Drum judges

Bwaha, I didn't even look at the URL. At least the filename is a UUID, making it hard to find others. But the fact that the software does no access checking... why that'd be like if the Fan Network only relied on the browser's URL field, which is easily enough hacked, to determine if you were authorized to access their videos or not. :ph34r:/> :ph34r:/> :ph34r:/>

It's just a link to Microsoft's "blob store" web service, like Amazon's S3. The downside is that DCI probably has to pay for each download and/or for the bandwidth being used.

Show Before The Show, and Youtube shares and what-not are not surprising.

But this one? The ability to share unsecured directly from Competition Suite!? :blink:/>/> :doh:/>/>

Sure, it's just a raw link, but look at the URL. It's completely randomized, there's no way you could figure out or guess the links for other tapes. Last year, for example, it was done on Dropbox, and if you got the username and password for one corps, you'd have access to all of their tapes for the whole summer. So it might be easier to share one or two tapes with this system (and is that really the end of the world?), but probably harder to share a bunch at once.

I've often thought it would be very interesting for DCI to make all the tapes completely public. In theory they're all constructive criticism, right? As long as judges aren't swearing or overly criticizing individual members, I don't see why not. It would be very interesting to hear different judges' takes on a show, e.g. when two GE judges on a double panel have wildly different opinions. And we would finally have primary evidence when someone asks "what IS it that <judge> sees in <corps X>'s show to score them over <corps Y>?", instead of just a bunch of guessing and speculation.

Edited by CrownStarr

It's just a link to Microsoft's "blob store" web service, like Amazon's S3. The downside is that DCI probably has to pay for each download and/or for the bandwidth being used.

Somebody is paying. Competition Suite is not DCI. But one would think Competition Suite is savvy enough to have arranged to pass these costs on to DCI.

Sure, it's just a raw link, but look at the URL. It's completely randomized, there's no way you could figure out or guess the links for other tapes. Last year, for example, it was done on Dropbox, and if you got the username and password for one corps, you'd have access to all of their tapes for the whole summer. So it might be easier to share one or two tapes with this system (and is that really the end of the world?), but probably harder to share a bunch at once.

I've often thought it would be very interesting for DCI to make all the tapes completely public. In theory they're all constructive criticism, right? As long as judges aren't swearing or overly criticizing individual members, I don't see why not. It would be very interesting to hear different judges' takes on a show, e.g. when two GE judges on a double panel have wildly different opinions. And we would finally have primary evidence when someone asks "what IS it that <judge> sees in <corps X>'s show to score them over <corps Y>?", instead of just a bunch of guessing and speculation.

I understand that each audio URL is uniquely generated and not easily determined. Just interesting that mp3 access in and of itself is freely available. It's up to DCI if this is the end of the world. As noted above, storage and bandwidth are not free. One drum tape going viral probably wont break the bank.

I do notice that the DCI copyright team doesn't seem to mind whole-show judge tapes making it on to Youtube. So it doesn't appear they have serious concerns about copyright issues.

Sorry for the thread derail, everyone.

Edited by mingusmonk

Somebody is paying. Competition Suite is not DCI. But one would think Competition Suite is savvy enough to have arranged to pass these costs on to DCI.

Competition Suite is a pay per use service. It's not cheap.

I think Jeff Prosperie is the best percussion judge DCI has. He seems to judge thoroughly and honestly....and by the way, I dig the fact that percussion judges aren't afraid to call it as they see it. I've listened to scv and cadets tape twice, and he is thorough in each section. He called Cadets bass line the heart and soul and the line....he spent time with scv's cymbal line and had comments. The dude hits everything, no section can hide from him.

I think Allan Kristensen is

Edited by KPinCAL