Can someone explain the G Bugles?

13 hours ago, cfirwin3 said:

Where's the zombie emoticon?

Maybe this will work...

:75_skull:

But for what it's worth, having marched in G and being a music educator and brass player...

I find the contrasting claims concerning the sound of the G and Bb/F lines to be dubious.

Not a trained musician or have a trained ear. But have played G from piston/rotor to 3 valves. Any difference in sound I might make out could be attributed to different manufacturers and different styles of playing. IOW when I would go to DCA I couldn’t pick out G or Bb corps by sound.

Here are some great videos which demonstrate the differences between Bugles and Trumpets.

The Soprano Bugle in G/D demonstrated by Trent Hamilton

2 Valve Soprano Bugle demonstrated by Trent Hamilton

A demonstration of the The Trumpet Family (Bass trumpet, and continues with the Bb, C, D, Eb, and Piccolo trumpets) by Trent Hamilton

• 10 months later...
2 hours ago, Grayman470 said:

Only watched parts and is he honestly talking like a single valve (1950s) sop bugle represents all G bugles? 

19 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Only watched parts and is he honestly talking like a single valve (1950s) sop bugle represents all G bugles? 

On 7/27/2019 at 9:15 AM, JimF-LowBari said:

Not a trained musician or have a trained ear. But have played G from piston/rotor to 3 valves. Any difference in sound I might make out could be attributed to different manufacturers and different styles of playing. IOW when I would go to DCA I couldn’t pick out G or Bb corps bysound.

As I said in my video, I am by no means an expert!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Grayman470 said:

As I said in my video, I am by no means an expert!

Thanks, always called my piston/rotor a “modified signaling device”. And that was using one of the better manufacturers.

• Thanks 1