The staff merrigoround

This Regiment Farrell thing confuses me. Aren't they the same? The things that you like about Regiment were also aided by the Farrells. I don't understand how you can separate them. And from what I've noticed, when the Farrells relaxed the reigns Regiment tanks. Wasn't that what happen in the late 90's and in 2009? My understanding is the Farrells protect and focus the Regiment brand. You go to Regiment to be Regiment

god, you really are confused!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This Regiment Farrell thing confuses me. Aren't they the same? The things that you like about Regiment were also aided by the Farrells. I don't understand how you can separate them. And from what I've noticed, when the Farrells relaxed the reigns Regiment tanks. Wasn't that what happen in the late 90's and in 2009? My understanding is the Farrells protect and focus the Regiment brand. You go to Regiment to be Regiment

sorry, duplicate post

Edited by eric49

Most every top corps could accomplish this cohesiveness if they would be more concerned about matching talanted and skilled staff who work well 'together'

OK, so these are YOUR words now. Not only do you have to "match talented and skilled staff who work well with each other," but you also have to find designers who are extremely talented at what they do. Would you agree? So...

How many years should that take for a corps NOT called the Blue Devils (or for the sake of argument corps like SCV or Cadets or Crown)? One year? Two? Three? What if it takes more than that? What if you give it a few years and the pieces just don't fit? Certainly you're not suggesting it should happen on the first try, are you? Even the Blue Devils went through a few designers before settling in on what they have now. Should those corps just stick it out with pieces that don't fit simply because it's the "loyal thing to do?" Or because "that's how the Blue Devils do it?" What if while you're trying to work out the right combination of designers, your corps stagnates in the rankings, or even begins to slide backwards and your members start defecting to higher placing corps? What if that stagnation or backslide leads to financial contributions taking a hit? Would you then be in favor of trying a different combination in order to find the RIGHT match, as you put it?

You're the corps director.....GO. How long should it take?

PS - If anyone has the answer, I'd be interested in knowing: From the years 1987-1993, did the Blue Devils change designers in any of the captions? If so, who and when did it occur? Thanks.

• Like 1

I'd be careful. You can bank on what Chaos says.

As an alum of the organization that he routinely spreads internet drama about, I beg to differ. I mean, in a previous Phantom thread, he honestly took credit for some of the musical tweaks made during the 2012 season, for God's sake. It doesn't get much more ridiculous than that.

Edited by snaredude08
  • Like 3

You're the corps director.....GO. How long should it take?

It would take a while; but since you want me to be the 'hypothetical' director here is a 'hypothetical' reply. (remember, this is hypothetical). As Director I would prioritize the desired structure of show design system with how I would want shows to be communicated; then I would contact as many potential Designers and potential Caption Heads as possible to ask them three simple questions: 1) "Do you agree with the conceptual mission of our show communication system"; 2) If no, "Goodbye", but If yes ask, "Who do you respect enough that you would work with them in morphing a consorted effort into a complete package show design within that concept"; and 3) "If you were to work closely with those people would your ego get in the way if you were winning captions and others were not; and would you respectfully adjust to other suggestions if your caption is faltering while others are prospering". At that point I would have collected a number of names in which I could choose the design team and caption heads ( again, hypothetical here so for sake of the hypothetical let's say I secure a rather good team based on all that research information); then after putting together the team from that information I would allow each caption head to secure their own techs. The team decision hierarchy structure would be me as Director, then the Program Director, then the Design Team, then the Caption Heads, then the techs (in that order of command); I would then give that team almost full autonomy to construct and instruct the show; with the Program Director only interfering if a Design or Caption Head conflict cannot be resolved, and me as director having final say 'if' a conflict cannot be resolved by the Program Coordinator. The one big huge rule would be Respect; we all agree to respect the hierarchy, we all agree to respect the input of others whether that input is from someone above, equal status, or below; we all agree to respect the idea of no micro-managing from any superior but to also respect the decisions made by a superior. During the initial phase, which will take a while, some may leave on their own, some may need to be asked to leave, but when that happens the questioning process for replacements reoccur; and at some point things would begin to gel and the team would work 'together', have loyalty, and longevity; and I would not fire someone if their caption happened to falter, I would ask the entire team to help support that person to get the issue resolved. (oh, and hypothetically, I would pay them all very well).

Edited by Stu

Completely false.

Thanks Chris for clarifying.

Michael Gaines was not fired from the Cavaliers.

And for those of you who don't know who Chris Lugo is.....look it up

Edited by GREENBLUE
  • Like 4

Newsflash: Gaines was fired. Lots of issues with their admins.

Conjecture. Also, it could be considered slander (well libel) which is illegal. Would LOVE to see some proof on that one.

I'll just stay out of this right now, but that was a pretty interesting statement for sure.

...and it's on here for every to see too.

Edited by jjeffeory
  • Like 1