First Show You Ever Saw...

The first time I saw a drum & bugle corps was about 1968 in the annual Lion's Club parade. The parade had 3 marching music units - 2 high school bands and 1 drum corps. II was hooked on drum lines immediately.

The local drum corps, the California Kingsmen (not Anaheim) who became the Conquistadors, used to practice at the high school near my house. I would go watch rehearsals. When I turned 12 I asked someone if I could join, but they told me to come back when I was 14. So I did. That was about June 1971.

I was in the process of learning a cymbal part, and I watched the corps compete in a show somewhere not too far away - maybe like Santa Rosa, or Stockton. Santa Clara, Commodores, Freelancers (seems like they used to be called the Capitolaires, then the Capitol Freelancers, but maybe not) a recently formed corps called the Blue Devils, probably some others like Royalaires, don't remember much.

I do remember the Vanguard playing classical music, but the crowd favorite was the Stockton Commodores. I also remember Triple Bass Drums - talk about back aches!

I was thrilled as a kid going on a bus trip, seeing a show, coming back very late at night, thought that was just the coolest thing.

Port Huron in 1993. Mid-sized concrete stadium with no track if I am remembering correctly. Felt like were very close to the corps the stadium captured a lot of sound. To hear the Blue Devils sop line that up close and personal at my first DCI experience...pretty sure I was hard for a week after that!!!

• Like 1

Grandpa took me to a show in Traverse City Michigan when I was about 8. Hooked ever since.

I loved performing at Thirlby Field!

Vincent Ohio at Warren High School. It was 1987 and I saw Spirit, Bluecoats, Phantom Regiment, and Florida Wave, I'm fuzzy on the smaller corps

Edited by bandman28

Didn't want to hijack the "How Old Are You" thread but lot of people saying when their first show was and where.

My first show was Hershey 1974 (yeah DCA but How Old thread is on DCI side). My parents, sis and I went to the ticket booth to buy the tickets to find out the show is sold out on the concert side (8,000 IIRC). So we sit on the backfield side which was a great way to see how the drill was setting up, etc, etc...

Then retreat started and the favorite corps got knocked off....

Then the programs started flying which looked kinda pretty (and scarey :shutup: ) from the opposite side of the field. My parents had to have been thinking "What is the boy getting into now?" :doh:

Kicker is part of the show is online at www.cabs.org. We're in the blob on the back stands.

So when and where was your first show and memorable for any reason?

I remember this show well. Bucs knocked off Cabs and they got booed off the field. I still consider that Bucs hornline to be one of the best ever despite the fact that they didn't win Finals. We did take high percussion led by John Flowers. Richie's solo work, exquisite. I think this was the show where I fell in love with Bucs.

• Like 1

I remember this show well. Bucs knocked off Cabs and they got booed off the field. I still consider that Bucs hornline to be one of the best ever despite the fact that they didn't win Finals. We did take high percussion led by John Flowers. Richie's solo work, exquisite. I think this was the show where I fell in love with Bucs.

And next year Flowers went to Yankee Rebels.... and took high drums at DCA......

just saw this thread Jim and felt that I was compelled to contribute my 2 cents. I was born into drum corps. My father and his siblings (Al and Evelyn) were members of Sgt. Hamilton Fish Post VFW in Philly. My first competition was 1949 Nationals at Municipal Stadium in Philly. Was always taken to local parades and contests and still have some old photos from those days

Man.....I must be really old

Jim aka Guido

Just looked it up. August 7, 1978. Saw Holy Family Defenders, Avant Garde, Offensive Lions, Spirit, Crossmen and Bridgemen. I don't remember the first two, but I do remember Offensive Lions because I thought their name was so strange. Remember specifics about seeing Crossmen, Spirit and Bridgemen. Pretty blown away with the whole thing. 36 years later still at it.... must have made a pretty big impression... LOL.