First Show You Ever Saw...

First viewing of ANY show was Phantom Regiment 1989. My high school was doing New World Symphony (twas bad :shutup: ).

First live performance was in 2009 when Bluecoats were rehearsing in my town.

My first show performance, and the one that got me hooked was Blue Stars in 2010 at the Denton show. Still my favorite live performance I've witnessed.

I didn't get introduced to drum corps until later in the game (also I'm only a Junior in high school), but the first show I ever saw was Carolina Crown's 2010 show, "A Second Chance". Blew my frickin' mind. Ever since then, it's been one of my favorite shows I've ever seen.

Video: Madison '88

Live: DCI South - Birmingham, AL 1991. I think Marauders was the first on that night doing a Pirate show.

First live show was August 2, 1988 in Cincinnati (took a few more years before I realized that corps were not always August quality since I typically only attended this show in August). The line-up was pretty amazing back then and in retrospect (Scores courtesy of Corpsreps.com):

Position Corps Score

1 Santa Clara Vanguard 91.300

2 Phantom Regiment 89.600

3 Madison Scouts 88.200

4 Velvet Knights 87.600

5 Spirit of Atlanta 83.800

6 Sky Ryders 76.100

7 Freelancers 73.800

8 Florida Wave 68.400

9 Glassmen 51.700

10 Limited Edition 45.900

Pretty amazing to think that Vanguard was 3 points ahead of Madison that night and ended up losing to them at Finals (which amazingly were on August 20th that year!)

Saw the PBS Broadcast a few times...

1st live show was as a MM of the San Jose Raiders. We had a thing called the San Jose Evaluation Show that occurred either very late in May or the very beginning of June. We all (All the Northern Cal Corps.) Would take our unfinished shows there for evaluation. I was in the corps that night that went on first. I got to sit in the back stands as we kids used to do and was blown away by the other corps, but especially the Vanguard and the Blue Devils. I was in the Blue Devils 2 seasons later! I always preferred Jazz to Classical so it was the natural move for me to make...

NightBeat Charlotte in 2000. I was 17 and right before band camp started. First corps was Tarheel Sun, and while wasn't really that impressed, it was just the excitement of something new that I had heard about for years but just finally seeing. Once Cavaliers came on that was my "watershed moment" and where I became a fan for life. Heh, I made a pun huh.gif.

Edited by c.l.

My first show seen period was Cadets 2002 thanks again to high school band literally playing close to the same closer musically (you know the visual story of most high school bands.) and also played a slightly different rendition of BWBB. It's still one of my top shows, probably the fact that the context of when it was performed made me never consider some of the issues that were had with it. Them drums was good, too.

First live show was the Fairfield Ohio show in 2009. I can't remember the exact line-up, but I believe Spirit (Then just Spirit) and Teal Sound were there, and the show was highlighted by Phantom Regiment, The Cavaliers, and the Blue Stars. I wish I could remember more about that day, but it was mind-blowing to go from having only seen through video to seeing the groups putting it out live for the audience. Definitely raised my adoration for the activity.

Quick review, turns out it was Memphis Sound, not Teal, and that the Glassmen were there as well.

First viewing of ANY show was Phantom Regiment 1989. My high school was doing New World Symphony (twas bad :shutup:/> ).

First live performance was in 2009 when Bluecoats were rehearsing in my town.

My first show performance, and the one that got me hooked was Blue Stars in 2010 at the Denton show. Still my favorite live performance I've witnessed.

My first viewing of a tape was the '89 finals broadcast too. Couldn't get enough. First live show was '96 in Killeen, TX. It was nice in that it was a cozy little stadium that usually brought 2 top 6 corps to town each time. The bad part was it was in Texas in July, and liked to have killed us.

Only thing memorable for that first show (other than seeing Phantom win... :) ) was Carolina Crown's chess show - one of the bass drums jumped out from behind the chess pieces a whole beat early to start their solo.

Mike

On TV: The 1992 Finals on PBS, Phantom Regiment was the first corps. I was hooked.

In Person:

Moonlight Classic, Stockton, CA - July 14, 1995

87.9 Blue Devils

81.0 Santa Clara Vanguard

70.5 Velvet Knights

-------------------

76.5 Mandarins

72.7 Vanguard Cadets

72.5 Blue Devils B

68.4 Pacific Crest

64.4 Seattle Cascades

Blue Devils floored me. Their "Carpe Noctem" show, from the music to the guard uniforms, was the greatest thing I had ever seen.

This show was also my introduction to Drum Corps fan/audience snark. While this was my first live show, I had been an ADDICT for drum corps ever since seeing the 92 PBS Finals show. In the successive three years, I had bought the videos of 1991-1994 and memorized pretty much every note of every show in the Top 6 of those years. When Vanguard finished their puzzling 1995 show (which I didn't appreciate at the time--it was pretty rough early in the season--but has since become a favorite), I gave them a standing O. One of the friends of the people I was attending with scowled at me.

"What are you doing?" She scoffed, "They were TERRIBLE!"

I looked at her, utterly incredulous.

"But... it's VANGUARD."

SCV might have been only a tenth as good as the Blue Devils that night, but they were still 10,000 times better than any high school marching band show I had ever seen. It boggled me that anyone could be so complacent as to not applaud in awe at what they had just seen.

I try to remember that story every time I've attended a live show since.

Edited by hostrauser
  • Like 1