The staff merrigoround

Scott Boerma is top notch for any corps.

He did arrange for Madison Scouts from 1989 - 2006 and has a bunch of University Directing, Conducting, and Arranging Experience. Certainly a spectacular resume in my book!

Especially now that he's stepped down as the director of the University of Michigan band, he has a lot more time on his hands. Also, GO BLUE

He did so many amazing shows for Madison during the 90s, City of Angels being a personal favorite of mine, along with Jesus Christ Superstar

I agree with your "never met a JD Shaw book I didn't like" (until 2012). As for Don Hill, I thought 2012 was outstanding, but 2013 was beyond bland. I liked 2012 from the Concert in the Park clip early season, and it kept getting better throughout the season as tweaks came. I thought 2013 was pretty stale early, and it got worse as the season wore on. I think it could be due to musical selections this year and how they were being used in the story. But maybe his style is best suited for the BOA world - he's Broken Arrow's arranger.

The old adage about firing the football coach: "who are you going to get that's any better?"

The additions made it less musical and more effect-centric. Both failed. The pieces didn't flow together, but neither did the show itself.

On a more serious note, I'll throw Gordon Henderson's name out for consideration.

Interesting, is he on the market? Loved his stuff at SCV.

And speaking of SCV... an unpopular choice on this board (I think due to his overexposure in less-competitive corps) but whose arrangements I generally liked: Key Poulan. 2004 was tremendous, and 2007 was beautiful. I'd argue his downfall was program choices, not his arrangements. And he seems to have a personality that would work well with anyone, especially difficulty folks at Phantom Regiment.

• Like 2

The GE judges are supposed to evaluate the communication effectiveness of the particular show presented to them on the field irrespective of content and not overly reward depth and complexity over simplicity and raw emotion. This means, by definition, a straight forward show performed 'extremely' well should have the ability to win GE over a complex, deep, progressive show performed 'very' well. Therein is not only the fallacy within DCI judging today, but also one of the problems.

This is absolutely, categorically not the case. Fully one-half of the GE Caption scores come from the repertory that the corps present. Additionally, the performance subcaption is directly influenced by the composition/design and the skills it allows the performers to demonstrate. You cannot separate the emotional, intellectual, and aesthetic appeal of a show from it's component material.

• Like 2

This is absolutely, categorically not the case. Fully one-half of the GE Caption scores come from the repertory that the corps present. Additionally, the performance subcaption is directly influenced by the composition/design and the skills it allows the performers to demonstrate. You cannot separate the emotional, intellectual, and aesthetic appeal of a show from it's component material.

And the expert comes to the rescue. If anyone knows what he/she is talking about, it's this guy.

And the expert comes to the rescue. If anyone knows what he/she is talking about, it's this guy.

Wow! That's awfully kind . . .

• Like 1