Electronic effects

Back to the original topic- where do the boundaries of electronic effects and synthetic tone end with fans? Would the average drum corps fan be cool with autotuning and lots of processing, like we find in pop music- or would they revolt and want a more organic thing? To my ears, the mic'd soloists are getting more and more buffed out with processing and the synths are playing a larger role in the ensemble's overall impact and sound (not just providing sound effects). From a far vantage point it is often difficult to tell if a brass soloist is playing a lick or the synth. So... are people generally cool with it? If they started sequencing horn licks and inserting tracks under things like often done for live pop music performances, will audiences cry foul or does is the source of the sound moot?

What are the rules regarding in-ear monitoring? In-ear cans are what we most often use in the "normal" music world and allow for precision monitoring in a cluttered sound environment, plus you are able to put a "voice of God" mic in the in-ears that only runs to the monitors, not front of house. So- could corps do this now? Will this be something they would push for the in future (this would allow someone to be able to talk to the performers and direct musicians vocally in real time during performance). This is how its done now on Broadway and every rock concert you go to- will it be the next new thing for drum corps?

To me it was much cooler seeing SCV using drum heads for helicopter sounds, or seeing other cool improvised percussion, then watching someone hit a button. The totally acoustic nature of drum corps made it unique and more impressive, in my opinion that aspect has been lost.

This!

• Like 1

Like most 60s dinosaurs I was opposed to electronics en masse for the longest time.

Having suffered the ignominy of having one of my kids playing synth in Crossmen this year (yes I'm kidding about ignominy - I'm actually very proud AND dug their show) I'm down to just one part of the electronic experience I don't like...

I get the voice overs, but singing? If you're going to have singing it should be live, on the field. I love Etta James, but I don't want to hear her sing "At Last" on the field... Why? Well for one thing she's deceased. For another, where do you draw THAT line in the sand? After you have sampled singing, why not lay Arturo Sandoval on top of the brass line? Who's going to solo better than that?

You want vocals? Get a kid who can sing - the field is full of them. (Loved Madison's "You'll Never Walk Alone")You can amplify. For me I would expand that to sampled chanting - there was a lot of exotic chant superimposed electronically on shows this year (a lot for me is more than zero). You want chant? Get a kid or kids out there chanting.

If someone does a JFK show this year and you want to sample parts of his inaugural speech? Be my guest. But don't have a sample of Marilyn singing Happy Birthday - okay maybe Marilyn - that may not count as singing, but you get idea.

There - it's off my chest - that's my final dino rant about electronics - it's what's for dinner - not going away.

Just want it "played or performed" by one of the kids on the field.

That's the only reason drum corps is special to you?

Of course not. But I wouldn't have marched summer band for six years if given the option vs corps.