Can someone explain the G Bugles?

The evolution of the brass instrument for Drum Corps has gone on for years. Its been a constant change. I have no illusion then that we are stopping now with the Bflats, especially in the soprano voices in the brass lines.

I can easily envision the next stage to be the addition of more tubing to allow a newly configured G that can likewise take adavantage of the full chromatic scale.

There were already 3-valve G horns before multi-key was passed.

Maybe someone will start a line of Eb or piccolo trumpets? Get those leads a head start by putting them above in the pitch range already?

We use Kanstul horns. I can't speak much for the other sections, but us sopranos use their powerbore ones. I forget the model number, I'll take a look when I get home later today. Nice punch with them though :). They're pretty great horns, not much to complain about them.

Hope you enjoy us though :) The last one's always the best.

Thanks, Hanover Lancers also use Kanstul (at least in the Bari line) and agree with the good words about them.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

No need to explain G bugles when you can just listen to them.

How about 1984 BD "La Fiesta" - one of the most awesome drumcorps "tracks" of all time:

Nice that their concert formation happens to perfectly match the mic placement. You can even see their two arcs perfectly in line with the pair of mics.

• Like 2

No need to explain G bugles when you can just listen to them.

How about 1984 BD "La Fiesta" - one of the most awesome drumcorps "tracks" of all time:

Nice that their concert formation happens to perfectly match the mic placement. You can even see their two arcs perfectly in line with the pair of mics.

We can't listen to a lick from 1984 w/o SCV's push from The Tender Land:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLk8bjnumrM&t=4m50s

I'm doing everything I can to get the music for this; the 2014 hornline will learn it for the 30th anniversary!

• Like 4

WoulgcKing tool a line if a corps wanted a line?

Not sure what you're asking because of the typo.

If it's Would King tool a line if a corps wanted a line.... I have no idea.

But there is a re-sale market for the Bb horns.

I know, but I always rather own than lease, plus I'm not sure how much the corps themselves get from resale.

At first, it was an interesting when the instruments were changing every year, but now I think the designs aren't changing as much.

It just seems like all the corps that can are leasing their cars... er instruments instead of owning... tongue.gif

Because sponsorship deals. The horn companies come out with new and improved models all of the time, so the corps sell off their horns after a year or two to finance new horns. Also, drum corps is very tough on instruments, so it's hard to keep them around for multiple years.

Are the models really IMPROVING so much now? I mean, 10 years ago... Yea! Now? I'm not in the loop to know.

Also, if the instruments are built well, they will be fine. Remember Star of Indiana used 1 set of instruments during their entire DCI tenure.

If you take care of things, they should last if they're quality.

I don't want to get onto a tangent on the disposable society of today versus the past (... and I mean 100 years ago) where things were made to last, but there seems to be that aspect going on here a little.

Wh

What good corps are still on G tat i can youtube.....any class. Not Marines....dont sound good what I'm finding on youtube.

You won't find one that sounds world class anymore. It's not the instrument's fault though.

Edited by jjeffeory