Need Methods/Teaching Advice

mjs4484

I just introduced my girlfriend, who is 20, to drum and bugle corps by taking her to the DCI Prelims cinecast. By the time we watched the Finals webcast, she couldn't explain why, but she felt that this was something she HAD to be involved in. She used to play clarinet in middle school, but she'd be starting from scratch for the most part. Long story short, I have 100 days to help her relearn to read music and learn to play baritone to a level where she can have a chance to audition for a World Class DCI corps.

So, fellow brass peoples/educators, I'm looking for opinions on a favorite/recommended beginner's methods book series I can get to take her through to best set her up for success. Suggestions?

The Breeze-Easy series is pretty good to build confidence and rehash music reading. I used it with my beginning students where applicable and it worked well. May not be as hip as some of the newer method books but I felt it set people up for success and feeling like they were getting somewhere.

Get her the arban's trombone book. That book helps with lyrical technique, scales, tonguing, long tones, lip slurs, range expansion and so much more. Its a really great book. I got mine used online for $12!

Arbans is a great book. I have the trumpet one and it was a challenge.

Arbans is a great book. I have the trumpet one and it was a challenge.

Yes. The trick with Arbans is it jumps quickly from level 1 to demanding. Unless she's a great reader and gets the embouchure agility issues fast, you'd need somewhat of a bridge from the beginner to the more advanced stuff within the book. I somehow made off with a beater copy for myself many years ago.

• 4 weeks later...

Arbans is good, but the best advice I can give would be to hire a private instructor. The Brass instrument embouchure is way different than the woodwind's. If she played flute, that would be easier. Much frustration and unlearning will be avoided by hiring a good private lesson instructor.