The staff merrigoround

-_-

This sucks. If true, who the hell would want to replace him and deal with the dictator?

I agree that it sucks. I thought he was doing well there.

I'm a bit worried that this isn't the end.

Edited by LincolnV

I'm not sad to see Don Hill go. I found his arrangements to be very sterile both last year and this year. I mean, how do you arrange Nessum Dorma to be less than Nessum Dorma? I'm sure there are all kinds of arguments about hands being tied to book choices, etc, but bottom line is even in years where Shaw wasn't perhaps getting the book he wanted to arrange in terms of music choices, his arrangements were always infused with a writing style that brought out emotion and an audience connection. I can't think of one music book from JD that I didn't like in terms of how it was arranged while he was at Regiment. In fact, it's hard to find a year, period, since 87 that I haven't loved Regiment's music arrangements and book, until 2012 and 2013.

Harvey

• Like 4

I'm not sad to see Don Hill go. I found his arrangements to be very sterile both last year and this year. I mean, how do you arrange Nessum Dorma to be less than Nessum Dorma? I'm sure there are all kinds of arguments about hands being tied to book choices, etc, but bottom line is even in years where Shaw wasn't perhaps getting the book he wanted to arrange in terms of music choices, his arrangements were always infused with a writing style that brought out emotion and an audience connection. I can't think of one music book from JD that I didn't like in terms of how it was arranged while he was at Regiment. In fact, it's hard to find a year, period, since 87 that I haven't loved Regiment's music arrangements and book, until 2012 and 2013.

Harvey

I agree with your "never met a JD Shaw book I didn't like" (until 2012). As for Don Hill, I thought 2012 was outstanding, but 2013 was beyond bland. I liked 2012 from the Concert in the Park clip early season, and it kept getting better throughout the season as tweaks came. I thought 2013 was pretty stale early, and it got worse as the season wore on. I think it could be due to musical selections this year and how they were being used in the story. But maybe his style is best suited for the BOA world - he's Broken Arrow's arranger.

The old adage about firing the football coach: "who are you going to get that's any better?"

• Like 1

I hope they stick with Scott Boerma. He's top notch, especially for a bottom six corps.

Scott Boerma is top notch for any corps.

He did arrange for Madison Scouts from 1989 - 2006 and has a bunch of University Directing, Conducting, and Arranging Experience. Certainly a spectacular resume in my book!

• Like 1

I'm thinking Wayne Downey as Phantom's new arranger. Who's with me?

Wow. This post has the potential for flamage...

Harvey

I agree 100% percent with what you're saying here. Even if I didn't like the show ( which was pretty rare), I always enjoyed the arrangements of a Phantom show until 2012 and 2013.

Sorry those who do not like to hear that.