What is this called

Corps were influenced by scholastic marching bands to do this, right?

Correct. On the west coast.

• Like 1

From Wikipedia: "The brown note is a hypothetical infrasonic frequency that would cause humans to lose control of their bowels due to resonance."

The combination of frequency and intensity have never been discovered (not even by Myth Busters).

I believe the term, Thunderous Goo, is a perfect descriptor for the phenomenon in question (synth doubling the low brass and with a large crescendo on every cutoff).

It is especially disappointing since the biggest offenders have great brass lines - why cover them up?

I admit, I'm a dinosaur. For me, dynamic range is a good thing - the overly compressed, bass-laden stuff that masquerades for music, today, is a far cry from dynamic (envision the little import pounding and rattling next to you at a stop). I'm afraid this is the inspiration for the Thunderous Goo.

Cadets and Phantom were the worst offenders this year. The bummer was Cadet's tuba line was really good and the low end wasn't needed. With Phantom, it was (sadly).

I hadn't noticed it with Cadets the three times I saw them live this year, but MAN did it hurt the ears in the theater on Thursday, then again Friday and Saturday. I wholeheartedly agree, they really didn't need it.

I hadn't noticed it with Cadets the three times I saw them live this year, but MAN did it hurt the ears in the theater on Thursday, then again Friday and Saturday. I wholeheartedly agree, they really didn't need it.

But, but, but, but.... we have been told that it's awesome (by a few people) and that this will bring in MORE audience members somehow! How can you doubt the allure of the thunderous goo????? :tongue:

• Like 2

To my ears, it should be referred to as "The Great Pretender."

• Like 1

Cadets and Phantom were the worst offenders this year. The bummer was Cadet's tuba line was really good and the low end wasn't needed. With Phantom, it was (sadly).

Ummm.....

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the input, everyone. I think it was 2010 or 2011 that I went to Big Loud and Live with an old high school buddy and specifically said "wow either the mics are great or these kids are CRUSHING the low end" and the buddy (who has been following closely all along) told me about the new trend with the "goo". I was very disappointed.

I watched every corps at semis with the intention of finding a corps that didn't use thunderous goo. Guess what? To varying degrees, every corps uses it. Open class too. Those keyboard fingers double the brass, and not just low notes. Some corps even have two thunderous goo machines. Solos and section features were the only time fingers came off. The difference is in how it is mixed. Noticeable or not.

Edited by luv4corps