2014 Predictions!

Just a slight deviation, we can like or love shows but I think we should soon be able to see consistent trends in captions and that will make it easier for us to rank one corps over another eliminating the personal bias we all have.

Agreed.

My one prediction based on what I see so far... I think that there will be a larger than average number head-scratching fans at the end. Remember Madison Scouts in the mid 90's?...

Bluecoats in 2014.

I hope I'm wrong... but I can see it coming.

• Like 1

regarding Coats & "head scratching" - it will depend. I saw them live vs. Cadets last night. I prefered the Bluecoats show but there was a fairly obvious gap in content and achievement so the Cadets win was expected and pretty clear cut. That can change of course.

George,

I like the Coats show also and I think it has a good shot at medaling. Two concerns, the overall visual show certainly is fun but there needs to be some depth added.

Ramps can limit their field coverage and I would like to see some more large "drill tilt" moment (aka Cavaliers "bend but not snap" drill move in Machine). Secondly,

althought it may change, they may have a guard that is going to drag down their visual caption (ala Cadets 2013). So, yes and entertaining show with a real cool effect at the end, but has a few more "concerns" to me than Cadets. I will see them both live tonight and review tomorrow. Perhaps we are discussing two corps that may wind up medaling...

Edited by theCHEZman
  • Like 1

George,

I like the Coats show also and I think it has a good shot at medaling. Two concerns, the overall visual show certainly is fun but there needs to be some depth added.

Ramps can limit their field coverage and I would like to see some more large "drill tilt" moment (aka Cavaliers "bend but not snap" drill move in Machine). Secondly,

althought it may change, they may have a guard that is going to drag down their visual caption (ala Cadets 2013). So, yes and entertaining show with a real cool effect at the end, but has a few more "concerns" to me than Cadets. I will see them both live tonight and review tomorrow. Perhaps we are discussing two corps that may wind up medaling...

Well, after seeing both Cadets and Coats live, I may revise the above slightly. I do think Cadets have more content overall and their performance level is very high now which indicates it will be pristine clean in August so I still put them in the lead BUT, Coats were very impressive and their guard was very good last night so not sure this caption will be a drag. Overall these two corps are very strong and entertaining in their own way.

As a complete layperson when it comes to music, I can see what you're saying. In my business, news, the saying goes that "content drives design." I can see that idea at work in this show. I can see the design serving the music, and that makes the show feel organic, whole, natural. I wonder, though: Is a "music-forward" show "forward-thinking," or is it actually a classic idea rediscovered by Bluecoats and put on display in a thoroughly modern package?

Seems a lot like a 2000s Cavalier type show to me. One major design point hammered over and over again musically and visually in a bunch of cool and fun ways. I don't really see anything new with it, though I do enjoy it and am rather fond of that programming style. Seems way more interesting and believable than trying to tell me a story via band.

1. Blue Devils

2. Cadets

3. Bluecoats

4. Crown

5. Cavaliers

6. SCV

7. Phantom

8. Boston Crusaders

9. Madison Scouts

10. Blue Stars

11. Blue Knights

12. Troopers/SOA

• Like 1

Bd

Crown

Bluecoats

Cadets

Vanguard

Cavaliers

Phantom

Madison

blue stars

Boston

Blue knights

Troopers

• Like 1

The gap really closed tightly between Spirit and Boston in the past few days to less than two points last night in Lawrence MA. Not sure if this will hold past July, or even past this show for that matter. But if it does we can safely add Boston to the Troopers, SOA, Crossmen, Blue Stars, Blue Knights mix for a very tight competition for 9-14 this year. I can't wait to see what the first regional brings.

After seeing the Oregon Crusaders Preview last weekend, I give them a chance to be in the top 15. The only reason they may not make that is due to starting later then most everyone else. Musically, they are much improved over last year. Visual will be the challenge as they are not clean. But, that being said, I think the show is very entertaining and not at all like last years show. There is a lot more content overall which although they are not acheiving yet, they will clean it up and will definately be the best Oregon Crusaders corps to come out of the NW.

One can hope that they keep on getting visually cleaner and develop the 2nd half of the show as they go on tour this week. First judged competition is this Thursday at their home show.

Good Luck OC, work hard and prosper.

• Like 2