Who gets the credit or blame for today's DCI shows?

Yes, and if the OP is looking to cite shows and Corps that were " controversial" ( perhaps thats his aim, who knows ), the first time the Bridgemen hit the field in DCI, they were as controversial as it can get. The Bridgemen might have been the most controversial Corps ever to hit a DCI competition field. From the moment thru came thru the stadium gates to approach the field they got gasps from audiences in their first outings. No other Corps to my knowledge got that early of a gasp and looks of bewilderment, angst, confusion, ( even anger ) etc from coast to coast audiences... and even before they played a single note.

That is quite true; I was at their earliest shows in 76. People who marched in the 70's and complain today about changes and "out there" corps...but love the Bayonne Bridgemen for what they were...tend to forget just how dividing and controversial they were back then. Look at the complaints on DCP about Crown's uniform this year...and then look at the reaction to Bayonne's in 76.

• Like 1

I would suggest the OP should watch the historical DVD's from DCI or watch early videos available on Fan Network. A better suggestion might be to view the Essentials Blu-ray in historical order. What you will see is that the corps evolved tow hat they are today. It did not just happen and no one person alone is to be credited or blamed, whatever is your point of view. If a person is objective, he/she will see that each year the best represents excellence whether it is 1975's Madison Scouts or 2008's Spartacus by Phantom Regiment.

Also, blame is often attributed to WGI for certain show designs and color guard maneuvers. If we look back at the origins of WGI, DCI used to have a color guard division, but it took place during the summer. WGI evolved from this, so we're not talking an outside group influencing DCI.

While I will admit that some amplification was a bit much at Lucas Oil Stadium (DCI East at Allentown and other shows I attended didn't seem to have this problem), overall the shows were far more traditional than in past years. They were also strong in entertainment value and as scores demonstrate, we had a great year. As I say this, I am 50, most of the time I view VD's from the late 70's/early 80's. I love the traditional shows, but the corps we loved back then were in many cases controversial.

I blame 50 something year olds that have been in the activity for 40 something years trying to push their decorative faux intellectualism while pretending that it's what kids want

As long as we have 20 plus corps I'm fine with a few freak shows, keeps it interesting its just when we get too many freak shows that I get bored

post of the decade

"Playing the 'Blame Game':

You could go "All the way back" to 'pre DCI' days to fix "Blame" for todays productions.

In 1971 the Chicago Cavaliers, Casper Troopers, Madison Scouts all had "Theme" shows. Chicago did a circus show, complete with a 'Ringmaster, juggler and clown', Casper did a "Wild West" show with an "US Cavalry vs Indians" battle, and Madison did "Alice in Wonerland", complete with a REAL "female Alice" (Director Bill Howards daughter, one of only two females know to have ever marched with the Scouts), the seven dwarfs and a casket (For the dead witch).

I'm sure there are a few more out there from that era, but these three provoked the most comment (Or outrage, depending on your POV).

Elphaba

Seven dwarfs and a casket??? Are you telling me that Snow White didn't live after all??? <<< (sobbing incoherently....)

Our youth will NEVER be the same if THIS result becomes known.... :>)

SNIP

the first time the Bridgemen hit the field in DCI, they were as controversial as it can get.

SNIP

Point of Order:

Brasso is speaking of 1976 ( the return of the Bridgemen )

The Bridgemen ( St. Andrews ) actually was in DCI finals the 1st year of 1972

Point of Order:

Brasso is speaking of 1976 ( the return of the Bridgemen )

The Bridgemen ( St. Andrews ) actually was in DCI finals the 1st year of 1972

This is true... I was referring above to Bridgemen of the mid 70's vintage, not their earlier St. Andrew's Bridgemen editions.

Edited by BRASSO