit rock bottom and they are going to climb back into elite status starting this year.

7) Blue Knights - new uniforms, drum looks, emotional theme, The staff here has been really trying hard to find that one moment in a show that makes people say "wow, this corps has it going on". This show will be dynamic and powerful, and they will deserve every bit of the 7th place they get.

8-10 BCrusaders. Sorry, I just don't think Animal Farm is going to work out in a marching music medium. This music and drill won't work well. They could even end up in 9th.

Phantom. They're doing another ballet-opera-storybook type thing, and it's getting old now. It's not going to work this time around.

Spirit. Going back to roots, this show is going to melt your face off, and it will probably be a crowd favorite. They're going to have it going on, and they could even pass up Boston and/or Phantom.

11) Blue Stars. They are bringing some minimalism, positive feelings, and raw emotion back into their program. It's going to work, and it's going to propel them into the future.

12) Scouts. Same show, same music, 5 years running. They are going to get punished for not doing something new, and will get jumped.

Blue Devils by a landslide? Who wins by a landslide these days? How'd you hear about their drill?

Crown is doing a sequal? Of what? My guess is they improve drums and hold on brass and drill but miss winning in a tight 3 corps race with SCV and BD

Cavies hit "rock bottom"? Missing top 12 would be for them, rock bottom. They have not hit rock bottom. Tough time maybe from a design standpoint.

Blue Knights looking for one moment would actually need 2 or three to get the real wow.

Boston; although you haven't heard what the actual music is you've assumed it won't translate. And the music and drill won't work well. What is the music and drill? Have you seen or heard any of it? They could end up in 9th?...they could end up in 6th.

Blue Stars minimalism. I am not sure minimalism works well these days.The more complete & well constructed a show is the more successful it has been.

I guess though these predictions are totally speculative. Like most on DCP are with no real basis. Some of these though just seem whacky. Track these and at the end of the year report on how well you did. I would love to see it. Enjoy the season.

• Like 5

Hmm may as well give this a shot! This is my prediction/wish list(more so a wish list)!

1. Carolina Crown- Crown is going to go full force this year, and building off of last years success, their percussion scores will be able to hold up with the other corps.

2. Blue Devils- This "crowd-friendly" show will benefit from the general effect caption change, but their brass will once again not be able to best Crown.

3. Santa Clara Vanguard- They are going to successfully medal with this amazing show, percussion may even place 1st.

4. Bluecoats- Their ballad is going to be one for the ages, the show will be very crowd friendly and they will benefit from it.

5. The Cadets- Their show will try to captivate the audience with dated presidential speeches that we've all heard before, but it won't impress the crowd or the judges.

6. Boston Crusaders- Animal Farm is an awesome concept and the judges will approve, not sure about the crowd though.

7. The Cavaliers- They will have a very in your face show that is completely different from what we've seen from them the past few years.

8. Madison Scouts- Another crowd pleasing show that will get the audience's and judge's attention.

9. Phantom Regiment- I feel this show just won't click like their past shows have.

10. Spirit of Atlanta- Magnolia will propel Spirit to the top 10. A very powerful, in your face, crowd pleasing show.

11. Blue Knights- Like Phantom's show, I feel this one won't click as much with the judges as much as it does with the crowd.

12(tied at semis with Troopers). Blue Stars- This show is going barely make Finals, they will be 13th at pre-lims but have enough steam to tie the Troopers at semis.

13. Troopers- Their crowd pleasing show will pay off when they tie the Blue Stars at semis. Unfortunately, the Blue Stars will barely best them at Finals.

A lot of people probably won't appreciate Phantom's and Blue Knights' low placement, but as I said in the beginning, this is more of a wishlist than a prediction. Also I know I used the words "crowd pleasing" a lot, I just believe corps are going to make most of these shows audience friendly.

Edited by Luke4496
  • Like 1

Blue Devils by a landslide? Who wins by a landslide these days? How'd you hear about their drill?

Crown is doing a sequal? Of what? My guess is they improve drums and hold on brass and drill but miss winning in a tight 3 corps race with SCV and BD

Cavies hit "rock bottom"? Missing top 12 would be for them, rock bottom. They have not hit rock bottom. Tough time maybe from a design standpoint.

Blue Knights looking for one moment would actually need 2 or three to get the real wow.

Boston; although you haven't heard what the actual music is you've assumed it won't translate. And the music and drill won't work well. What is the music and drill? Have you seen or heard any of it? They could end up in 9th?...they could end up in 6th.

Blue Stars minimalism. I am not sure minimalism works well these days.The more complete & well constructed a show is the more successful it has been.

I guess though these predictions are totally speculative. Like most on DCP are with no real basis. Some of these though just seem whacky. Track these and at the end of the year report on how well you did. I would love to see it. Enjoy the season.

LOL

Of course my predictions are merely speculation. Aren't everybody's? And they are based mostly on their themes and what I make of it.

I did find Cadets show last year boring, although I did like it. It was boring, but in a good way - what im trying to say is that they can take 3rd with a relatively unemotional show - and with a show with emotion, this year, being very clean at the end, they could take 2nd.

And Crown, yes it is a sequel. E=mc2 has to do with the speed of light, space-time, etc, "out of the world" = space. So both shows are relatively similar in theme.

Sorry, Crown got their win last year, which I was extremely happy about, but this year I don't see it happening.

Blue Devils are going to whoop some butt. I just hope I actually enjoy this year's program. I have not enjoyed a Blue Devils show since 2003. So I'm not getting my hopes up, but this Felliniesque show (I Googled Fellini, and also read about the show on BD website) looks like it might be something incredible. I never doubt their show designers, they know what they're doing.

I have no idea what kind of music Boston is going to use with Animal Farm. Will they start with Old MacDonald? Will they have a horse that gets carted off the field in an ambulance, then sent to the glue factory? Will somebody run around in a giant pig suit, playing the role of Napoleon? How many animal suits are going to be used??? Are they going to get a point knocked off for throwing hay all over the field, similar to last year's baby powder?

The book was great. I think everyone should read it. However, I have to remain extremely skeptical about how well it can work out in a marching music medium.

Now, if they wanted to stick to the same type of dystopia theme, perhaps 1984 may have been a better choice? In any case, I'm anxious to see what they come up with. I hope it blows my socks off.

And about the Scouts in 12th, well lets just say I hope they don't even make finals, but if they didn't, I'd kinda feel sorry for them, so I put them 12th.

Being macho, playing loud, and with emotion only gets you so far. Lets see them do something that's actually difficult.

Anyways, opinions are opinions, right?

Edited by BoyWonder1911
  • Like 2

about the Scouts in 12th, well lets just say I hope they don't even make finals, but if they didn't, I'd kinda feel sorry for them, so I put them 12th.

Being macho, playing loud, and with emotion only gets you so far. Lets see them do something that's actually difficult.

Absolutely.

LOL

Of course my predictions are merely speculation. Aren't everybody's? And they are based mostly on their themes and what I make of it.

I did find Cadets show last year boring, although I did like it. It was boring, but in a good way - what im trying to say is that they can take 3rd with a relatively unemotional show - and with a show with emotion, this year, being very clean at the end, they could take 2nd.

And Crown, yes it is a sequel. E=mc2 has to do with the speed of light, space-time, etc, "out of the world" = space. So both shows are relatively similar in theme.

Sorry, Crown got their win last year, which I was extremely happy about, but this year I don't see it happening.

Blue Devils are going to whoop some butt. I just hope I actually enjoy this year's program. I have not enjoyed a Blue Devils show since 2003. So I'm not getting my hopes up, but this Felliniesque show (I Googled Fellini, and also read about the show on BD website) looks like it might be something incredible. I never doubt their show designers, they know what they're doing.

I have no idea what kind of music Boston is going to use with Animal Farm. Will they start with Old MacDonald? Will they have a horse that gets carted off the field in an ambulance, then sent to the glue factory? Will somebody run around in a giant pig suit, playing the role of Napoleon? How many animal suits are going to be used??? Are they going to get a point knocked off for throwing hay all over the field, similar to last year's baby powder?

The book was great. I think everyone should read it. However, I have to remain extremely skeptical about how well it can work out in a marching music medium.

Now, if they wanted to stick to the same type of dystopia theme, perhaps 1984 may have been a better choice? In any case, I'm anxious to see what they come up with. I hope it blows my socks off.

And about the Scouts in 12th, well lets just say I hope they don't even make finals, but if they didn't, I'd kinda feel sorry for them, so I put them 12th.

Scouts only play loud, are macho, and have emotion? SERIOUSLY???

Where did you get your music and visual education?

• Like 3

This activity is full of tough competition. This year in particular there are a number of corps that have the potential to do better than they have in the past. If they do, they will push other corps down. If it could all be perfect, everyone would get to perform at finals.

With that in mind, I've been on this board for over 10 years now and I have seen a lot of lame comments, but the one above regarding the Scouts is one of the lamest. "I hope they don't even make finals" goes against all the hard work that these young people put into their summer and it's not because you mentioned the Scouts that I'm saying this - to wish for any corps to not do well is lame.

• Like 5