The staff merrigoround

• 2 weeks later...

At the risk of coming off as Captain of the Spirit Defense Force, why? Who on this staff is not going to maintain the current rate of improvement relative to everyone else around?

Well, of those who have left, Chris Hestin, Mark Waymire, Jude Boughton, Jeremy Hunt, Todd Snead, Andy Putnam, and many others, they represent people who have long taught groups in the top twelve, all of them. Additionally, this list of people also represent teaching in the top five or six, for multiple years. This is the group that got Spirit into top twelve and kept them there. This group revised a drum corps that had a strong, but old identity and brought that into the new era. This group of people are are also involved heavily at the top of WGI, BOA, and other pageantry arts. These people are well known by DCI judges and interact with them extensively throughout the year in other venues. This group stayed together and left together, that is hard to replace regardless. Though there is talent on the new crew for sure, it just doesn't match up to all of the things I have mentioned here.

Edited by recketscience

Colts have chuck naffier on board. I think that qualifies as more advanced.

Well, of those who have left, Chris Hestin, Mark Waymire, Jude Boughton, Jeremy Hunt, Todd Snead, Andy Putnam, and many others, they represent people who have long taught groups in the top twelve, all of them. Additionally, this list of people also represent teaching in the top five or six, for multiple years. This is the group that got Spirit into top twelve and kept them there. This group revised a drum corps that had a strong, but old identity and brought that into the new era. This group of people are are also involved heavily at the top of WGI, BOA, and other pageantry arts. These people are well known by DCI judges and interact with them extensively throughout the year in other venues. This group stayed together and left together, that is hard to replace regardless. Though there is talent on the new crew for sure, it just doesn't match up to all of the things I have mentioned here.

Yep yep, though there are bigger names out there, this is huge. These people are respected everywhere for many various reasons. Reasons that have revived a corps that has struggled off and on for nearly 20 years. And they got them back in for the last three years and regained a fan base. Maybe the board did not respect them enough, as crazy as that seems. We will wait and see.

Can anyone tell me if there has been a big change in Bluecoats guard staff? I am not sure of names but it looks like a lot of new people are on the guard staff this coming season. Is this a good change for them? Thanks for any insight someone may have.

The new designers for the Bluecoast guard are Greg Lagola (Cadets, SCV Winterguard) and Carol Abohatab (SCV summer and winter). Both are highly respected in the colorguard activity and should bring a fresh look to the Bluecoats.

Yep yep, though there are bigger names out there, this is huge. These people are respected everywhere for many various reasons. Reasons that have revived a corps that has struggled off and on for nearly 20 years. And they got them back in for the last three years and regained a fan base. Maybe the board did not respect them enough, as crazy as that seems. We will wait and see.

Let it be noted that everyone on this list left by their own decision as far as I know. Some have been teaching for a very long time and deserve the break. Others have taken on new roles in their professional lives and simply won't be able to be as present as before and have decided to leave rather than disservice the corps with an inconsistent presence.

Additionally, minus the brass staff who are new, the people that are stepping up as caption heads are the people who have worked alongside these big list names, and were the real day to day people that the corps members interacted with over the last few years.

In the end, I'm just amazed that people think this is the end for Spirit. Sure, there'll be some rubs as is always true for new staffs. But there will be consistency in many of the captions along with some fresh new talent.

Not saying Spirit of Atlanta's gonna win DCI. I'm just saying...

Spirit of Atlanta's gonna win DCI.

:devil:

• Like 1

The new designers for the Bluecoast guard are Greg Lagola (Cadets, SCV Winterguard) and Carol Abohatab (SCV summer and winter). Both are highly respected in the colorguard activity and should bring a fresh look to the Bluecoats.

Carol and Greg were on the Bluecoats staff guard staff last year. They're not new. Maybe the new guard caption head will help?