First Show You Ever Saw...

Blue Rock home show in Wilmington DE. 1971 I think.

Bon-Bons

Garfield Cadets

Chessmen

Boston Crusaders

Bayonne Bridgemen

(may be missing one other corps)

exhibition

Reading Buccaneers

Blue Rock

Remember Garfield won the show. Bridgemen hornline was crowd favorite.

For those that can't remember everything about the first show they saw, if you can approximate where it was, you can look it up on www.corpsreps.com. That's how I found the lineup of the first show I ever went to.

Blue Rock home show in Wilmington DE. 1971 I think.

Bon-Bons

Garfield Cadets

Chessmen

Boston Crusaders

Bayonne Bridgemen

(may be missing one other corps)

exhibition

Reading Buccaneers

Blue Rock

Remember Garfield won the show. Bridgemen hornline was crowd favorite.

I think you are referring to the 1972 BR home show...

Here is what corpsreps says about the 71 Blue Rock home show...

Position Corps Score

1Garfield Cadets 76.100

2St. Rita's Brassmen 74.900

3Blessed Sacrament Golden Knights 73.650

4CMCC Warriors 69.100

5St. Andrew's Bridgemen 68.650

6Knickerbockers 59.600

7Audubon Bon Bons 59.050

8Marion Cadets 56.300

9Long Island Kingsmen 51.400

10Young Americans 51.100

DIVISION EXH Blue Rock

Here is 72...it matches your info...

Position Corps Score

1Garfield Cadets 74.750

2Boston Crusaders 70.950

3St. Andrews Bridgemen 69.850

4Blessed Sacrament Golden Knights 65.550

5Audubon Bon Bons 58.050

6Chessmen 52.950

7Kingston Indians 43.250

On the plus side for me...I won both shows, 71 playing tri-tom and 72 on baritone in Garfield! :tongue:/>

Edited by MikeD

As a freshman in HS, my band director (who was on staff with Suncoast) played us Madison's 83 version of Strawberry Soup (which we were playing that year) and ALL of Cadets 83 (on records, remember those?). I was instantly hooked. Watched 84 finals highlights on PBS the day after my first HS band competition and was blown away.

My first live show was 1985 DCI South at Bobby Dodd field in Atlanta. Suncoast (Florida Suite, which I had seen many times in rehearsal throughout the spring), this cute new corps playing Disney music (Star), Madison (Rhapsody in Blue) and Garfield (Jeremiah). (There were others, I just don't remember who). Madison blew me away, and I remember the crowd booing (just a little) when Garfield beat Madison (I may have been ticked as well) although now that Cadets show is one of my favorites.

Been to countless shows since, including all 4 years that Finals was in Orlando and 2005 in Foxboro. Still love the activity, changes and all (although some changes, not so much, but I'm coming around to others).

I saw the DCI Finals broadcast in 1988. I attended my first show in person in the summer of 1989.

Drums Across America at Sprayberry High School.

Southwind

Crossmen

Florida Wave

Suncoast Sound

Cadets of Bergen County

Spirit of Atlanta

Heh, you saw me there!

Edited by OrlandoContraAlum

1979 or 1980. On TV. My mom, or sister....someone said "there's a marching band on TV". I park in front of it. Stare. I don't see woodwinds, the instruments are all silver, they look different. The group is big (compared to my HS band) and they are in all blue and black (it was Spirit of Atlanta) and they were GOOD and they sounded AWESOME. 2 years later I found an up and coming corps in my area (I won't say who - I like the anonymity) and two years later I was a member of my local drum and bugle corps that at that time was top 6 and marched for 2.5 years (I was drum major of my HS band and wasn't allowed to tour and be drum major so I had to quit after camping). Good ole TV - in technicolor to I might add.

Good time as any to make my fist DCP post.

My first show was the 1973 RCA Championships at Vet's Stadium in Erie, PA. I don't remember much about it, except the Pittsburgh Rockets were defending champs, and the crowd went absolutely bonkers when they announced the Erie Thunderbirds had won. I also seem to remember a couple corps' shows where a marcher passed out at the end and had to be taken to a ambulance that was just beyond the end zone.

The first show i ever saw was Drums on the Ohio, Evansville In. 1987

1 Phantom Regiment 91.900

2 Spirit of Atlanta 88.900

3 Bluecoats 82.900

4 Florida Wave 75.700

5 Dutch Boy 75.600

6 Troopers 73.900

I can only remember the Florida Wave performance.