Crown's single most brilliant move

I get why you posted this thread but I'm sorry to disagree with your conclusion. To credit the crowd's response to a social media post under-emphasizes the real reason: Crown sold their show to the fans in the audience. I knew nothing of the post you speak of, but I can tell you that the crowd there Saturday night needed no help what-so-ever in getting their enthusiasm up. I recall, maybe, one other time in 40 years where a corps got such a raucous standing-O while waiting to come out of the tunnel. Even BD's gestures at the camera couldn't possibly have more riled up the crowd than they already were. I highly doubt the StandUp effort was at all necessary or impactful.

The #purplepantsband meme is cute, and I saw this hot babe (oops, sorry) in the stands wearing a pair of nicely-tinted purple pants and very nice (uh-hum) form-fitting dark gray shirt that said "Vis Mom" over a crown on the front (there was something on the back but, honestly, I don't remember what it said :w00t:/>). If that person reads these threads, then my compliments. You and your outfit were as dazzling as your kids' show.

Purplepantsband. Now THAT was a brilliant marketing effort.

I still think the single biggest thing they did was the uniform change. Huge effect on the visual captions.

HATE the uniform change. The only thing good about it was it hid dirt.

Honestly.... The fans in Indy knew the storyline going in. Cinderella finally getting her shot at the glass slipper. A show most loved, with brass to die for.... And good ole BD as the one to knock off.

The only thing that could have helped Crown more was if they yelled "yo Adrian I did it!"

• Like 3

HATE the uniform change. The only thing good about it was it hid dirt.

Does it hide more or less dirt than black pants with a drop-sash down one leg? Hasn't stopped either group from doing great in Vis. Proficiency. Crown also won Vis. Proficiency last year with the cream pants, so there goes that argument I guess....

• Like 4

Their best move was to somehow pay off Fugett to gift them their drum score on Friday night so that they could go on last Saturday night so that they could get gifted the championship.

You are a bitter, bitter person.

I feel sorry for you. Your life must be miserable.

• Like 9

Of course, there is one corps that competes with BD on the West Coast every year, but hasn't one a title in 14 years (shared), or outright in 24 years. So I am not sure this analysis holds up.

It does because Phantom, Cadets, and Crown are not within 45 miles of each other. So the aforementioned corps have a more "captive audience" in regards to a talent pool. So yes the analysis holds up.

Sidenote: With a stable staff SCV had the first 20 years of DCI, SCV/BD had over 5 titles each. So that worked as well. The staff stability for BD is at 20 years at almost all captions, while SCV experience 6 rotations of their staff during the same time. Seems now SCV has stabilized that front and we can see the return of SCV/BD being contenders year in and year out. Could be the early 80's all over again (3 corps contending - Garfield/SCV/BD) with SCV, Crown and BD. With Cadets in the mix as well.

IMHO, when they posted 16 characters on Twitter / Facebook - #standupforcrown. Of course they worked hard, had a great show all year, etc. But the additional crowd reaction created by the effective use of social media to increase the crowd response pushed their GE score up a notch or two and secured the victory.

To whomever decided to post #standupforcrown on Crown's Facebook/Twitter - brilliant.

Wow; Interesting way to look at that.

It feels like you're saying that peer pressure earned them more GE points? lookaround.gif

I'm not willing to buy the idea that social media being the panacea to higher GE. Twitter certainly doesn't affect me that way despite my efforts.