First Show You Ever Saw...

My first shows were on PBS when I was a kid. I lived pretty far from any live drum corps shows until one finally came to my town in 1996. I know SCV was there, can't remember the other smaller corps, but there were probably 5 total including BD. Fell in love with the blue and never looked back.

NightBeat Charlotte in 2000. I was 17 and right before band camp started. First corps was Tarheel Sun, and while wasn't really that impressed, it was just the excitement of something new that I had heard about for years but just finally seeing. Once Cavaliers came on that was my "watershed moment" and where I became a fan for life. Heh, I made a pun huh.gif.

I was at that show. I went around to rehearsal sites that day and remember stopping by Cavies while they worked on that rock out section.....it was mindblowing. I had never heard Cavies play cool music like that before. It was sort of hint of things to come over the next few years.

• 10 months later...

I've only ever seen videos... I don't have the money to go to shows...

But my band teacher was in BD '89, and he played the opener to us in marching band one day (Ya Gotta Try) - and I was captivated. And then he pointed out the two-valve "trumpet" that the soloist was using, and I went home and looked it up, and got into the world of drum corps.

And I'm glad I got into it.

High school marched phantom of the opera. It was based off of 1989 SCV and our director showed us the whole show

I've only ever seen videos... I don't have the money to go to shows...

But my band teacher was in BD '89, and he played the opener to us in marching band one day (Ya Gotta Try) - and I was captivated. And then he pointed out the two-valve "trumpet" that the soloist was using, and I went home and looked it up, and got into the world of drum corps.

And I'm glad I got into it.

Aw,

You could drive to the lot and watch hornlines warmup and practice if the shows are close enough to you, and then listen there. Also, near the end of the show, they stop collecting tickets. You could get in for an encore or something.

Edited by jjeffeory

1985, Normal, Illinois - watched through the gate (off on the side) and could see everything for about the last 3 corps.

1986 went back and did the entire show from indisde the stadium and was hooked.

Luckily, Illinois State University broadcast all the shows on their local TV station and I was able to tape them.

I bet they are still around somewhere at my parents house.

First one on video was 86 BD in middle school my director marched that year first one live was 2003 finals

I was a late bloomer...

2004 Broken Arrow, OK

Mood Swings - Bluecoats

007 - Cavaliers

Made me decide to march in 2005.

First performance I ever saw?

2000 Cavaliers, on DVD. I. WAS. HOOKED.