The staff merrigoround

Interesting, is he on the market? Loved his stuff at SCV.

And speaking of SCV... an unpopular choice on this board (I think due to his overexposure in less-competitive corps) but whose arrangements I generally liked: Key Poulan. 2004 was tremendous, and 2007 was beautiful. I'd argue his downfall was program choices, not his arrangements. And he seems to have a personality that would work well with anyone, especially difficulty folks at Phantom Regiment.

Yes! I don't care what anyone on this board thinks, Key Poulan has always been one of my favorites. 2003-2005 (when Key was program coordinator) and 2007 were all great. As for the rest, I'm with you on blaming bad program choices.

• Like 1

Yes! I don't care what anyone on this board thinks, Key Poulan has always been one of my favorites. 2003-2005 (when Key was program coordinator) and 2007 were all great. As for the rest, I'm with you on blaming bad program choices.

2006 was a really cool book with the all-original music. And people seem to forget he was still around for the 2009 show. Programming choices in 2010 were a problem, and in 2011 he was occupied with family issues I believe, so the brass staff ended up re-writing most of the brass book as the season went along.

2006 was a really cool book with the all-original music. And people seem to forget he was still around for the 2009 show. Programming choices in 2010 were a problem, and in 2011 he was occupied with family issues I believe, so the brass staff ended up re-writing most of the brass book as the season went along.

I did like 2006, but most people didn't for some reason.

Personally, I didn't like the 2009 arrangement. It was very true to the original and very well done, but I just didn't enjoy it.

Especially now that he's stepped down as the director of the University of Michigan band, he has a lot more time on his hands. Also, GO BLUE

I'm fairly certain that, since he now has a director of bands position where he is responsible for budgets, graduate students, and overseeing the direction of an entire program, he'll have significantly less time on his hands.

This is absolutely, categorically not the case. Fully one-half of the GE Caption scores come from the repertory that the corps present. Additionally, the performance subcaption is directly influenced by the composition/design and the skills it allows the performers to demonstrate. You cannot separate the emotional, intellectual, and aesthetic appeal of a show from it's component material.

And if what you are stating is correct this means that, (if each corp performed equally well in all ways), BD The re:Rite of Spring should always score higher in GE over SCV Les Miserables because the depth of complexity within the intellectual aspects of the BD show are rewarded greater than the Broadway show entertainment communication aspects of the SCV show. That, if true, is a real major problem within DCI and why more and more people are getting disinterested in these esoteric show designs.

• Like 2

And if what you are stating is correct this means that, (if each corp performed equally well in all ways), BD The re:Rite of Spring should always score higher in GE over SCV Les Miserables because the depth of complexity within the intellectual aspects of the BD show are rewarded greater than the Broadway show entertainment communication aspects of the SCV show. That, if true, is a real major problem within DCI and why more and more people are getting disinterested in these esoteric show designs.

But the "Audience Engagement" part of the sheet is supposed to counter-balance that. Unfortunately, the judges either didn't care, did't understand, or didn't think SCV was entertaining vs BD.

No more callers please... We have a winner!

I'm fairly certain that, since he now has a director of bands position where he is responsible for budgets, graduate students, and overseeing the direction of an entire program, he'll have significantly less time on his hands.

Still wouldn't mind him having some involvement with drum corps. And the guy who took over the marching band is a great teacher and should do really well with them. That band is a lot of fun to watch perform.

I did like 2006, but most people didn't for some reason.

Personally, I didn't like the 2009 arrangement. It was very true to the original and very well done, but I just didn't enjoy it.

Different strokes I guess. Lot of people like 2009 but didn't like 2006. I also though Moto had some of the best drill Pete Weber has ever done, so many cool design elements in that one.

I'm not sad to see Don Hill go. I found his arrangements to be very sterile both last year and this year. I mean, how do you arrange Nessum Dorma to be less than Nessum Dorma? I'm sure there are all kinds of arguments about hands being tied to book choices, etc, but bottom line is even in years where Shaw wasn't perhaps getting the book he wanted to arrange in terms of music choices, his arrangements were always infused with a writing style that brought out emotion and an audience connection. I can't think of one music book from JD that I didn't like in terms of how it was arranged while he was at Regiment. In fact, it's hard to find a year, period, since 87 that I haven't loved Regiment's music arrangements and book, until 2012 and 2013.

Harvey

couldn't agree more.

I don't give a #### where they place, but the fact that I didn't enjoy their show/music for the very first time in 2012 since I've started following drum corps (and probably the 10 or so shows before that as well) PISSES ME RIGHT THE HELL OFF! .... and then I hated 2013 too!!!!

glad he's gone... now i just hope they don't make another bone headed hire... but it's PR, that's what they do. There's only so many bridges you can burn before you have to swim.. maybe it's time to look at the cause of it all....

Edited by general_tsos_chicken2
  • Like 2