Electronic effects

I always lamented the idea but I have really grown to like it. Not when they double brass parts or anything like that but to play things that you just can't duplicate like the accordion sounds during BDB or the sound effects I am hearing. I think it is really cool.

let's face it. they are here to stay so you better learn to like it.

Vocals I really hate but what can you do? (make fun of it)

I don't think I'll ever learn to like it, I'll always miss the purity and how genius corps were to invent interesting and creative ways to generate sounds. I remember a corps in '92 using a big cylinder on a crank to generate this really cool wind sound- it was massive like a tornado- and it was really cool watching them do it. That kinda stuff is sadly gone- today they'd just hit a button and run it through a power amp. As far as the use of electronics to actually play a role in the brass ensemble (not just sound effects), it will be interesting to see where it goes, who makes the decisions, and if the fans (who seem pretty against it far as I can tell) will have any influence on it. Good discussion. The whole "amps vs no amps" thing has been beaten to death, I am more interested in seeing where the boundaries lie both in what is actually legal per DCI rules and what the typical fans allow before they demand the real thing. Or, I guess re-define the "real" thing to include amps and synths being a major part of the sonic equation. Seems most people don't want that, though.

I can't wait to see what comes next. IMO there should be no limits at all when it comes to using music instruments, micced, electronic or not.

I was actually just giving this a thought while I was out having a smoke. I really don't have an issue with drum corps allowing anything and everything at some point in the future, yes including woodwinds, but at the same time, I'd bemoan that it's just plain not drum corps by any stretch of the imagination anymore. So my question became, "Why isn't there an organization like DCI, or a branch of DCI that can put out marching groups with low to no rules limits that can perform as well as DCI's top groups can?" If I could have my way, the drum corps part of DCI would start returning to its roots and its strict rules, while still finding ways to innovate within that set, while this new, except not really, division of marching groups would be able to continue the trek that so many drum corps fans seem to be so worried about?

I understand the world isn't rosy enough to make those possibilities very likely, but really, what's there to complain about if there are more great groups and sets of rules to govern them beyond monetary concerns?

The electronics debate quickly morphs into a "what IS a drum corps, anyway" kind of debate. Which is why I think it is such a Pandora's box. It really lead to the demise of a very unique ensemble as far as instrumentation and sound go. I served on the Board of Directors for a World Class corps when the original proposal was voted into effect and remember we all (the BOD) just kinda thought that it was going to drastically change the activity in ways that nobody imagined. I guess we were right- its odd that at the time it seemed very few people on the BOD/corps directors side of things were very keen electronics being implemented (also for cost/complicating things/etc reasons) but the proposals passed with a majority vote regardless. Most people were not real enthused about it but I guess just kind of went along with it because they felt that is where things would eventually go anyway, at least that is the way it seemed to me. Fast forward to now, I am not sure they envisioned amps and synthetic tone being used in conjunction with horn lines. It was really sold as a way to add in unique sounds easily. Not sure if the original proposal would have been ushered in as such, at least not back then (the same proposal was shot down the year prior to it passing).

Edited by funkjazzaxe

Four to six synthesizers playing (in the key of 'G') the parts formerly played by brass players. Percussion in the pit only. And about 115 flags/rifles/dancers/whatever the designer can envision on the field proper...

edit for PS - I hope I am wrong...

I hope to God that you're not related in any way to George Orwell.

I can't wait to see what comes next. IMO there should be no limits at all when it comes to using music instruments, micced, electronic or not.

Drum corps is special because it's not BAND. Why do people want to make it such? Go watch a band show if you desire it.

Drum corps is special because it's not BAND. Why do people want to make it such? Go watch a band show if you desire it.

You're wasting your time. Mike has apparently always felt that drum corps were a kind of band. Well, OK, I think so too, so to clarify: Mike seems to feel not that drum corps are a subset of band, but that there need be nothing that distinguishes drum corps from other kinds of music, except perhaps that most of the members march. Otherwise, all bets are off.

Edited by N.E. Brigand
  • Like 1

I figured as much. One reason I don't enjoy spending too much time on these boards in the off season. It's the same discussions/arguments every year with the same people.

Drum corps is special because it is the height of the marching/music genre. When you watch a corps show, you are watching a band show.

• Like 1