The staff merrigoround

Is that a change at Madison with former Carolina Crown DM Blake Daughtrey now Visual Caption Head after being a viz tech there or did I miss his promotion previously? I know Andy Ebert moved there from Crown in '13 and is back again as drill writer. http://www.madisonscouts.org/Madison_Scouts/Blake_Daughtrey.html

Well, I must say that Spirit announcement has me less than impressed, nothing personal. Some talent on that list, but not enough I am afraid. Door could be open for someone new to get into the Saturday night show. Would love them to prove otherwise.

Colts Updates:

A.J. Pace Named To Head Colts Percussion; David Nelson Returns As Arranger
October 4, 2013
Vicki MacFarlane, Colts Director

The Colts introduce A.J. Pace as percussion caption head for the 2014 season. A.J. is actually returning to the Colts in a roundabout way as he finished the 2012 season teching the snare drums after Teal Sound could not complete their season. A.J. was the battery caption head for Teal Sound that year. He developed as a performer under the direction of Mike McIntosh at the Bluecoats Drum & Bugle Corps. Read more about A.J. HERE.

Returning to write the arrangements for battery and front ensemble is David Nelson, who will also serve on the Colts design team. Dave is back for his fourth season with the Colts. He will also oversee the percussion program as caption supervisor. Read Dave's bio HERE.

Stay tuned to the Colts website for announcements regarding the instructional staffs for each caption, as well as brass and percussion audition materials.

Colts Announce Brass Changes For 2014
September 10, 2013
Jeff MacFarlane, Executive Director The Colts welcome back a couple of familiar faces to lead the brass staff and arrange the music. Jason Buckingham, who last served as Colts brass caption head in 2007, returns to the Colts in the same role. Chuck Naffier, an alumnus of the corps, was instrumental in the Colts initial run into DCI Finals back in the early 1990s as brass caption head, arranger, and later as program coordinator. Chuck will write the Colts brass book in 2014 for the first time since 1999.

Jason has served as caption head for the Blue Knights, Troopers, Colts and, most recently, the Crossmen. He has the unique distinction of taking three brass programs from non-finalist status into DCI's Top 12 (Blue Knights '96, Colts '07, and Crossmen '12). He was a member of the Original London Cast of "blast!" working on the music staff, and was selected as the Colorado representative in School Band & Orchestra magazine's annual list of "50 Directors Who Make A Difference" while at Northglenn High School in Denver. Read more about Jason here.

Chuck Naffier has been involved in the marching band and drum corps activities since 1980 as a performer, teacher, arranger, composer, program coordinator and consultant. He has served on the DCI Judges/Instructors Taskforce as one of two brass representatives alongside Wayne Downey. Since 2011, Chuck has been the brass arranger at Crossmen. In the 1990s, he took on many roles with the Colts including brass arranger, brass caption supervisor and program coordinator. He entered the Colts Hall of Fame in 2003 having been an integral part of the design team that had the corps in DCI Finals every year but one from 1993-99. Read more about Chuck here.

"We are excited to be reunited with Jason and Chuck on the Colts brass team," said Colts Director Vicki MacFarlane. "We have great respect for Jason's work with the brass programs he has built through the years. Chuck actually served as my brass caption head back in the mid-'90s, and it's an honor to have him back on staff with the Colts."

In other staff news, Marc Sylvester will return as program coordinator and visual designer in 2014. Marc will once again lead the design team, which will be announced in its entirety soon.

Chris Tomsa, who served as Colts brass arranger from 2004-13, is pursuing some outside business ventures and, as a result, will step back from his position as brass arranger for the corps. Chris instead will continue to serve the Colts in an administrative, educational and design capacity in the position of program advisor. Said Chris, "I'm looking forward to the opportunity to continue my work with the Colts, and working closely with Vicki as program advisor. We're excited to build on the momentum we've established as we pave the way for an extraordinary time to come." Read Chris' updated bio here.

The Colts will make additional staff announcements in the coming days, along with an announcement regarding the preseason audition and rehearsal schedule. Stay tuned...

Colts Audition And Preseason Rehearsal Schedule Announced
October 1, 2013
Vicki MacFarlane, Colts Director

Welcome to the 2014 Colts! Check out our winter rehearsal schedule and make plans to attend. Our Annual Banquet for 2013 members, parents and volunteers will be held at the Five Flags Center on Friday evening, November 29, beginning at 5:00 pm with camp beginning immediately following for new and returning members. Additional banquet information will be announced at a later date.

NOVEMBER AUDITION WEEKEND
The first audition weekend for the 2014 Colts will be Friday through Sunday, November 29 December 1, at the Five Flags Center in downtown Dubuque, Iowa. Registration will begin at 8:30 pm. More details regarding the November camp will be announced here on our website. Colts 2014 Membership Information will be released shortly along with an introduction of the 2014 staff.

The Colt Cadets will have a kick off meeting for their 2014 season on Saturday morning, November 30, at 11:00 am at the Holiday Inn.

PRESEASON REHEARSAL SCHEDULE
Nov. 29-Dec. 1, Five Flags Center, Dubuque
December 20-22, (Middle School TBA, Dubuque, IA)
January 17-19, Five Flags Center, Dubuque
February 21-23, (Middle School TBA, Dubuque, IA)
April 25-27, (Middle School TBA, Dubuque, IA)
May 19, Color Guard Early Move In
May 23, FULL CORPS MOVE IN FOR SUMMER

Due to extensive conflicts for many students, as well as helping our members reduce off-season travel costs, we have not scheduled a March camp in 2014. We will be doing more individual lessons via Skype and YouTube, and have found that the weekly contact is as or more valuable to our pre-summer efforts than a March rehearsal. This makes attendance at the February and April rehearsals even more critical, so please plan accordingly.

Find out everything you need to get started by clicking the JOIN button on the right side of the page!

We look forward to seeing you in Dubuque very soon!

• Like 1

Well, I must say that Spirit announcement has me less than impressed, nothing personal. Some talent on that list, but not enough I am afraid. Door could be open for someone new to get into the Saturday night show. Would love them to prove otherwise.

At the risk of coming off as Captain of the Spirit Defense Force, why? Who on this staff is not going to maintain the current rate of improvement relative to everyone else around?

• Like 1