First Show You Ever Saw...

First live show was summer of 1984 while attending George M. Parks' drum major academy. I believe Crossmen were there but the stars of the show were the Garfield Cadets. Been a Cadet fan since then.

Rufus67 - I was at that camp as well!! (if it's the West Chester Univ. camp you're referring to - I know they do camps elsewhere now).

• Like 1

Nothing to do with your first show, but if you think about CBC's run from 92-98, (2nd, 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, technically 2nd, 1st), that's one of the great runs any corps has ever had over an extended period.

Mike

I'd say it's second only to the current run by BD since 2006: 1, 2, 1, 1, 2, 1, 2. Though I suspect that, while Hopkins was still pretty controversial back then, those CBC shows were fan favorites.

To get back on topic a little... the first time I specifically saw both CBC and BD live was in 98, with CBC edging them out by 0.7.

2005 in Oxford, Alabama. Favorite show of the night was Madison 2005!

Didn't want to hijack the "How Old Are You" thread but lot of people saying when their first show was and where.

My first show was Hershey 1974 (yeah DCA but How Old thread is on DCI side). My parents, sis and I went to the ticket booth to buy the tickets to find out the show is sold out on the concert side (8,000 IIRC). So we sit on the backfield side which was a great way to see how the drill was setting up, etc, etc...

Then retreat started and the favorite corps got knocked off....

Then the programs started flying which looked kinda pretty (and scarey :shutup: ) from the opposite side of the field. My parents had to have been thinking "What is the boy getting into now?" :doh:

Kicker is part of the show is online at www.cabs.org. We're in the blob on the back stands.

So when and where was your first show and memorable for any reason?

While not in person...The first drum corps show I ever saw was in 1986 (16 years old) which was on the PBS re-broadcast on Thanksgiving day. First corps I ever saw and most memorable was the Troopers playing Silverado on this broadcast. That was the day I fell in love with drum corps and why Troopers hold a special place in my heart every year I listen to them no matter their competitive placement.

The first open class corps I ever saw live was Crossmen 1992 in Cohocton, NY. They held an impromptu clinic after the show the night before was canceled. The lineup was originally supposed to be Spectrum, Patriots, Venturers, Sky Ryders, Dutchboy and Crossmen. I got to see the show twice in a row. The first time they stopped after every song to explain that portion. The second time was just a full run. I honestly have a hard time finding shows that I love more than that one ever since. It is by far the best Crossmen show. Nothing complicated about it. Just a solid book played well.

I hadn't even started high school yet. Had been doing marching band for a couple of months as an incoming freshman. Clueless on marching band, let alone drum corps. I was invited the day before the show to squeeze into a van and go with a couple staff and few friends to the Bloomington Indiana show. Back when it used to be held at IU's soccer stadium.

August 6th, 1986
1 Cavaliers 92.0
2 Suncoast Sound 90.5
3 Garfield Cadets 89.1
4 Star of Indiana 87.6
5 Sky Ryders 80.2
6 27th Lancers 79.6
7 Les Eclipses 69.6
8 Connexion Quebec 57.7

The memories that I still have? I had been told by friends on the way down about the glory of 27. Had no idea what it meant then or how this was nearly their end. Stopped by Star Base on our way to the show to pick up some equipment and chat with some folks/high school alumni that were marching and were on our band staff, and would eventually be lifelong friends. Space show was VERY memorable for a 14 year old nerd. Was confused by whatever was going on at the end of Garfield's show. No frame of reference for what was happening there. Bizarre. Nowadays, I really enjoy listening to the Waterfront section of that show. Suncoast Sound blew me away. Incredible sound. Then my drum instructor and mentor gave me a nudge before the bass drum cadenza. I had been playing bass for, like, 2 months. I'm lucky my head didn't explode like the movie Scanners right then and there. The only thing I came away with from Cavies was their look. It seemed very unique to me at the time. But I have no memory of their actual performance.

It wasn't until the following year's Bloomington show, 1987, that I had the epiphany of "I MUST DO THIS." Thanks to Santa Clara Vanguard.

Edited by mingusmonk