Crown's single most brilliant move

Having fun with themselves by utilizing #purplepantsband as a popular Internet thing and putting it on countless t-shirts didn't hurt, either, in getting the audience "up." After years of corps running away from the "band" moniker, and embracing the fact that their pants were indeed purple, I think this brought a smile to the faces of many folks.

Eventhough I was not a fan of all the spoken word in the show (and yes even if it is original to the source material), I can honestly say they well deserved this championship--despite any hype...

I kept up with your live blog, Michael, even as I watched (too afraid to spend $50 on live finals feed though) semifinals. I just want to commend you on what a sensational job you do with it.

And, although it may be a "Secret"---how did the Boo Party ever get your name ?????

• Like 2

Eventhough I was not a fan of all the spoken word in the show (and yes even if it is original to the source material), I can honestly say they well deserved this championship--despite any hype...

I kept up with your live blog, Michael, even as I watched (too afraid to spend $50 on live finals feed though) semifinals. I just want to commend you on what a sensational job you do with it.

And, although it may be a "Secret"---how did the Boo Party ever get your name ?????

Thanks...it was a blast and I hope I'm allowed to continue to do it. Connecting with the fans is my biggest thrill in drum corps...aside from witnessing so many magnificent shows.

Because I marched Cavaliers, there has been some confusion about the Boo Party, which, for those not familiar, is the name of the big party Cavaliers have at the end of the season. Decades ago, a man named Rick Monk was the quartermaster for the corps, (the guy who supervised the collection of uniforms at the end of each show and was responsible for other equipment as well). He started hitting up the guys to put loose change in a bucket, to be collected and put towards an end-of-season party just before the final show. That became quite a tradition for decades. (The responsibilities for that have of late been taken over by the alumni and other boosters.) Rick's nickname was Boo, so the bucket became known as the Boo Bucket and the party the Boo Party. Rick was retired from the corps before I started my three years in 1975, but I did meet him a few times and was at his wake. I once told him, "I am a Boo, but you are THE Boo."

If you want to talk about a good competitive strategy also, I think doing the early West Coast tour made all the difference. Directly comparing yourself to BD early on was very wise (yet expensive) strategy.

That strategy worked in 2008 as well!

And 2011.

Right. I think if you meet BD after they have a full head of steam built (and undefeated in the west coast tour) they are virtually unbeatable in this age. Touring early with them (and you have to be #### good) does appear to be a vulnerability of theirs - besides the occasional off year in design. Perhaps it messes with their confidence.

Right. I think if you meet BD after they have a full head of steam built (and undefeated in the west coast tour) they are virtually unbeatable in this age. Touring early with them (and you have to be #### good) does appear to be a vulnerability of theirs - besides the occasional off year in design. Perhaps it messes with their confidence.

Since 2007, all DCI champions have toured California.

• Like 1

Nah. it has nothing to do with "catching BD early" or "messing with their confidence". Those are cop-out arguments.

The reason the west coast tour works so well for non-west corps is the direct comparison to Devils early, sure, but more importantly it's the increased quality of feedback you get from judges at west coast shows as a result. You will always get better criticism of your program when you are at a show with a full panel, and when the judges can compare and contrast you directly to other corps of your caliber.

History will show you how much success corps have when they go west...and not even just at the top. It's not an easy trip, but it's well worth it.

• Like 1

I think it is more that it gives the corps competing with BD the motivation to work their ##### off even harder than they normally would in the early season. It is easier to get complacent when you are going head to head with a monster like BD every night in the early season. I hope some of the directors see this and more corps start coming out west. There is no reason why only one of the big eastern corps have to come out west every year. It would be awesome if they all did it. I know it is expensive, but is it any more expensive than BD and SCV (not to mention Mandarins and Pacific Crest) having to travel to the east coast every year? Not really.

Of course, there is one corps that competes with BD on the West Coast every year, but hasn't one a title in 14 years (shared), or outright in 24 years. So I am not sure this analysis holds up.

• Like 1