Freelancers hornline

listening to some 1982 1984 freelancers. As a member of a top 6 drum and bugle corps in the eighties myself...i have to say that I always admired the freelancers horn line. The sound and sonority is really really great and I was wondering what was there instrumentation? And what kind of bugles that they played on? Their sound is so different from all the other corps except for maybe Blue Devils.

I can't give you the particulars on their brass (brand/instrumentation), but I always enjoyed listening to them.

I loved their homage to Singers Unlimited with the swing/jazz opener in '81 & '82.

I'll never forget when they did their first national tour, in '75..........

virtually everybody in the Midwest thought they were the Anaheim Kingsmen in different uniforms.

Freelancers were, if I remember right, on the same King bugles we were on at the time...minus the dings and dents from their buckle-smash, of course.

They'd go to parade rest in the retreat block and EVERYONE in the BD block would cringe (we kinda babied our horns).

In alumni gigs I like to play lead parts on my King K-80 2V euph which came from the 80's Freelancers, complete with the buckle dings and dents Sam mentioned; one of the wraps in the tubing is nearly flat.

807193058_2857878459_0.jpeg

Edited by TRacer

• 4 weeks later...

Freelancers were, if I remember right, on the same King bugles we were on at the time...minus the dings and dents from their buckle-smash, of course.

They'd go to parade rest in the retreat block and EVERYONE in the BD block would cringe (we kinda babied our horns).

As I recall, they played on Chrome not Silver. I always wondered how they sounded so good playing on Chrome Horns that were all smashed up from their buckle smash! :cool:

I could have swore they played on Olds Bugles.

I'll have to ask Bo Dingus. I think he marched Contra in '84.

I could be confusing them with Velvet Knights who appeared to have a mix of horns or at least a mix of Silver and Chrome.

listening to some 1982 1984 freelancers. As a member of a top 6 drum and bugle corps in the eighties myself...i have to say that I always admired the freelancers horn line. The sound and sonority is really really great and I was wondering what was there instrumentation? And what kind of bugles that they played on? Their sound is so different from all the other corps except for maybe Blue Devils.

I'm glad you mentioned that. As the OP of the Cavies 1982 thread, I noticed the exact same thing. What a great line! Actually, that whole '82 show was across the board a very solid show. Not only were they loud, they were tight. A lot of credit to the arrangement. Really nice visual too. I don't think it was the instruments, I think they just had a competitive line with good instruction, and a reputation going back to the 70's to live up to.

Edited by onfirepro

I could have swore they played on Olds Bugles.

I'll have to ask Bo Dingus. I think he marched Contra in '84.

I could be confusing them with Velvet Knights who appeared to have a mix of horns or at least a mix of Silver and Chrome.

The hornline proper used chrome...it was a hype for them and they liked that type of sound. Their contras were silver Kings. VK used anything they could get their hands on to play...their contras played on K90s, DEGs and Olds V/Rs.