2014 Predictions!

Is anyone going to dare predict that there will be anything marching on the field other than a person holding either a brass, bell-front instrument, a flag, or a drum/cymbal?

:spitting:

2014 Predictions Wishlist:

1. Phantom - Despite doing similar show year after year, they will really hit home with Swan Lake, and Tchaikovsky is right up their alley. Plus their use of drones to adjust drill will drastically help their visual.

2. Crown - Their brass will carry them through again, but drums will hold them back from a repeat.

3. Blue Devils - Their show will be accessible to audiences, but will lack the necessary tools to help them win, similar to 2011. A surprise crowd favorite, however.

4. Santa Clara - Pulling in Scheherezade will help them do well this year. It fits them, and they will run with it.

5. Cadets - If you've seen their prop at the front of the field, this will hurt them a lot. Great percussion will keep them from falling further.

6. Bluecoats - Their show will be complex, and difficult to understand. While the overall concept will be a little blurred, they will play really well, and still compete with Cadets throughout the season, even beating Santa Clara once or twice. Ultimately, their theme will hold them back.

7. Boston Crusaders - A new take on an old story, and Boston will do it well.

8. Madison Scouts - Their drum book will be ridiculous, and Stan Kenton and Don Ellis fits well with them.

9. Cavaliers - They and Madison will be duking it out all season for these two spots. 1-7 will be a point or two above them, and 10-12 will be a point or two below them.

10. Blue Stars - I really dig their choice of music, and I'm excited to see how they fit that all in to their theme.

11. Troopers - Obviously this is biased, but I really trust the hall of fame staff and design team they have, and I really think they're going in the right direction with the group.

12. Spirit of Atlanta - I'm really excited about their "southern jazz" vibe, and I think they're going to have an entertaining show.

13. Blue Knights - I think their uniforms are going to do more harm than good. The white bottoms are going to dirty up a lot of the visual, and they will have to put more focus on that, losing other areas in the process.

14. Academy

15. Crossmen

16. Colts

17. Pacific Crest

18. Oregon Crusaders

19. Jersey Surf

20. Mandarins

21. Cascades

22. Pioneer

I only included World Class corps, as I only wanted to include groups I've read about. I can see some of the top open class corps beating some of the bottom 3, but I don't really have any idea. As such, I know very little about the groups I didn't write anything for other than placement.

Edited by acolli17

2014 Predictions Wishlist:

1. Phantom - Despite doing similar show year after year, they will really hit home with Swan Lake, and Tchaikovsky is right up their alley. Plus their use of drones to adjust drill will drastically help their visual.

2. Crown - Their brass will carry them through again, but drums will hold them back from a repeat.

3. Blue Devils - Their show will be accessible to audiences, but will lack the necessary tools to help them win, similar to 2011. A surprise crowd favorite, however.

4. Santa Clara - Pulling in Scheherezade will help them do well this year. It fits them, and they will run with it.

5. Cadets - If you've seen their prop at the front of the field, this will hurt them a lot. Great percussion will keep them from falling further.

6. Bluecoats - Their show will be complex, and difficult to understand. While the overall concept will be a little blurred, they will play really well, and still compete with Cadets throughout the season, even beating Santa Clara once or twice. Ultimately, their theme will hold them back.

7. Boston Crusaders - A new take on an old story, and Boston will do it well.

8. Madison Scouts - Their drum book will be ridiculous, and Stan Kenton and Don Ellis fits well with them.

9. Cavaliers - They and Madison will be duking it out all season for these two spots. 1-7 will be a point or two above them, and 10-12 will be a point or two below them.

10. Blue Stars - I really dig their choice of music, and I'm excited to see how they fit that all in to their theme.

11. Troopers - Obviously this is biased, but I really trust the hall of fame staff and design team they have, and I really think they're going in the right direction with the group.

12. Spirit of Atlanta - I'm really excited about their "southern jazz" vibe, and I think they're going to have an entertaining show.

13. Blue Knights - I think their uniforms are going to do more harm than good. The white bottoms are going to dirty up a lot of the visual, and they will have to put more focus on that, losing other areas in the process.

14. Academy

15. Crossmen

16. Colts

17. Pacific Crest

18. Oregon Crusaders

19. Jersey Surf

20. Mandarins

21. Cascades

22. Pioneer

I only included World Class corps, as I only wanted to include groups I've read about. I can see some of the top open class corps beating some of the bottom 3, but I don't really have any idea. As such, I know very little about the groups I didn't write anything for other than placement.

Switch the Bluecoats with SCV and you have my support 100%

• Like 1

Based purely on "how the show feels" to me, i'll give it a go. Usually, I find, you can identify a "championship show" rather early in the season. Or at least "this show does NOT feel like a championship show". For example Cadets' Between Angels and Demons felt like a championship show, while Cavaliers XtraordinarY (while entertaining) did not have the same feel to it.

For this reason my top 4.

Crown, they got over the hump and their show seems spectacular. not something every show has.

SCV, i love the music, but I don't know if it is "the show" that they need to get back to #1. Beside that, this is probably the best corps they have had in a while.

BD, BD is always top 3. I know they usually bounce back, but their show seems silly to me.

Phantom, Rather inconsistent as of late, but one of the shows I am most excited for. If they can get it together I think this is a championship show. (obviously i don't think they will quite get there)

Beyond that, i don't know. Bluecoats look solid but not quite top. I am not that excited for the Cadets this year, and its an even year so that means no top 3 (haha). I am really excited for Boston as it has nice to see them grow after so many new folks in 2012, and i think they could get 5 if bloo and cadets stumble. Cavaliers have got to rise eventually, i think. 13 years in the top 4 and then 2 years in 8th and 7th. While I don't think they will jump back into it, I do think this show is far better than their last two.

After that, I don't have confidence that Madison will be able to pull off this show, which will no doubt be entertaining. This will once again keep them from challenging the top 8.

Blue Knights might drop out of the top 10 and be in the race for 11 and 12, especially if the show is weak. Recently they've been doing "cute" shows, this one does not seem very different. As a fan of BK I am indeed worried that their show will not be up to par with the rest in that tier, or if it is they are not strong enough.

I know pretty much nothing on Spirit.

I want the colts to break top 12 SO BADLY, please, i want to see you at finals.

I am not all that excited for the Blue Stars show.

Crossmen intrigue me and would be nice if they are able to come back to finals.

Academy, troopers, OC and the rest I don't think will be in the final race for finals. I don't think the academy are able to get over the hump yet, OC is still new but will be pushing up there soon, and i don't think the troopers show is up to par with some of the rest.

Just my thoughts.

Something will happen at the 1st SoCal show that will shock everyone.

Something will happen at the 1st SoCal show that will shock everyone.

Crossmen going to surprise us, ya think ? That'd be great to see, imo if thats what you are alluding too.

Oh why not. It's all in fun at this point...

1. Blue Devils - good blend of accessibility and avante garde this year?

2. Carolina Crown - Hard to see them slipping far until or if their horn line takes a step back

3. Phantom Regiment - Strongest show since 2008

4. Santa Clara Vanguard - I wasn't thrilled with revisiting a theme from their wildly successful 2004 show, but with Rennick & Shaw, it could equal or surpass last year's Les Miz masterpiece

5. Cadets - I just can't get a good read on this show - could be all wrong here

6. Cavaliers - steady progress continues

7. Bluecoats - aggressive show, may be better than 2013, but not in placement

8. Madison Scouts - I guess I'm in the minority, but I think this is a formula & staff that will make progress

9. Blue Knights - seems like every year many people predict slippage - not me. Might surprise above this placement

10. Boston Crusaders - Good wild card - can they pull off this show? Last year left me really flat except the last 90 seconds

11. Blue Stars - making progress

12. Crossmen - Back in - hoping their arrangements are to chopped to death or snippet-oriented this year

13. Spirit - very tough to leave them out - could be as high as 10th

14. Troopers - I could see this group surging to 12th or slipping to 16th.

15. Academy - I sense a good bounce back coming

16. Colts - Toss Up with Academy

17. Pacific Crest - edging closer to top end of non-Finalists Semi Finalists each year, even if this placement doesnt reflect that

18. Oregon Crusaders - This might be low. Could be ready to make a step up

19. Mandarins - Loved their program & growth last year - can they sustain that momentum?

20. Surf - Hoping for the smash entertainment from 2 years ago

Harvey

Is anyone going to dare predict that there will be anything marching on the field other than a person holding either a brass, bell-front instrument, a flag, or a drum/cymbal?

:spitting:

Add a clipboard to this.