Drum judges

It appears to me that drum judges seem to focus their attention on the snare line much of the time, while paying less attention to the tenors, basses, cymbals and front ensemble.

Do you perceive this to be the case? Are drum judges supposed to sample the different subsections equally. Let me know if you think I'm off base.

It seems that way sometimes on the dvd commentary of the past.

With all the complaints about drum judges running all over the field this year, I doubt they're snare-centric.

Garry in Vegas

Jeff Prosperie's tape for the Cadets at Finals this year is floating around the internet. Definitely not snare focused.

• Like 3

Jeff's tape for SCV is also out there, and like the Cadets' it is not snare-centric. He actually has a lot of great comments on Vanguard's pit and bass drums and tenors.

Jeff Prosperie's tape for the Cadets at Finals this year is floating around the internet. Definitely not snare focused.

Where can I find this tape?

• Like 2

no but that may be the easiest place to pick up dirt or differences in cleanliness between corps A and B

most judges stand in front of the snares because if it usually the middle of the battery on the field

this. Especially in this era of setting the battery up in boxes, diamonds, intermixing the voices etc, it's often the easiest place to be to see and hear a lot, and also safest visually.

Do some judges get snare focused? Oh yeah, even in indoor ( won't name names). But by and large they get around and see, hear, sample and comment on all.

With all the complaints about drum judges running all over the field this year, I doubt they're snare-centric.

Garry in Vegas

My grandfather (who's new to drum corps) couldn't keep his eyes off of the drum judge in San Antonio.