First Show You Ever Saw...

I saw the PBS broadcast of '81 and '82. I taped '82 with this newfangled machine my dad bought, and I came home and watched every day. I eventually started to realize what Garfield had done that year, and I had an official favorite.

My first live show was in Chattanooga, TN in 1983. It was a Drum Corps South show. The corps were:

Saginaires - Saginaw, MI

Florida Wave - Miami, FL

Pride of Cincinnati - Cincinnati, OH

Suncoast Sound - Tampa, FL

Spirit of Atlanta - Atlanta, GA

It's really still makes me a bit melancholy to think of these corps, as well as DCS, now gone. My sister later marched with Wave.

Spirit won the show. They did an encore that included Let It Be Me (now a classic...the closer that year) as well as Georgia. From that moment on, I was hooked.

Always watched the PBS broadcasts when I was a kid, but wasn't till 2006 when I went to my first DCI show in Madison where the Cavaliers won with The Machine and i've been hooked ever since!

1981 Finals on PBS pledge drive would have been first show seen at all.

If memory (and the internet) serve me right, my first live DCI show was August 9, 1983, at West Chester University, PA - 27th Lancers won that night.

My son's first show was June 28, 2013 at Jackson, NJ - Cadets won.

Edited by Eleran

Cadets 2011 Angels Vs. Demons. Hey, I'm only 16 and didn't know what Drum Corps was three years ago.

It was Michigan City IN in the early 1970s - probably 72 or 73. It was in the old Ames field, near the current version (best little stadium in world for Drum Corps, IMHO), but was then primarily a baseball stadium. We were in bleachers facing side 2 endzone. I recall that they also had field-level seats, and some were overflowing into the end zone.I distinctly remember a squad of the SCV color guard marching right over a picnic blanket, with one gal marking time with one foot stuck in a bucket of KFC.

First experience was actually a live show courtesy of my HS Band Director, Ron Curtis. It was the summer of 1978 in Alton, IL. I was getting ready to start my Senior year in HS.

Pretty good lineup also...:

Phantom Regiment

Spirit of Atlanta

North Star

Cavaliers

Garfield Cadets

Oakland Crusaders

Offensive Lions

Squires

I still remember watching the PBS Special from 1980 with my brother and parents... in B&W... (we didn't have a color TV at the tIme). Who knew that a few years later my brother and I would be playing Bari and Contra in a Top-12 Corps... Funny how things get started some times.

Edited by 82ryder

...I might be the T-Rex in this thread: 1962 AL Nats at Las Vegas. We were a bunch of Boy Scouts in a corps named the Anaheim Scouts. Zig Kanstul was one of the leaders at the time, along with Don Porter Sr. (That's right, sports fans, the guys who founded the Anaheim Kingsmen and Velvet Knights...there are a few of us can say we're charter members of both!) those guys had the foresight to take us youngsters to see what it was all about, this activity that had captivated us already. But, getting back to that show...all we'd been doing is getting our butts kicked in parades by the Monterey Park Girls Drum and Bugle Corps...then THIS SHOW! Garfield Cadets, Royal Airs, Troopers in the Junior competition (Troopers were just starting to make a name for themselves...Garfield was amazing and Royal Airs were the coolest!) Hawthorne Cabs and Boys of 76 in the Senior portion along with an unbelievable Bolling AFB corps with lots of ringers and ...get this...Contra Bass bugles, that were illegal for the competing corps! España Cani by Hawthorne was like a Nuke hit the place. (Even with all this inspiration it still took us a couple of years to finally beat the Flashing Lassies of Monterey Park...sigh.) Oh, well, I ain't slowin' down any time soon! See youse on the 50!

Edited by chasgroh

The first show I saw live was 1977 Lawrence North HS, Indianapolis. First corps off the line was a brand new group called the Spirit of Atlanta. Obviously the beginning of something very good. And very good for your first live drum corps experience. Still remember the feeling to this day.

I've only ever seen videos... I don't have the money to go to shows...

But my band teacher was in BD '89, and he played the opener to us in marching band one day (Ya Gotta Try) - and I was captivated. And then he pointed out the two-valve "trumpet" that the soloist was using, and I went home and looked it up, and got into the world of drum corps.

And I'm glad I got into it.

I'd really encourage you to save up and see some corps performing in the flesh. There really is no comparison between video and real life, no matter how high the quality is.

81 Whitewater on tv....83 Riverside, CA live. Filled out an application for BD right there at the souvie truck and marched the next year.....wth NO corps-style marching experience before....a very steep learning curve.