The staff merrigoround

This Regiment Farrell thing confuses me. Aren’t they the same? The things that you like about Regiment were also aided by the Farrells. I don’t understand how you can separate them. And from what I’ve noticed, when the Farrells relaxed the reigns Regiment tanks. Wasn’t that what happen in the late 90’s and in 2009? My understanding is the Farrells protect and focus the Regiment brand. You go to Regiment to be Regiment

• Like 3

True... but what is happening in the DCI GE captions today is that if one corps emulates the Kronos Quartet performing variations on the twelve-tone-row music of Schonberg and the visual aspects of modern interpretive dance, and another corps emulates the hot sounds of Here Come The Mummies along with the visual aspects of Broadway, no matter if those two corps were equal in performance engagement quality, instead of a tie because they were equal in engagement transmission the GE scores will now always fall on the side of favoring the Schonberg show (all in the name of moving DCI into the realm of deep intellectual artistic complexity and away from entertaining escapism).

For once I agree with Stu.

• Like 2

But the "Audience Engagement" part of the sheet is supposed to counter-balance that. Unfortunately, the judges either didn't care, did't understand, or didn't think SCV was entertaining vs BD.

Or, the judges struggle to award audience engagement to a show that comes across as pandering. I'll get fried for apparently being the first person to say this, but only thing missing in SCV this year was a bottle dance.

Seriously though. I agree that the judges don't appear have a handle on the term Audience Engagement and what it means for their role. Can't say that I blame them.

One man's audience engagement (as defined by many DCP members) is another man's cojoling.

• Like 3

I certainly can as an audience member get deeply 'engaged' with the educational and historical aspects of the artistic progression of Dada as well as the intellectual and theoretical progression of re:Rrite of Spring; and am happy to be so engaged (in an academic setting with a professor and artistic/academic performers). But at a DCI show I, as well as an overwhelming growing number of disenchanted people, want to get 'engaged' as audience members with shear high quality entertainment (as in a rock concert type setting with Rush and U2). This lack of 'venue specific purpose of engagement' disconnect between the two settings is currently a huge problem with the way the judges are interpreting the GE sheets.

And yet there's a whole contingent of fans who DON'T go to shows to see the same kinds of shows you do. If you want your version of entertaining, I'd point you towards Madison Scouts or Phantom Regiment. Other people find Blue Devils or Cadets more entertaining. Still others prefer Bluecoats or Cavaliers. What IS working for DCI is that variety. Personally, I like all kinds of shows for all kinds of reasons. But if any of those styles of shows were all of a sudden not present some group of fans would get disenfranchised. Is it really fair to claim that because a particular group of fans prefers a style of show, that's the only style of show that should be considered effective or be rewarded?

• Like 3

Chris Cyr and visual staff out at Bluecoats. New staff coming in next year.

• Like 1

I guess that means the toe-down experiment didn't work out &/or have the impact the way they wanted?

I wonder if Tim Jackson will want to go back to teaching drums or try to find another visual caption head opening.

Edited by rmurrey74

Unfortunately the visual problems with Bluecoats appears to be more the music people not letting the visual people do thier job in terms of risk and development. Vandercoff is nothing special based on his Scouts drills and Coats this year but the holy trinity could be the visual staff and unless they are allowed more freedom it will not matter. They need a visual coordinator that knows the activity and will fight to let the visual do their job.

• Like 2

Or, the judges struggle to award audience engagement to a show that comes across as pandering. I'll get fried for apparently being the first person to say this, but only thing missing in SCV this year was a bottle dance.

Seriously though. I agree that the judges don't appear have a handle on the term Audience Engagement and what it means for their role. Can't say that I blame them.

One man's audience engagement (as defined by many DCP members) is another man's cojoling.

OIC, the audience sitting on their hands was really them mesmerized, in awe as it were, of BD's product. Got it. So the judges have it right after all, cool!

• Like 4

Unfortunately the visual problems with Bluecoats appears to be more the music people not letting the visual people do thier job in terms of risk and development. Vandercoff is nothing special based on his Scouts drills and Coats this year but the holy trinity could be the visual staff and unless they are allowed more freedom it will not matter. They need a visual coordinator that knows the activity and will fight to let the visual do their job.

The vis team was "allowed" to change the technique entirely. They were given carte blanche for two years. I have no idea where you're coming from.

• Like 7