First Show You Ever Saw...

My first show was 2013 Tour of Champions in DeKalb at NIU. I had been casually watching videos since somewhere between summer of '08 and summer of '09 at that point. I had no idea how effing amazing something like a small ensemble performing a mixed-meter "Can Can" in the lot sounds in person, let alone an entire hornline during a huge brass hit. It's such a unique and overwhelming experience. I was nearly brought to tears multiple times, and corps I had no interest in on YouTube suddenly were amazing. Now I can't get enough. I've decided I have to march now, and luckily I still have '15 and '16 to do so. Can't imagine how long I'd beat myself up if I had discovered this activity after the age of 21.

• Like 2

First I saw in general? '08 Crossmen... ehhhh. I love my Crossmen now, but can we never do that again? Kay, thanks.

First live show? Tour of Champions in Warrensburg, MO last year. Amazing experience... and then there were the 10 year old girls screaming all the way through SCV because "OMG LES MISERABLES", ughhh

The first drum corps show I saw was Blue Stars 1978 in LaCrosse, WI. From the back sidelines. It was also the first show I performed as a Trooper. I will never forget it. I was in awe over the whole experience.

The first show I remember going to was Salem, Va in 2001. I don't really remember a whole lot about it considering I was only in 1st Grade, but I do remember that the show was the spark that caused me to want to be in Marching Band when I got to high school.

Took a few days off from here and nice to see this thread got "re-awakened". Exected to see a post or new since last year and have a page or two. :thumbs-up:

Because of health issues to family members I thought I would have to start a new thread about the last show I ever saw. But will be buying the FN hook up for my DCA side world and will still be watching.

And my friend Charlie... first show was AL Nats????? And Contras illegal for AL in 1962. Reading Buccs and Westshoremen Bonnie Scots had 2 (horizontal) valve sops in the later 60s that were illegal too.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

1979 - Drums along the Rockies. Old Mile High Stadium.

I'm from Albuquerque NM and my band director put together a bus trip to Denver to see the DCI competition. It was one incredible time. Hours of getting our faces blown off followed by a bit of underage drinking and debauchery.

Here's the corps that were there that night:

Spirit of Atlanta

SCV

Madison Scouts

Crossmen

North Star

Blue Stars

Sky Ryders

Florida Vanguard

VK

Madison and Spirit really peeled the paint off the pressbox but my focus was on the North Star and SCV drumlines.

It was like nothing I'd seen before. I've been hooked ever since - up until a few years back when synths and prancing became all the rage.

First show ever seen was 1988 on Video.... First show live.... Was the first show I marched in 1997 Ankeny Iowa I believe.

First corps I ever saw was the Madison Scouts in 1979. They performed in exhibition at one of the summer marching band competitions near Madison. For those who lived in the midwest back then, they had a really good marching band circuit in the summer. I was in the Crstal Lake Heraldry Guard. It was so much fun that it lead me to drum corps a few years later.

The first complete show I ever saw was 1979 prelims and finals in Whitewater, WI. Some 50 corps in prelims starting at 8am and then deciding to stay for finals and watch the top 12. Talk about an over load. LOL

Yes, for any of you who ever performed in Whitewater from 1979-1983, I was one of those crazy kids who got to the stadium gates at 5am to make sure we got on the 50 not to far from the top. Back then, prelim seating was all gerenal admission.

We watched almost all the corps each year. It literally took all day to get theough prelims.

I remember spreading our blankets out on the bleachers and hold 25-30 spots for the whole group of friends that would arrive a little later in the day. It was a blast.

Now living in the Pacific NW, kind of bites as the only way to see the final clean version of the corps is to go to Indy, or the weekend show in Allentown. Oh well, this will be the fist summer in since 2008 I will not be at finals.

1985 Whitewater Finals. My HS MB was competing at MBA summer championships. Show was at night.

That was all it took.

1 Madison Scouts 89.200 2 Garfield Cadets 87.400 3 Spirit of Atlanta 85.600 4 Suncoast Sound 81.300 5 Cavaliers 81.000 6 Phantom Regiment 76.300 7 Star of Indiana 75.800 8 Troopers 73.100 9 27th Lancers 70.900 10 Colts 64.000 11 Crossmen 62.500 12 Geneseo Knights 60.900
  • Like 1